The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

137 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not for me, no no no

25 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $10K including what amounts to a "Rally Raid adventure kit lite" might not be that painful. It will be interesting to see. That is good news about the rear subframe.
  2. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
    looking at rs650r forks (and riding them) they are probably Chinese pattern copies with a sticker. The forks are the one aspect of the bike that could do with some improvement, but suspension is reasonable to fix compared to engine and plenty of bikes had 45mm Marzocchi factory shivers fitted so upgrading is an option.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  3. DirtBoy12

DirtBoy12 Gser

Oddometer:
    Yes well many adventure riders here have bought the 690 then spent a further $5k on making it a adventure bike total around $20k that's a whole lot of dollars when compared with the rs650r ... even when a few essential 'farkles are' fitted...
  4. BushX

BushX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of you owners get a good look at the subframe area near the rear yet and can confirm or deny it has been updated from the TE's that was prone to cracking when a loaded rack was fitted?
  5. BushX

BushX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way to tell from those photos. The grab handles on the SWM look the same as my TE ones. Not sure if I can link to posts from other forums, but here's a photo of the problem area on the TE630 sub frame; the entire tail light assembly, and any rack that replaces the grab handles, and load on that rack, is cantilevered off of the one area circled in red. Couple that with off road use like the TE or SWM are likely to see and the frame snaps at that location. All someone with a SWM has to do is pull the side cover and take a pic of how that cast piece where the grab handles attach, mates with the subframe. If it looks like it does in this picture, minus the bracing plate of course, then any SWM owners may want to consider bracing this section as Husky owners have been doing before loading up a rear rack with extra fuel and camping supplies. I'm just curious to know if SWM made improvements or just carbon copied the bones/drive train of the TE and tweaked the paint/bodywork slightly.
    SANY5009_1.jpg
  6. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That superdual looks like it is aimed right across the bow the the GS650 line but perhaps with a little more off road capability built in. The $64,000 Question is how much of that will come standard like on the little Zongshen and how much will be optional equipment and what will the price point be? We can be pretty darn sure that the Givi panniers will be a VERY pricey option, but what about the skid plate and those slightly sexy crash bars?
  7. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but everyone keeps skipping past the transmission ratios, unless I've missed a post confirming the actual gearing. It is the wide-ratio six-speed that made the TE610 and TE630 significantly better than the same generation KTM 690, and without it, this would be a disappointment for me. Can anyone confirm the Primary and 1st through 6th gear ratios (teeth)?
    Cocker66 likes this.
  8. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    This is what I found

SWM:
    final drive: unknown
    1st: 2.615 (34/13)
    2nd: 1.812 (29/16)
    3rd: 1.350 (27/20)
    4th: 1.091 (24/22)
    5th: 0.957 (22/23)
    6th: 0.880 (22/25)

Husky TE630:
    final drive: 15/42
    1st: 2,615 (34/13)
    2nd: 1,812 (29/16)
    3rd: 1,350 (27/20)
    4th: 1,091 (24/22)
    5th: 0,916 (22/24)
    6th: 0,796 (20/26)

So yeah, 5th and 6th are shorter on the SWM
    vico likes this.
  9. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check at home tonight (where I have the data), but I believe those are the ratios from the SM630 (the Super-Moto version).

Also, do you have the Primary ratio? That gear shifts the entire set either up or down. It would make sense that it is the same as the TE/SM-630, but you never know.
  10. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Dang, I just googled
  11. blackSP

blackSP Im 'in orbita ponendum simulat

Oddometer:
    It's not like the Terra at all, not even close!
  12. jimmy101

jimmy101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its no Terra this is 95% TE630 (eng frame ratios etc) but with small changes... My mate knows AUS importer and he has mentioned that some things like wiring harness are a bit different so Bazzaz ECU etc dont plug straight in.. but that's second hand info so cant say if its true. Im just happy I will have parts floating around into the future for my TE.
    Pcfly likes this.
  13. BrixNaix

BrixNaix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am considering this bike to turn into a lightweight adventure bike.

How happy are you with your bikes? Any problems?

I have a test drive scheduled for next week.
  14. mattpc

mattpc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi BrixNaix,
    No real issues, you might like to ensure a bike you buy has the latest ECU reflash, there's a modest improvement in running, starting and economy. I suggest to have a good think about comfort, it's ok, but it's dual-sport/dirt-bike ok, not road ok. If your idea of lightweight adventure has a lot of seal miles this bike could be hard work. If you're a high mileage rider, look hard at the maintenance schedule, clutch work every 10k, final drive has alloy sprocket and rollers that will wear quickly by road standards, cam chain at 20k etc. If your usage is a few sub 1000 mile trips per year and/or your background is dirtbikes, no problem. But a live forever Japanese bike this is not. Do some research on TE630 air boxes, clutch, water temp sensors etc. I've read some opinions that the motor life is around 25000 miles, or about half what can be expected from the DR650. No personal experience here though.

The rear subframe reputedly can't take panniers without mods to prevent breakage. I use a trail runners back-pack and travel light. Other options add weight and cost and IMO beg the question of: did you buy the right bike for your usage?

In my opinion, this bike is all about chassis. It's light, has good quality components and will respond very well to professional suspension tuning set-up. That is; it's quite good with scope to be excellent for around $1k chassis spend. Out of the box it's a vastly better than a DR650, but standard, as a light ADV bike I doubt it's better than a DR650 with suspension work to value of the price difference. The DR brings live forever low cost & maintenance with all the 'character' ironed out, has a vastly more extensive range of acessories etc.

All that looks like a vote against. But I bought one knowing all that. Mine is a 3rd bike with low usage. I bought it to cover my lack of talent on gravel roads and forestry tracks/fire trails riding with friends on F800's and the like. For this purpose it's just great, and a lot cheaper than a 690 or 701. On the sealed sections it's out of it's comfort zone in that company, but I'm well experienced there, I just ride around it's lack of power & brakes. On the gravel, on rocky rutted climbs etc I'm riding with the guys with dirtbike backgrounds on those 'middle-weight' ADV bikes. It works for me.

MattC.
  15. BrixNaix

BrixNaix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply.

I currently own a 990 Adventure that I find chaleging on the rough stuff.

So I am thinking about going ligther.
    The usage will be to hit the road just out of town and go off road from there.
    Sometimes I will need to do some km, no more than 300km, no highway, to get to some rallys.
    2 or 3 times a year I will ride with the wife on the back.

A used 690 is in my budget also but the fact of having 2 year warranty on a new bike sound good

Enviado do meu X11
  16. DavidM1

DavidM1 Stir crazy

Oddometer:
    This is all good information. Thanks for being a trailblazer.

I'm very tempted by this model. Just a bag ROK-strapped to one of those Touratech rear racks would do me fine - it worked well when I rented a CRF250L in Turkey this summer. Does anyone else make those racks?

Does it need some radiator protection?
  17. blackSP

Oddometer:
    Months later this thread is pretty much dead. Anybody ever got the 650r?
    Or am I the only one who's very happy with the swm?
  18. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last email I received from Motoman Distributing (U.S. distributor) was in September 2016, stating that it will be about 4 months to clear the U.S. EPA and DOT requirements. I hope to hear something soon.
    blackSP likes this.
  19. blackSP

Oddometer:
    Great, you're gonna like this bike!
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Mine arrives tomorrow. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet. Hope I like it.