The Thing About a Liter Bike ...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jim Moore, May 7, 2014.

1. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden a SD, but would like to, it was the other bike I was considering, but getting it with an up/down QS meant buying new with options and that made it too expensive.

I was able to pull away a bit on the Tuono, which surprised me because I thought he'd eat my lunch on the straights. I loved the looks of his SD, other than the shrouds up front it is very minimal. Engine, frame, swingarm, gas tank, with the motor almost totally visible with the trellis frame. Very cool, we're lucky to have such great choices.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Stock for stock the Tuono 1100 should pull an SD-R....barely. The Tuono needs to spool the SD-R doesn't so it excels in tightish mid-range affairs.
  3. 1 wheel peel

1 wheel peel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had forgot about this thread. Yeah, '09 1krr.
  4. 1 wheel peel

1 wheel peel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forget who but someone over on the ZX14 forum commented once, "pin the throttle on a bike like this for five seconds and it's all on coming traffic". I'd say that applies here as well.
    Jim Moore likes this.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    And sometimes a chunk of money from the wallet along with the cake if certain parties observe said riding fast.

Not sayin' it ain't fun and that I never do it, but from experience...
    texag10 and DOGSROOT like this.
  6. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I'll say is I am glad the roads I ride don't have good spots for a photographer to post up and make them famous and bring LE scrutiny above the current non-existent state.
    doc moses and DOGSROOT like this.
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    One of the beauties of SE Ohio, so many roads so few LEOs, but the more wide open litre bike friendly roads are the highways, the SM and dual sport riders can have a blast on stuff that is rougher or tighter than work well with the litre bikes.
  8. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I've ridden an 06 gsxr1000, 07 zx10, 16 R1, busa, and a 16 SDR for liter bikes....theyre all ridiculous. The gsxr actually scared me, compared to the zx10 it felt like a 600. The R1 was the 2nd most boring bike ive ever ridden, and the SDR was the most exciting BY FAR. I only found the wheelie/traction control on the R1 because I was trying, and I violently found both on the SDR

I have no self control though, so I don't have a fast bike anymore. My personal favorite bikes are the middle weight Nakeds, #1 is a Mv Augusta Brutale Dragster.
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    After riding the Ducati XDiavel, I want to ride the Multistrada 1200.
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Pulling onto the freeway one blue sky evening I was suddenly blinded in my mirrors by the low hanging orb of the sun. I couldn't see diddly behind me, nada. Moreover, I was tucked in and couldn't just stop or pull off the road. So I did what any red-blooded biker would do on a fire-breathing race bike (a 2003 Honda 954rr).

I twisted the throttle, hard. I was more or less instantly moving at 100 mph. My thinking is whatever was behind me was not going that fast. Whatever was in front of me wasn't either, but I could see and avoid them. That wasn't the first time that wonderful sport bike saved my six, but it was the most memorable.
    motrhead, Rob578 and Jim Moore like this.
  11. GiddyThump

GiddyThump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With great power comes great responsibility.
    My fastest bike is +/- 140hp and I cannot imagine needing more....I dream about having more.
    Fluke and motrhead like this.
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The 1260 is the one that shares the motor.
  13. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I just did a east bound and down trip in my 2015 Subaru Forester. I thought of this thread often and especially @cyclopathic
    I'm in SW VA, now.

My first 24 hours I did 1,007 miles.
    Total trip was 2,400 miles. Wednesday noon, to Friday at 8:30pm. No tickets or wreaks. I did not see any wreaks either. Or see the after math of one. It was a miracle, I guess.

I typically like to to drive 10 under the speed limit and just let the rat race roll by. Also, I pick up the speeds if the group is also going fast.

However, I needed to be at a family engagement, so speed was important.

It felt odd to do 85mph. After a while, I was ok.
    Traffic was light in southern MT and and eastern Idaho, and of course WY.

Around mid Nebraska things got more traffic, and continued to get worse.

It's annoying to being in the right lane, doing 8mph over the speed limit, so 80mph+ and you will be slowly creeping up on a cage in front of you and then a cage is slowly passing you in the left.

In St.Louis, we were crusing at 70mph and it's kind of twisty. I never knew were the next traffic jam was going to be around the next concrete corner. I would have preferred 55mph.

It was some crazy racing... errr I'm mean driving in near Nashville, TN. Total one way cagers were going around traffic on the right when me and the congo line on the left was speeding.

I never thought I need more torque and hp with the 4 cylinder boxer twin of the Forester. However, I can understand why others might. I just planned my passes because I was more focused and less distracted.

___
    To be a good steward and Ambassador on a MC, we can't break the laws and lane split at high speeds.
    So, I'd rather just have a liter bike for the really good service intervals and wind protection, and some of the nice goodies like cruise control. I reckon it's just my style.

I think the S10 (2014) would have been a good MC for such a trip. I did see one of those in Missouri or some place. The cruise control and range would be nice.
  14. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't know the Subaru Forester was a motorcycle. I thought is was a soccer mom car.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  15. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about a Subaru Forester...
  16. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
    The left most Lane is for passing, not speeding. If you're going five over the limit camped in the left lane along with others, you're all doing it wrong.

While an S10 meets the technical requirements of a "liter" bike, it shares nothing beyond a similar displacement to the 150-200+hp misses that the term "liter bike" really refers to.
  17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I keep trying to think of ways to describe it adequately. I've decided it's like having a superpower. In traffic at any speed, in any gear, just roll the throttle all the way open. Within a few seconds it seems like you're the only one still moving, and all the other vehicles have come to a stop.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  18. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know exactly what you mean and at 61 it's just as addictive as it was at 18.
    1 wheel peel likes this.
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    "It's like having a superpower" was first stated all the way back on page 1, if I'm not mistaken. ...and it's still one of the best ways to describe the experience of twisting the throttle hard on a 150+Hp bike.
    Jim Moore likes this.
  20. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    170+ HP bike....

Alien SuperPower.