The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

137 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not for me, no no no

25 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
  2. slicker

slicker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the best way to avoid lubricating your rear brake lever, swing arm and possibly rear disk when your bike goes over on the right with the engine running? Mine often dribbles a bit from the airbox because I have too much oil in it. Went over in the weekend with engine revving and made a heck of a mess.

The tilt sensor didn't cut the engine off, it probably wasn't at 90 degrees.

I know this has sort of been covered before. Somebody posted this as a solution https://www.htmracing.it/prodotti-m...ambi-husqvarna-smr-te-tc-350-410-570-610-630/
    Really just a different vent pipe - rather than venting into the airbox.

Anybody got a great solution? I've scoured the Husky sites too, but didn't find anything.
    vsaltao likes this.
  3. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put the right amount of oil :jack:D, mine also does that a bit if i crash, i just dont care about it (if its dripping so much you are putting way to much oil). That thingy with the filter shoud work (but a bit expensive)
  4. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I find the rear brake too touchy anyway, so a bit of oil will help with the feel. But seriously, I haven't had that yet, the oil just leaks out the bottom drain hose.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told the tilt sensor is disabled if you have the Arrow map.
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  6. slicker

Oddometer:
    In an effort to avoid the dreaded lubricated rear brake (disc, master cylinder, swingarm....) I installed a better airbox drain. Almost the same as this Husky owner http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/630-airbox-improvements.31335/

I used the same 10mm plastic elbow and some 10mm ID breather pipe. At the moment the breather is routed to the other side of the engine to hopefully lubricate the swingarm and maybe the chain. Didn't take long, unlike getting the airbox and throttle body boot back in place and clamped up.

Airboxdown.jpg outletdown.jpg
    The chain side image also shows my drilled out subframe hole with double nuts. So far no broken or loose bolts.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I like the hose mod slicker.
  8. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,......I think I just saw your bike on a facebook post. Was asking about what forks you had ?

Also with your single pipe mod.....are you using the Arrow map ? Happy with the performance ?
  9. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    I had the Arrow pipe sitting in the shed so i just had to give it a go. I'd suggest to just go for the Ozzie made Barrett's with Arrow map. Mine hunts a fair bit at around 3000rpm, doesn't bother me when on dirt havin fun but noticeable in traffic.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  10. slicker

Oddometer:
    Anyone had the chain come off and break off the top sprocket guard mount? I knew I'd dropped the chain - master link came off, but didn't know I'd broken the case mount till I went to put a new chain on.
    I see on CafeHusky there are a few pics of the same problem.
    The steel case saver guide is pretty flimsy and bent easily. I'm going to try to make a better guide out of thicker steel. Possibly adding a connection to the top chain roller mount.
    Anyone done a similar mod?
    CaseSaverWide.jpg CaseSaverZoom.jpg
  11. ontheroad68

ontheroad68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these RS650's still available? We don't get them here in the States, and I don't see them on SWM website. I was looking for a TE630 but there are only 2 for sale in the entire country and guys want almost $6K for a 10 year old bike. Thought I'd just buy a new one but I don't see them.
  12. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rs was killed off by euro whatever regs - no abs . The last batch were build around 2017 but I bought mine new in 2019 . You don't want to know about the deal I got!

The superdual was supposed to be a replacement - same motor, but lots of extra kg due to the metal and road going bits , abs brakes etc. Lower spec suspension, basically a klr 650 but with a husky motor
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Copied from the Superdual thread.
    Just sent my dealer a question on what SKF seals fit the Fastace fork.
    He replied that there is 45mm and 43mm forks in Fastace. Personally I cannot confirm this.

45mm Fastace forks SKF-KITG-45M
    43mm Fastace forks SKF-KITB-43S

I'd check sizes before trusting my information here.
    cyclopathic and Rotax655 like this.
  14. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For anyone thinking about fitting SKF fork seals.....Nick from Teknik made a few interesting observations re the Fastace forks.

The seal drag on the stock seals is very high,....so high they produce most of the low speed damping force. So if you use low friction SKF seals you're going to need more damping force to hold the fork up.
    Dr AT likes this.
  15. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before I start searching.....can anyone tell me where the lean angle sensor is located ?

Edit** Nevermind....just took the seat off and it was right in front of me. :fpalm
  16. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    Lean angle sensor is problematic on the RS650R (bike cuts out randomly), the Arrow map disables it.
    (That's what i was told and have had no issues since)
  17. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Made a deal today on a 2016 RS650R with 7000mi, Euro3 spec so without ABS. Going to pick up the bike in a week from the first owner. :clap

I had several 690R (3) and 701E (2) over the last 12 years. Also had an 650 Xchallenge a few years back.
    Test rode the SWM today and I liked the engine character. It was a bit like the 650 XCh. Quite softer than my latest 690R from 2019 (74hp) but a well fueled and usable powerband. Higher in the rpm's the 690/701 cleary runs much stronger. Nothing spectacular but the SWM felt easy and well balanced. I turned it around on a narrow 2 track jeep trail and it felt light and very controlled.
    The gearbox ratio felt better and more adapted to adventure riding than the 690. Longer 6th gear for sure.
    I plan to use this as a bike for day trips and some more technical parts of our European TET adventure rides. Next to my 790RR. The SWM would replace my 450EXC as I dont ride much hardcore enduro anymore since I broke my shoulder last year.
    The SMW 650 seems to have a true trail bike behavior, it doesnt fatique much, nor pushes you to run hard all the time. It felt in fact very relaxing and suitable to explore and ride around on trails all day long. Well, I only did a short test ride but this is what I concluded. So I pulled the trigger. I will post some pics when I get her in the stable.

Now I have a few questions:

- Which other wheels do fit the SMW 650? I have pair from a 690R/701E around but I doubt they will fit?
    - How to tune the Marzocchi 45mm usd forks for more travel than the 210mm? I believe it's the Shiver model? Or better swap for TE forks?
    - The gear shift lever felt ridiculously short and I only have size 10 boots. I could hardly get my foot under it to upshift gears. Any longer lever options available?
    - Which footpeg models fit? Regular KTM/Husky I guess? KTM EXC pegs? I need wider and lower as I am 6.2".
    - Clutch and front brake levers: which models fit?
    - Front brake could be stronger for street use. Can one adapt the larger SWM SD brake rotor with the same caliper using just a different caliper bracket? Or are the fork legs different?
    - Rear top rack can be fit from a TE630?
    - Is there a kit with a Y-pipe to convert to a single exhaust to lose weight? Can one use the stock slilencer for this?
    - Is a different clutch slave like Oberon a must or are the original not really prone to failure?
    - Is there a mod to keep the kickstand folded out when parked?
    - Twin Air foam filter: a useful mod on this bike?

Other observations:
    - Rear brake felt on/off and blocked (too) easily.
    - Engine RPM seemed high at 2200 rpm, even at running temp. Can one adjust this?
    - Stickers were peeled off, plastic parts had some scuffs. Can the plastics still be found new?

TIA
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The superdual gearshift fits nicely and is suitably long

The superdual wheels fit, and you score a rear cushdrive hub. The rims are slightly wider .

If you have the marzochi rather than fast ace forks, chances are you have the smaller front disc - by 2018 they shared the same forks / larger disc between superdyal and rs. Perhaps try better pads before worrying about a larger disc?

Te rear racks fit, as do safari tanks, seat concept seats etc.

Post a picture of your sidestand so we can work out why our Aussie stands stay down
    mrsdnf and ADV67 like this.
  19. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    Sidestand stays down when you cut end off the pivot bolt.
    Lower revs to between 1800-2000
    I'd keep the Marzocchis if you've got them and modify 1st before looking at replacements (i had the Fastace so went TE250 forks)
    300mm SD/later RS brakes are definitely better but fork leg/mount completely different unfortunately (i had to go back to the 260mm).
    Easy to mod std pegs buy cutting off spigot where spring sits and swapping to the top of the peg.
    This is a spare clutch lever i bought the other week. Screenshot_20210306-123952_Gallery.jpg
    ADV67 and Dr AT like this.
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know the ktm levers fit, I've been too lazy to try my spare ones from the 640 adv.

Speaking of lazy, I really should try getting a suspension guru to look at these fastace forks. I'd like to keep the bigger disks but definitely need to improve the forks