The TAT Preparation Thread-the logistical side of it

Discussion in 'Americas' started by leftystrat62, Dec 13, 2012.

1. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've bought a trail stand to fix flats on the road,but can't seem to figure out how to use it to safely remove the front tire.I did use it to get it off by placing it under the front fork opposite the kick stand,but very unstable:eek1
    The rear tire is no problem,but I'm stumped for the front-any help? I know I can use a log or rock as a center stand,but if that's not available what do you guys do??
  2. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I drilled a hole in the front right side of my skid plate to use as a support point for the trail stand. When in use, the trail stand should be angled to push the bike a bit rearward. Also leave bike in gear.
  3. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    Could you post a picture of this? That's a good idea and I may do the same.
  4. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:

Thank you for reminding me to buy this! Would have forgotten.
  5. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to there web site after I posted the question -has pics: http://www.endurostar.com
  6. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a pic with bike on trailstand for front wheel removal, but I just took this pic of where I drilled the hole in my skidplate. Hope this is useful. Sorry for the lousy pic; bike is currently buried in the garage.

[​IMG]
  7. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Just drilled a hole in my skidplate, thanks for the idea!

Question for those using GPS. My basemaps are the simple ones that came with mapsource, there's really nothing there. Are there basemaps I can use that won't take too much memory on my 60csx that have more detailed roadmaps? It really only shows some of the interstates, that's it for now.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

I would recommend Garmin City Navigator. I think you can get them for about $70 on DVD. Despite the name, these maps show lots of minor roads, probably >95% of the ones I ride.

But they also show a lot of minor roads on private land behind locked gates.

I also use Garmin Topo 100k and Topo 24k. I've had the 100k ones for about 14 years. They show more roads than City Navigator but are not auto-routable. The 24k maps are auto-routable.
  9. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 days to blast off:clap
  10. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Will I need a bigger memory card than the one that came with the unit?
  11. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Loaded my bike in a trailer to be dropped off in Shawnee, OK today! I'm considering hanging around CO with you if I feel like time isn't too tight.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't hurt and they are cheap. I did put one in mine but I can't remember what led me to do it.

I normally create maps for upload to the unit in Mapsource. It tells you how much memory you have and how much you have used when you add each map tile.

In addition to memory limitations the 60's have a limit of about 1000?? tiles. This isn't a problem with City Navigator since there are only 1 to a few tiles per state. It gets to be an issue with the Topo maps that have a lot of small tiles.
  13. oldtrucks

oldtrucks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rolled through Denio yesterday, still no gas. I asked the lady running the place if they would ever have it again and she said maybe a month, then asked if we needed some. She said she has gas at her house so if you're desperate you might ask, she seemed willing to help out.

Fields does have gas but they close at 5pm so plan accordingly
  14. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You gonna fire up a Ride Report?

We leave in 2.5 weeks... Bikes SHOULD be on a truck this afternoon.

[​IMG]
  15. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    How much are you paying to ship? I found a guy transporting his new racecar to IL and I'm having him drop it off in OK for me, for 100$. WOOT
  16. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:

way more than $100. I think the number was around $560 for shipment to Francois's shop in TN.
  17. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip man, We spoke about riding the first leg of the TAT together, but obviously you're on the road and I'm not able to.

18. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Wish I were riding with you guys, but I gotta be home sept 20th. I suppose you'll find my body on your way if I don't make it. :evil
  19. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has any got any updates if wended to reroute because of fires. Any specifics would be appreciated. I'm heading I to Moab this morning
  20. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not heard of any fires that would cause any problems for TAT riders. Hope that does not change. We leave in 6 days.