The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

137 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not for me, no no no

25 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210416_182921.jpg IMG_20210416_195049.jpg

600 KM 3 day ride around Portugal, damn hard to follow the 450cc with my riding level. But 100km street ride home after last day was way better on the RS :)
  2. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone replace the stock RS650R side stand to the superdual sidestand? As I have 31inch inseam, I drop the bike twice on the weekend because I couldn't flick the sidestand on uneven ground without tilting the bike way over too far and I couldn't catch it. I feel that the stand is too far forward, so it has a wide arc of travel, so you need to lean the bike more than necessary which is a struggle for short guys like me.
    [​IMG]
  3. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, i have SDX stand on my RS650R. Has a better angle and bend to it and i think it worked much better. I now have Husky forks which has completely changed the stance of the bike and required a base to be attached to the stand.
    Bonus.Shaker and mrsdnf like this.
  4. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    My 701 sidestand does the same thing...very annoying...you have to lean far right to retract the stand cause it travels in an arc not straight back...bad design...
  5. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok thanks, I've order the SDX stand and I'll give it ago. Hopefully this will fix my issue with the stand.
  6. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if I have I maxed out / bottom out my front forks. I know I'm close but I'm not familiar with the FastAce forks so I'm not sure if it is sitting on the fork bush or if there is a little bit of suspension travel left.

[​IMG]
  7. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you know the amount of stroke you can measure how much travel you use with a tape measurer..
  8. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a zip tie on the fork legs and you can see that there is about 50mm travel left until it hits the bottom. I'm just wondering if I'm at the limits and its hitting the bush or if there is more to go.
    The only way I would know is to disassemble the fork and measure it which I really don't want to do unless the seals are leaking.
  9. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    The TE630 seems to have the same Marzocchi Shiver 45mm forks as the early RS650R. As known the stroke is 50mm longer on the TE630 forks.
    Can one rebuild the RS650R forks to achive the same? What has to be done? Differents springs etc. Anyone done this before?
    TIA
  10. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    They look like the later Fastace 43mm forks (same as Superdual) in that pic. 210mm travel, maybe 220mm? Depends on what you read.
    Bonus.Shaker likes this.
  11. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i think they have something internaly that doesnt let them go all stroke. Just try to find some old te250/310/450 marzochi forks :)
  12. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The SDX stand made a huge difference. I don't need to tilt the RS650R to the point of dropping it now just to put the stand on and off the ground.

[​IMG]
  13. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any aftermarket fuel pump people has used and recommend for the RS650R?
  14. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    I have a cheap ebay pump i keep in my tool kit as a spare. Screenshot_20210616-210455_eBay.jpg
    Bonus.Shaker and mrsdnf like this.
  15. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the fuel pump should be plug and play?
  16. slicker

slicker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In case you were interested in what is inside the LED tail light. Mine went under water and the light became intermittent. The brake light worked fine. As you can see it has water damage but the real problem was the light wire broke at the solder joint. Easy fix.
    IMG_20210620_155121.jpg IMG_20210620_155138.jpg

Attached Files:

vsaltao, innathyzit and mrsdnf like this.
  17. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my rs650 has a radiador leak (right radiator) , i am thinking about going the chinese gpi radiators (abit bigger) instead Of reparing. Has anyone fitted those?
    slicker and innathyzit like this.
  18. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yes I have had them on mine for a while now. Couple of small mods to make them fit, but very happy with the result.
    vsaltao and slicker like this.
  19. slicker

slicker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally I got my left radiator back yesterday from welding. The repairer told me it was terrible aluminium to weld. The brown stuff is high temperature epoxy he puts on after welding and pressure testing.
    It was a 8mm split down the tube. Never been dropped, so I guess it was fatigue or electrolysis. IMG_20210621_140022.jpg IMG_20210704_120914.jpg The split was next to the blue mark above the centre mount.

I think I'll get Chinese ones even though this repair will probably be fine. Too many failed radiators reported. A recommendation from @innathyzit is good enough for me.
    vsaltao and innathyzit like this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I had my right one repaired first, but it sprung a leak eventually. The rad was pretty bent up though.