The Thing About a Liter Bike ...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jim Moore, May 7, 2014.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I've never even ridden a litre bike, (not going to count an old Harley), and the closest I've come to it was a Ducati 996, owned by a riding buddy.

I seldom use all the power of my current ride ('00 VFR), as I prefer to keep my license, so I don't personally feel a need for one.

However, I understand the allure of that much power, and have, at times, wanted to experience it.

It would be fun as a track day tool, but for street riding it's a bit too much. I'm finally learning restraint, at my advanced age, and don't want the temptation.

And then there's the insurance costs. No thanks.
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:

Same with my Aprilia. No issues to speak of. Lucky thing, because customer service from the factory is non-existent. Hey, they're Italian! :lol3

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  3. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    250miles, you're in Hawaii....? how u do that?
    Pohaku Rider and JCool like this.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Every Island is not Oahu.
    Benduro likes this.
  5. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a really fun road. Access road to the Mauna Kea visitors center. Been up it twice on rented bikes (KLR and Honda NC750), all the way to the observatories at the top , while vacationing on the Big Island. Speeds were a tad lower than that on the rentals.

The island is a fantastic place to ride.
    Benduro likes this.
  6. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :snore Pretty boring road , especially at the speeds in the video through the few turns there are. A monkey can twist a throttle open on a straight.
  7. wannasupra

wannasupra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    not that the S1KRR isn't a quick bike, it is, but the big displacement 4's are in a different class altogether. Did a big bore kit, carpenter head, and cams to complement the full system on my Busa, and I'll tell you what, they hid Dilithium crystals somewhere on that thing. Pulls like a freight train on PCP, terrifying every time you twist your right hand.
    Benduro and Fluke like this.
  8. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    i kept waiting for him to get to the terns... but then when i saw the helmet in the "upright" position the whole time i figured, "why wait?" meh.
    JCool likes this.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Still in love with the Diavel.

Not that I am using its 162 hp (didn't take it to the track yet), but immediately available torque is intoxicating. And the sound...

Funny thing, it is also comfortable lugging at low RPM, cruising along, Dr Jekyll like. Twist the throttle, and Mr. Hyde wakes up.

Tried Diavel X, cannot deal with forward controls, so chose regular Diavel. Issues? Forks started leaking at 21000 miles, and MAF needed replacement. Touring seat is the must, tall windscreen is very handy in Seattle rain, looking at luggage options...

20170401_220550197_iOS.jpg
  10. Pohaku Rider

Pohaku Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out standing looking motorcycle
    liberpolly likes this.
  11. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get that dent from?
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    The dreaded PO.
  13. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn , those are ugly. :puke2
  14. Mountain-horne

Mountain-horne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about a liter bike, is that it will take you to whatever edge you're looking for. Performance designed for sport, to go as fast as humanly possible. As a result, their potential for speed is usually much greater than the rider's abilities or what the road coarse will allow. In contending with these parameters the rider pushes to determine the boundaries of speed following the narrowing line of life and death. Twisting the throttle gives endorphines on demand.
    cal08 and High Country Herb like this.
  15. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    If I may be so bold, I think I summed it up on page three of the thread.

16. Pohaku Rider

Pohaku Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about liter bikes is> fun fast shit good and if your not mechanically inclined> it can be stupid bad $hit on your wallet too...just saying'.. GkoqLIVoB63sg121sgMJ4tWR8Ojw==.mp4 103_3428.JPG
    davyjones and Mountain-horne like this.
  17. Mountain-horne

Mountain-horne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on.

Here's a pic of my liter bike (2001 Aprilia Falco SL1000) when I acquired it. Since, I have moved the heli bars below the triple and cut the windscreen down because I was experiencing serious wind buffeting. Moving the bars back down is more natural for me. I considered the purchase of a Tuono, but after sitting on one, the bars felt too high because of the angle of my legs on the pegs. The Falco is about 120 hp and fairly quick. I also dropped a tooth on the CS sprocket, but swapped back after a few rides. Higher gearing suits me better. I'm running Michelin Pilot Roads and they only last 4k miles and are down on the wear bars.
    upload_2017-8-11_11-46-44.png
    Benduro, davyjones and Pohaku Rider like this.
  18. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    any time i'm feeling "fast" i'm gonna watch this video and realize how slow i really am.
  19. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unscathed knee sliders are always hilarious to see on the street. :imaposer
    Revolve likes this.
  20. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah , the bike in that video is quite a monster that is only 377 lbs. and 215 hp ... yikes

And cost is only $ 90,000 ... on sale now ...

[​IMG]