The Thing About a Liter Bike ...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jim Moore, May 7, 2014.

1. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Liter bikes exceed my capabilities, usually get me out of misjudgement with aplomb.
    They just work well. I'm still a work in progress.
    FWIW I always try to keep "reserve" in cornering, traction, or brakes. It is the way I ride the street or dirt. I can be very competent, but I do not bet on it.
    Disapline keeps me mostly reasonable riding.
    Pohaku Rider likes this.
  2. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Falco is a super cool bike for sure. But, it's not really a 'liter bike' in the spirit of the thread...and the only place a Falco makes 120hp is in a brochure. Hell, a 2nd gen Mille Factory only barely gets there, never mind a Falco. When you factor in power-to-weight, or measure stuff like 1/4 mile times, they were about as fast as a contemporary-to-2001 600. I say all of this only for reference; like I said, the Falco is a great bike. Hell, my current bike is a 1200, and a Falco would absolutely embarrass it in any sort of performance contest.

If you get a chance, ride a 'modern' 1000 multi. IMO a good starting point;/demarcation line would be the 2005 GSXR1000, as these are really the first of the truly ridiculous modern-era liter monsters. It really is an amazing experience, as you immediately realize that your previous idea of 'fast' was badly flawed. I remember riding one at Putnam at a track day that a friend had bought to take racing, and I just couldn't get my mind around the absurdity that was the way this thing felt when you fired it down the front straight. It was like punching the FF button on reality. I think I shut down and hit the brakes around 200 yards early for T1 because my brain couldn't adequately process any sort of race-ish approach to a turn at that velocity the first time around.
    Benduro, opmike, JCool and 1 other person like this.
  3. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    That's right - it's really about HP and torque, not displacement.
    JCool and Mountain-horne like this.
  4. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a friends 88 FZR1000 (genesis, pre-EXUP), PO assed up all kinds of stuff, it's still jetted like shit but it's gotten to the HOLY SHIT power level.
    The motor hasn't been leaned on I don't think, just a stupid loud pipe and when you're on it a stupid louder sound from the K&N's that replaced the intake.
    Not sure it's any faster than stock, but stock had plenty of HOLY SHIT.

Bike had a hard life with a different motor, it took us awhile to figure out what the funny brackets welded to the swingarm were for.
    Alexander B likes this.
  5. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    My condolences. You are SO going to need them before you're done with that POS.
    Benduro likes this.
  6. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    ;)

[​IMG]
    davyjones and Ginger Beard like this.
  7. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update- bike was jetted stupid rich, got pretty good at a carb R&R on it, thermostat was opening late and not all the way, one plug cap was too short because it should have been straight not angled, wires to the coils were pretty corroded, now it's got a bit more proper power.
    Before, full throttle in 1st was an option. No more!
    I and my friend both noticed an 2 or 3, sometimes the steering really didn't do anything...

I still think it would run better with an airbox, not pods.
  8. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    If those are CV carbs, an airbox is mandatory. It'll never run properly with pod filters.
    Yard Sale likes this.
  9. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it does have CV carbs.
    I harbor the same sentiment, it runs OK if you treat it like it has manual slide carbs below 3500 rpm, unfortunately PO got rid of the airbox.

I'm fighting the same issue on the same guys XS750 triple, but with the added fun the gauze pod air filters have a shoulder on the inside that blocks all the damn ports on the carb bell!
    Just like this one, the rubber boot taken off the pod and put on the carb:
    [​IMG]

This is typical of pod filters with a metal end cap on the carb side, some gauze (like K&N) and pretty much all foam pods have a rubber end cap and they don't have the shoulder.
    I'm going to try to extend the pods back a bit to dodge this and try to play with where the torque peak hits.
  10. 1 wheel peel

1 wheel peel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    bump
    norther, davyjones and Benduro like this.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    ZX10R? It looks so smooth and roundy I thought it was Italian or something. Tail delete looks good too.

I see lots of sandy patches that might challenge that thing in the traction department...
  12. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    and weight, brakes, tires, suspension and big balls. hehe

It isn't a litre bike or busa but it sure does sound sweet with the triple singing loud and clear! Anyone hear one of these out on the road? I'd say they are like a big supermoto.

13. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Speed Triple 1050 last weekend. Just an awesome bike.
    PB050222.JPG
    Benduro, davyjones and drbuzzard like this.
  14. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. norther

norther Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer:
    That looks more like a Honda to me. CBR1000R?
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Spacing the pods back between 1" and maybe 2-1/2" will (probably) reduce or eliminate the mid-range flat spot but it will still fall flat on top. If you can find some pod filters with foam all around and no end cap, they will work better but replacing the airbox or the carbs is the only really good solution.
  17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I've decided that riding a liter bike in traffic is like having a superpower. At any speed, in any gear, just roll on the throttle. In a few seconds all the traffic in front of you seems to come to a stop, and you're the only one still moving.
    1 wheel peel likes this.
  18. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had my first true literbike experience on a 2013 GSXR1000 this week, Warp drive tunnel vision mist be experienced to believe, even at high altitude there's nothing else like it. I was kinda surprised how gutless it was on the bottom compared to my old CBR900 but I guess you can't make that much power without compromise.

This is what bothers me about getting the far more reasonable GSXR750 because all I really care about is carrying a lot of corner speed and that GSXR "feel" of being in the bike and close to the ground. But if there's even less on tap before the power hits I'm not sure I'd like it very much.

I wonder how a 750 with lower gearing would feel compared to that 1000 below 8K?
    oldskool63 likes this.
  19. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a good laugh with some cheater liter bikes today. I was on a Tuono 1100 and ran across a gentleman on a newer Super Duke with akra and rottweiler airbox + tune. We had quite a bit of fun riding, then bs'ed for a bit at a gas station. I know riding a slow bike fast is fun (started riding on a drz400 sm) but riding a fast bike fast takes the cake.
    doc moses likes this.
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    If you have ridden both the Tuono is more finess and touch, where the SDR is a bloody point and shoot hammer.

Both are brilliant, and I would love to swap my SD-R for a Tuono 1100 factory.....and my Multistrada for an SD-GT.