The Thing About a Liter Bike ...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jim Moore, May 7, 2014.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    170hp @ 102ft/lbs

In a country where the highest posted speed limit anywhere is 120km/h ~75mph le sigh.
  2. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Nice.

And (I'm assuming you're a white dude) the cops would have trouble ticketing you!!!

A few poorly pronounced, intentionally ambiguous Japanese words and you're (both?) laughing!!!!
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    That depends entirely on how close to a base you are.

The thing with Japanese police, the citizens here take pride in being good citizens, they are genetically unable to misbehave. So the police are more likely to pull over a lady for riding a bicycle with high heels on (I am not kidding) than they are likely to put forth the effort to chase me down on a "big bike" breaking every traffic law out there.

Near a base they have a translation card (which is amusing in its own) AND a form that they forward along TO the base, this is how Trippy got his license suspended (by the base) for 6 months. Oops, lucky for me I had an international license at the time, so they could suspend my base license all they wanted I was still good to go off base because they can't touch my state/international licenses. So fuck em, last time I behave, that was for going 114km/h in an 80 which is keeping up with traffic, I just happened to be the last in the line that morning.

Away from the bases they look at my half translated no picture having DoD issued drivers license, my CAC and my state licenses (and of course I don't speak/understand a single word of Japanese) and basically wave their hands and tell me to knock it off. Which has also gotten me a stern talking to. I found the ONE frigging Japanese cop in Hokkido that went to school in the US. Forget what I was doing (I am sure speeding was involved)

Young guy gets out of the car starts rattling away in Japanese......"I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese" My wife (whos fluent) doesn't speak Japanese yada yada.

Dude gives up and goes back to the car. I think I am clear.

Older guy gets out, walks up and with FUCKING SOUTH BOSTON ACCENT, busts out with "Yo, how fast you think I caught you at"
    Well fuck.
    "Damn learned English in Boston did you?"
    and he started laughing, told me to slow it down in a long drawn out fashion and turned me loose.
  4. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just went through a lot of this thread but I need a reality check.

I live in east germany near poland. There are country roads through gentle hills and lots of unlimited autobahn. I have a budget which allows me the following bikes :

2005 GSXR 1000 ($4000, 60 year old original owner, stock, 25k miles)
    2003 CBR 954
    1999 Aprilia RSV Mille (~$2200, 25k miles, 2nd owner. first was a mechanic, don't know if that's better)
    Maybe Ducati 999.

I am leaning toward the Mille since I will mostly ride around town, with only an occasional blast on the highway.

However, since I live in germany, I thought it might be nice to have something stupendously rapid for a while (Is a Mille stupendously rapid ?). If I ever move back to the US, I'll get a '93 or '94 Monster 900.

The two bikes in question :

Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 11.36.02.png

Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 11.35.37.png

Oh, and I also have a Tuono 125 at the moment.

Arrow_system_with_Road_Kevlar_can_APRILIA_Tuono_125_2004_66116.jpg

But for now...

Which should I get !?
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Firstly, if you are coming off a 125cc, a 1000cc sport bike may not be the smartest choice. Also, if you have a limited budget, I hope you understand the significantly higher cost of operation for the larger bikes.

If you are ok to go ahead in spite of the above, IMO the Suzuki or Honda will be the most reliable and cost-effective bikes of that list to own. Aprilia or Ducati might be ok but there's a much greater chance you will end up with an unreliable money-pit.

My advice would be to get a 500-650cc bike for now and trade up to a 1000cc, if you still feel the need, when you have more money and experience.
    neanderthal and richrd like this.
  6. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I just mean that I already have something for in town. I've had an R1, 400 EXC supermoto, and a bunch of other bikes before and got my license in the 1900's. I've been to a half dozen track days but I'm really nothing special when it comes to caning a bike around a track.

I don't really care about the cost, it can't be worse than the 125. I rode it 5km and it seized and now I am tearing the engine down completely. So far it's cost 100eur / km.

oic likes this.
  7. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    In that case, the GSXR - but you will find the RSV Mille has more "character" if you can live with that.
  8. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Which of the two do you think would be more fun to ride on country roads, the autobahn, and in Poland / Switzerland / etc. ?
  9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    The 2005-2006 Gixxer 1K is still thought of as the pinnacle of liter bike development in some circles. I'd get that one.
    scott123007 and sodapop like this.
  10. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Ergo's should be about the same. Aprilia MIGHT be better handling. Suzuki leads performance and reliability.
    I am a V-twin fan but Aprilia's troublesome reputation would probably drive me to the Gixxer. RSV Mille has a higher seat if it matters to you.
  11. Marto71

Marto71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my fireblade after I developed back and neck problems and now only ride upright bikes, I really miss the "shot out of a canon" feeling you get with that power.
    The thing about a 1k sportsbike is........it's fucking awesome.
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Aprilia is a larger bike and a bit more comfortable for longer rides as is. Either bike can be made comfortable but the Mille comes pretty close out of the box. I found the Rotax twin far more usable in daily riding than a big I4. And the rumble of a big twin at speed is a tonic for daily stress relief.
  13. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna confess, I'm 26 now and I've never quite been bitten by the super-/hyper-sport itch. There are a few that I think look really neat, but most of those are twins or triples. All the I4s that interest me are either vintage like the OG oil-cooled GSX-R, or sport-tourers like the ZRX1100. I'd certainly love to try riding a true sportbike, eventually, but I wouldn't own one at this stage in my life. Especially with what insurance costs for one, relative to my 250cc dual-sport...
  14. 1 wheel peel

1 wheel peel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a little biased having an `05 GSXR1k in my stable w/58k miles on it. One valve check at 50k miles, all in spec. Yeah I'd go with the GSXR out of what you've listed there.
    DOGSROOT likes this.
  15. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love Aprilias, but I'd get the GSXR. I like knowing my vehicles will work, and Suzukis are reliable as hell. I beat the living shit out of my sv650 and it never missed a beat. but there is something to be said for the twin sound.
  16. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean something like this. It's even a liter bike @ 1175cc.
    [​IMG]
  17. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Just get the Aprilia! you know you want it!:raabia
    DOGSROOT likes this.
  18. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I'll have to—the guy sold the GSXR in a day, and the RSV has been on sale for ages. I know the GSXR is (was) a way better value (with newer tires, chain, and registration), and below market value, and delivers that druggy speed hit, but realistically I'll mostly be rolling around, and for that a twin is much nicer (plus it's going to live outside on the street and the GSXR is more attractive to thieves).

The GSXR appeals because it is the most banzai ever, but I prefer twins and the RSV still has as much power as a ducati 998 and will still go to ~170 (true?). Seems nicer in town + sounds better too plus is half the price (though it will be more difficult to sell eventually and if I flog it on ebay I bet I'd get $1500).

Both head and heart say RSV but I kind of like having the keys to a death machine sitting on my desk while i'm at work. Just don't like the zizziness when I fire it up at 6 PM. I'd rather have a deep growl.

If I were going to get a real 1000 I prefer the looks of the early R1s or GSXRs to the transformer-looking K5, but dang that thing would have been sweeeeeet.
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top speed depends on gearing with the Mille. What's it matter anyways? It's far more fun in third gear on a tight backroad. I've a few landspeed records so I know the difference. :bmwrider

Get a good cover and lock if will live outdoors.
    DOGSROOT likes this.
  20. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Aye, the Kawi big boy sport-standards are the only I4 heavyweights to stir my soul. But those are bikes that live their best lives on twisty Japanese mountain highways, moreso than the racetrack.