The TAT Preparation Thread-the logistical side of it

Discussion in 'Americas' started by leftystrat62, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    What is the riding like after la beta in Colorado? I think it's around milemarker 110. I had to run up to Colorado Springs and am wondering if I would miss much if I jumped back on the trail around 180.
  2. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    From CO Spgs take Gold Camp Road to Cripple Creek and make your way over to the TAT from there. It's all good. Won't miss much of the TAT. Coming into Salida from the north on the CDT is a great ride. County Road 53 to County Road 175.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will miss a nice ride thru the mountains east of Westcliff. Most of the ride from Wescliff to 50 isn't that great. The route zizzags thru a lot of ranch roads seemingly just to avoid pavement.

I thought the ride between Trinidad and La Veta was a little lame. Just seemed like county roads thru fancy private homes as best I remember.

Don't skip the ride mentioned above - the loop north of 50 out of Cotopaxi (sp?) and back down to Salida.
  4. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    It's good stuff for sure. You could take Phantom Canyon south from Victor, take 50 west to Cotopaxi and get back on the TAT if you want to spend some time riding. Either way is :clap
  5. ETD

ETD Enjoy!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys we are starting the TAT on friday and I was wondering if anyone has experience with leaving a truck at the trail head for a day or 2. Anyone ever done this? We will be having a buddy come down from Cincinnati to pick the truck up on saturday or sunday but we are planning to start a day or 2 before.
  6. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bad if I dropped the ball on that. Last time we spoke I thought we were both leaving at different times,that's the reason for no phone call. Finished it on Aug 31st-one humdinger of a trip from East coast to West cost .
  7. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was some go around in OR due to the fires, but could get back up there and still ride quite a bit. Can't give any specifics-just had to do it seat of the pants.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

This affects the TAT:

The Douglas Forest Protective Association declared the 48,679-acre Douglas Complex fully contained at 7 p.m. on Sept. 3. The incident management team, led by DFPA, will remain in place to continue mop-up operations, work on rehabilitation projects and patrol the fire lines. Despite the incident being contained, smoke from the interior of the fire will be visible until fall rains set in. The public is reminded that the Bureau of Land Management road closures around the Douglas Complex fires will remain in effect through September 10. At that time, the BLM will reassess the road closures and make adjustments as needed. The road closures are in effect to provide safety to both firefighters and the general public while work continues in the area.

You might be fine when you make it there or not, I don't know your plans.
  9. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Made it to my brothers place in bend. I think I'm gonna call it quits, my ankle and tires don't want to do anymore off road. Is there any riding west of gilchrist that is essential? Ive done so much amazing riding thinking I couldn't be bothered by stopping.
  10. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gee, been riding on this for four days now
  11. oldtrucks

oldtrucks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's something just West of there........what is it........oh, the Pacific Ocean. Don't stop, you're so close, even if you slab it all the way. The 1 is a nice ride back to San Clemente by the Sea
  12. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Just tighten the buckles and keep riding. What else ya gonna do?

13. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    I'll be making it to the coast, just not via the TAT. I'll be doing some research on road possibilities from here in Bend, I'm done with the rough stuff, gotta go back to work in a few weeks and I work on my feet 40 hours a week.
  14. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Now that's the way to do it. I just can't imagine having a ton of gear strapped to the bike would be much fun.
  15. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    It's actually helped me better my control of the bike. I would say 1/3 of my load is tent, bag, and pad. It's been worth it though, sleeping under the stars and stopping anywhere I want has been great. I only wish I had the money to afford saddlebags rather than a duffel bag, the weight so high up is a bitch when picking the bike up. At least the duffel has a handle on top to aid in lifting.
  16. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Camping gear looks like a ton of stuff on the bike. But my tent, bag and mattress only weigh about 16 lbs. That's not much extra weight and worth it to have options. Plus the lower expense especially when riding solo with nobody to share room rent. Even at 50 bucks a night on the low end that will add up to $1,000 pretty quick. Us cheap bastards can do a lot with that much money. :deal
  17. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Right, you can by moderately priced stuff at rei and be well under 20 lbs in camping gear
  18. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    No worries, No ball was dropped, I couldn't have done it anyways. It sounds like you wasted no time getting to and fro. How did you like it?

19. E1Allen

E1Allen UH-60 Pilot

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ride the TAT in 2015 after deployment. Plan on riding a big bike and packing super light. I planned on doing a camping shakedown on a weekend or two to see what goes and stays. I'm also going to try and see if MRE heaters can be used to warm some food somehow.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Icecold Dan

Icecold Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning to ride the eastern section of the TAT starting on May 19th of next year. I want to get as far as Denver, where I will leave my DR with a friend, then return to complete the trail the following year. My questions is, will I have any weather related problems getting to Colorado that early in the spring? I'm not expecting to ride the passes or anything like that this time around. I just want to get the bike into the state, where I will leave it and fly home. Too early?

Thanks