The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

137 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not for me, no no no

25 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    revamp of the Husky TE630, not quite like the TR650
    Pcfly likes this.
  2. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :D It doesn't have the Terra engine.
  3. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So has anyone heard when the SuperDual might be showing up in the US? I was checking out the specs on the SWM site and it looks like it is aimed directly at the G650RS, but is has potentially better suspension, a 6 speed gearbox and looks to weigh 40-50 pounds less. Hopefully, the price will be in the same ballpark as the baby BMW.
  4. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    From a Cycle World online article:

The first model to roll off the assembly line is the RS650R, a beautiful, lean and aggressive enduro bike powered by the DOHC four-stroke single that Macchi had designed for the then Cagiva-owned Husqvarna and that BMW never utilized when they acquired the brand from Cagiva. Nor did KTM use this engine when it got Husqvarna from BMW.

Now I see why I'm confused! :lol2

Nice looking bikes. I always liked the Huskys.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to trying this engine in the PR7 this fall.
  6. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
    Skowinski - its basically an updated version of the 2010 - Husky 630 (600cc), bike...yes if you read the reviews the back ground an history of the bike can be found.
  7. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
    Yes well some of us got fed up with waiting for the PR7 (although it looks great...) which still dies not have a definite release date and final details keep changing. Nothing wrong with recycling an engine that both BMW and KTM did not want, especially as its means both mechanics are familiar with the engine and after market goodies are available (mufflers, racks, fuel tanks, sump guards ... etc etc), and it comes to market some $5k under the nearest competition...
  8. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
  9. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told autumn of 2016 for the PR7 but have not heard a price point. The component parts of the PR7 are more expensive so I suspects will be considerably more than the PR5 with si little Zonshen 250 engine. Hopefully they can get it in under the $10,000 mark/ The introductory price for the SWM 650 Enduro over here was $9000 which was $1500 less that the KTM 690 and $2300 less than the Husky 701. It is now supposedly upto its regular price of $9500 which is still a little less than the price for the 430 and 500RS Beta models but more than the base model BMW G650RS. The Betas are he least expensive of the Euro 500 street legal enduros that we can get over here,. It will be interesting to see if SWM imports their 500 and how much they will ask for it. A 500cc Euro enduro at say halfway between that of a Yamaha WR250R and the SWM's Husky 501 cousin would be nice. i would not be surprised to the the SWM Super Dual hit in the $10,000+ range, especially of some of the farkles that have been on the show bikes come standard.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My local AJP dealer is saying in September he will have PR7s. I'm guessing in the $8k range in the US.
  11. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the bikes good looks.
    [​IMG]
    blackSP and highnoonhunter like this.
  12. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it makes it over here that cheap, they will probably sell as many as they can send to the US market even if it needs a bit of tweaking to get it where you like. Straight off the bat, you know that you won't have to spend $2000 for bigger fuel tank and rally faring. That would be at LEAST $3k less than KTM/Husky could deliver an 690/701 Austrian built rally style bike for. With that said, I would be more inclined to see an MSRP of at least $9K if not more,
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is just a further development of the engine used as a base design for the first KTM RFS engines, brought to them via Husaberg. Its got a long and storied past, been a motocross engine, a desert engine and everything else as a single cam. The DOHC heads from Cagiva were the best things on any of the Huskys from 2003-10. It should be a solid motor.
  14. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My one concern about the AJP as an ADVENTURE bike is that is uses the tank as the subframe and aside from it not having rear pegs, which is not big deal for me, it also doesn't appear to have any way to attach luggage, even a "banana" bag, at least not on the prototypes that we have seen pictures of. Also, I have heard tell that part of the frame or steering head functions as an oil reserve so no drilling holes in those parts to mount brackets. I see a need for something that you can either run straps too or tie in a support member for a luggage rack. That may not be easy as the footpegs and rear brake master cylinder on the prototypes both attach to their own little clevis/bracket welded directly to the frame and do not have the big bracket like the KTM and Husky.
  15. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 80's era Swede Husky frame as well. I like it!

I think you have it confused with the BMW Huskys. Looks like a standard tank to me?:dunno
    [​IMG]
    xr400r likes this.
  16. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the 630 tanks, pipes skid plates etc., will work?
    [​IMG]
    Pcfly likes this.
  17. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    Looks like the bikes so far have Marzocchi's, but since they are out of production, will they go with the KYB's like the small bikes or Sachs?
  18. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, the AJP, like all of their bikes, has the subframe rally type tank.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  19. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
    yes unfortunately the delivery date keeps changing as does the details of the final production model. in Australia we have contacted our importer who has confirmed some of the production model details and it sounds as though they have listened to some feedback regarding the rear sub frame will now be improved, we are told the price point will be around 14 k Australian which is just over $10 k US (current exchange rates). If this is correct and we have no reason to think otherwise it puts the bike close to the 690 price point so will have some stiff opposition.
  20. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
    Yes i can confirm all the husky 630 farkles for the SWM, in fact have just fitted a husky sump guard and purchased after market twin exhausts, and have luggage racks on their way. also the 25 litres safari tank in this picture - also fits giving a range of 450-500 km (this is from robin Box owner of safari), the 630 comfort seat cover fits, also touratech have all manner of parts made to fit the husky that will fit the SWM- the so one of the big attractions of this bike is a ready supply of useful goodies available - now!
    falcn and Huskyfatman like this.