The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

138 vote(s)
    84.7%
  2. Not for me, no no no

25 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    can you please tell me the measures of this bearing that broke? maybe it's a 12x28x8? thank you
    Syanur likes this.
  2. AG421

AG421 Scared... But willing!

Oddometer:
    *thinking very hard*

I don't know....
    We went down to the local Bazar and found one that was similar (same outer diameter and inner race) - but obviously you don't have many SWM dealers on the PAMIR highway...
    You have to work with what you get.

The unfortunate thing is that the bearing was the one one the cog/sprocket/drive side!
    Twoz a challenge to heat the thing up to remove.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The replacement bearing was different in the fact the the ball bearings were a little small! Not so heavy duty as the OEM ones installed.
    But it did the job to get us home.

The cam is being replaced on guarantee now.
    ~~~ Save the pork pies for later, get the sausage rolls while they're hot ~~~
    FR700, Syanur, Rotax655 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    unfortunately it is not sold separately. there is only a camshaft with a bearing inserted as a spare
    AG421 likes this.
  4. AG421

Oddometer:
    Exactly - they are replacing the cam with the pre-installed bearing and sprocket.

As seen in the parts illustration - you can only order part 5 - complete. [​IMG]

Rotax655 likes this.
  5. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    was it difficult to remove the timing gear? I saw from the pictures you used a stove. Is the gear secured with a locking pin?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9060I utilizzando Tapatalk
  6. AG421

Oddometer:
    VERY VERY VERY difficult!
    And also EXTREMELY risky because the geared sprocket is casted and rather thin. Too much force and then it's a clear "GAME OVER"...

No locking pin, it's simply pressed on!

I had one guy pull the gear and bearing off - but it looked like a butchers job afterwards... So I didn't go back to him to put it back together.
    I thought I would try myself (photo of cooking stove heating up) - but I didn't manage to press the gear on fully and couldn't get it back off either!
    I was stuck.... :-/

So I had no other option than go to a local 'expert' who I was initially advised to go to!
    This guy is a hugh toothless Russian working in a backstreet garage in Osh, Kyrgyzstan - and not able to speak a word of English!

I honestly had a bad feeling at first - but as my friend said - these guys really are experts working in these conditions. They have nothing else and work with what they have - constantly fixing things that we here in Europe would have long since thrown away!
    The guy was brilliant - put the half assembled part in his hand and woooosh, he was in his element and fixed it perfectly!
    Pressed on, washed, dried and re-greased...
    And he didn't want any money for the work!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Syanur, Rotax655 and cyclopathic like this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds quite story.. and recommendation, will keep in mind if ever find myself that way!
  8. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    all very interesting knowing the size of that bearing is important to have it in stock ....

Inviato dal mio GT-I9060I utilizzando Tapatalk
  9. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    I downloaded and installed this "maia" program on my computer, but it seems very simplified. I can not see the monitor for diagnosis. has any of you tried it?
  10. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great, I just saw this messsage. I guess it will be similarly easy/simple as Ibeat thing for 630.

How did you create the cable ? Can you share some caps from cable and software as well ??
  11. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    for now I have only installed the program on the computer. I do not have the connection cable but even without cable I would have expected another type of graphic display 20171229_164605.jpg

this is the aspect of the IBEAT diagnosis system for TE 630

Attached Files:

Syanur likes this.
  12. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw your posts on cafehusqy-ibeat topic as well, I thought u have TE630. So are you working on SWM RS650R ??

I would like to hear if you get any improvement about calbe and mapping etc... Good luck.
  13. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    exactly I have a TE630 and a few days ago I managed to connect the bike to the IBEAT diagnosis system. The new rs650r swm has a different system from IBEAT that I would like to know for curiosity. I hope that with the help of the forum here or elsewhere it will be possible one day to understand the functioning of the "maia" system used by swm. I hope someone wants to try this on his swm ...
    Syanur and cyclopathic like this.
  14. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Can you better explain the work you did?
    Did you cut a piece?
  15. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    My RS650R is blowing coolant out of the radiator. Looks like it might be a blown head gasket or warped head. Makes sense as I found the radiator leaking after a ride one day. I might have accidentally ridden it with low coolant and cooked it. :doh
  16. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Did the radiator have something go through it or just start leaking for no apparent reason? Mine blew a head gasket too but with no external leaks.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
  17. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    I dropped the bike during the ride then when I got home I noticed the radiator leaking. There was no visible damage to the radiator. It looked more like poor manufacturing to me. I've seen radiators all bent out of shape that still held pressure.

Why do you think yours blew? Were you running low octane fuel?
  18. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Cut the lug off , I used a disc grinder with a 1mm cut off blade, then install the footpeg on the same side of the bike but with the lug on the opposite side of the same footpeg that you cut it off of. Use the springs from the opposite foot peg The pegs will now be lower and back further. Takes about 20 minutes. I didn't bother tack welding.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
  19. Brick Top

Brick Top Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in China at the moment, I have been asking around if there is any dealers here that sell them but but nope. I saw one in town. There is only 7 million living in this town.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    No reason we could find for it blowing, it just had a blown head gasket and that is all. No external leaks, when I filled it up with water on the side of the road it just filled the cylinder up. Was riding in 32 degree heat with a months load of gear at the time sitting on about 110km/hr. I now have a temp gauge fitted and have ridden in hotter temps since although not loaded up. One thing that does make it run about 8-10 degrees cooler is filling the gap between the safari tank and the outside of the radiator otherwise the outer fins don't get the required air flow.