The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

132 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not for me, no no no

24 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine dont......................
  2. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Nor does mine.
  3. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just buy old husky wheels and lace 17 rims. You will have two problems. Speedo will not work (it will work but give wrong values) and only with a disk brake it wont stop as fast as a SM. When my warranty ends i will probably do this and use a trailtech for the speedo (i think you can change wheel diameter on them)

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk
    SnagaHD likes this.
  4. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, and neutral is hard like Hell to find on mine :)

5. SnagaHD

SnagaHD n00b

Oddometer:
    How much warranty do you have? I have 2 years.
  6. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also 2, standard european i think. What i have found is that even with the 21 wheel the problem is not the swm but me :). Right now the only big problem that have is the stupid wooble from 110km hour.

7. Hallmar

Hallmar n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I have my 650r ordered here in aus and pick it up next tues. Cant wait.
    Was interesting to chat to dealers when i was looking for a demo to ride as 2 of them said they had whispers that the 650r was to be dropped from the lineup. The dealer at gosford rang up the distributer and they had a container with 25 bikes just landed so i got one of those while i could. Hoping the dealers right and it has the new graphics
    Anyhow i dont want the sd as i have a road bike for long distance stuff and i am sure there are more than a few like me.
    Been reading up all i can but there really isnt much info on modding or what fits from the 630 husky so will look into that a bit more.
    One thing i think i do need will be a longer gear lever as it seemed short with my joggers on

Oh and i was told only one years warrenty
  8. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a fun little ride
    Low speed fueling is an issue - perhaps an after market fuel module or ECU reflash ?
    Earlier posts on here mention an outfit in Aus that has done this ?
    Light weight with reasonable manners
    Has a neat mid to top punch - I could go up a few teeth on the rear though for technical stuff
    Anything over 280ks and you'll need extra fuel - no different to a DR - -
    Im with you on the SD - DL will do all that it will and I went for the weight factor
    I fabbed a lever from the standard one with one from a DR650..............way better with boots
    I notice the rear brake has very little creep before its fully on..................
    A few quirks with the RS but all in all Im happy enough

Gazz
  9. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gear lever off the SD is a longer alloy jobbie, and chop and swap the footpeg lugs to get them lower and further back.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Rotax655 and vico like this.
  10. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I don't find the low speed fuelling that bad except it tends to dig holes instead of just moving along nicely which is a pain if stuck on a hill or crossing slippery boulder rivers. I prefer the sort of soft power of a cv carb like my klr and bmw. Much better for traction. Heard the SD is softer off the bottom so may be an option to try a remap?
    DLRuapuke likes this.
  11. Hallmar

Hallmar n00b

Oddometer:
    Yea I found its always best to be on the newest map with my MV.
    Just rang up and my bikes at the dealers in the crate so its going to be a long weekend waiting
    So the SD shifter is longer eh ? I'll check it out next week as well. Is there any info on that footpeg mod ?
  12. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    Just cut off lug (spacer bit) where spring sits and put it on other side. I just tack welded in a few spots. Its a common Husky mod, a lot dont seem to worry about welding it back on, they just let it sit on other side.[​IMG]

Rotax655 and vico like this.
  13. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    A better shot of the SD gear lever. (Sorry about the dirt, just got back from another epic ride!)[​IMG][​IMG]

Bitingdog, vsaltao and innathyzit like this.
  14. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, be extremely careful when tightening airbox cover its very easy to spin brass threaded inserts, and go over your bike with spanners b4 riding. Other than that enjoy the new toy!

15. Hallmar

Hallmar n00b

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info mate I'll certainly check it out
    Tis great fun getting them dirty thats for sure
  16. CourtRand

CourtRand Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gian and roma258 like this.
  17. Hallmar

Hallmar n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 650r on Tuesday and only put 90k so far on tar roads. So far I'm very happy it purrs along very well.
    It's was a bitch to start cold originally so I charged the battery and seems fine now. Ive ordered barkbusters and a b & b bash plate. Also got an SD gear lever coming along with new graphics stickers as they have been updated to the same as the 500 same as in pic above
    Getting it dirty on sunday
  18. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is sad... I heard that they surely stopped R model, instead they are offering SD-X model. I didn't heard that they also stopped SM. What I know SM model is not available in (mostly) western europe countries, including italy, due to lack of ABS. I saw that they are selling SM in Poland. So I am also confused about where to find it.

We can solve it by getting, as mentioned, an old SM610/630 wheels but it will be costly. And there will be no mighty 4 piston caliper and big rotor...speedo will be wrong and as I know R model has softer and different travel length of suspensions than SM. So lots of pain...

I can suggest for ppl who likes R model to get ASAP because it will be replaced by heavier but more confortable DS-X model
  19. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Terra was a totally different bike, a lot heavier and based largely on the BMW 650GS/Dakar etc. This SMW 650 is a revamped Husky TE 630.

The TE630 was discontinued after BMW took over the Italian Husky operations and they thought by making a more street oriented 650 they would sell more bikes........despite the 630 being more of a competitor to the KTM 690. They basically wanted to target the KLR650 with the Terra 650......build a better mouse trap.......and depending on your point of view that never really happened despite the Terra being a modern bike with FI and sharper look then a KLR. BMW basically made a better 650GS with more hp and better looks but they never really supported the bike and it’s following slowly died off to only owners who knew what they had on their hands figuring out how to irone out the quarks. There are still a lot of these Terra 650 out there and they’re great bikes if you know how to work on them. The 630 is a fantastic bike and as witnessed, the motor is 98% the same in this new SMW 650. Yes the bikes on the heavy side, like the KTM 690, in the 350lbs arena (with fuel) but the gear box and engine work great as an ADV bike.

Look at the above write up, the Terra 650 and the TE630 get confused all the time despite the bikes being totally different.........not one thing on one bike being anything like the other! The TE630 is what this new SWM 650 is rebranded.....it’s more like a KTM 690. The Terra 650 is a slightly changed BMW G650GS.

Everyone tracking this thread should search out the threads here on ADV that have “Husky TE610/630” in thumpers.
  20. Hallmar

Hallmar n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride out in the forest today had a blast. The swm handled everything well although i do need to setup the front end a bit softer to travel over rocky terrain better.
    Although I did have problems with the bike cutting out a few times, probably 5 times in the 2hr ride. It doesnt happen at all on the tar but only on the dirt in any situation, be that up gnarly hills or just travelling on fire roads. It made a couple of hillclimbs interesting. When it stops it wont restart unless i turn off the key then it starts straight away
    Anyone had issues like that ? Guess I'll give a dealer a call