The Thread of 2020 Cancelled Plans

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by boulet_boulet, May 30, 2020.

1. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of us watch this site to armchair travel and learn of fellow inmates exploits and accomplishments. It can be thrilling stuff.

Summer 2020 was to be my turn to take an epic ride. The stars, planets, my employer, household, and finances all aligned for a trip that was to take me mostly on dirt from Maine to N. Carolina, out west to Nevada, north through Idaho, into Canada and east across the Rockies, prairies, etc. back to Maine--about 12,000 miles of fun in the sun (and wind, rain sleet and snow too). We were to camp from late April to mid-July. I spent months poring over maps, gathering gpx tracks, working on my gear list to find what I hoped would be the 'just right' balance of weight, comfort and function. My riding buddy and I communicated sometimes hourly about that day's thoughts for the long ride ahead. It might have been -10 outside but we knew that, come April, we were busting out, rushing the spring southward. I was superuberstoked to go.

Here is the very rough outline, though many of these tracks would not be pursued and others were later added as options.
    big loop.jpg

On January 30th, my riding buddy, who tends to be ahead of the curve on lots of issues, brought up COVID-19 as a possible factor in one of those planning emails. His message:
    "Corona virus. There, I've said it. We can now proceed with our plan without considering it again."

If only.

My reply was nonchalant.
    "Motorcycling is a calculated risk. We're just adding new risks to the calculations."

Ugh. Again, if only.

The trip is currently officially postponed. It might happen in August in reverse order, or in a modified format. But I am not counting on it. Borders are closed. Quarantines for new arrivals in states are in place and we don't know when *this* will all end...

Next year is possible, but who knows what changes will take place in a year? My bike could blow up. Heck, my LIFE could blow up. People get sick, they're mortal, who knows if a vaccine will come to be and what a 'second wave' looks like?

If you feel like it, please share your cancelled plans catharsis below and we can all COVIDmiserate together.

Thank you.
  2. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I was planning to take a trip in June to Montana. From PA, through the Canadian plains, south into MT, back thru WY, NE, Iowa.
    Nope. Not going to happen.
    Hell, going to be hard enough to do a day ride and eat IN a restaurant!
    :(
    TreasureState likes this.
  3. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By now I've usually had two multi-day (let's call them extended weekends) motorcycle/camping trips under my belt, one of them being spending a few days in the Smokey Mountains...A more or less annual event for me.
    So far...Nothing. Although I can be pretty self-sufficient with my meals, a lot of campgrounds were closed as were a lot of places I wanted to visit...Not much point in going, then.
    Making any more detailed plans now seems like an exercise in futility, so I figure I'll wait until things open up a bit. I always have an "idea list", though.
    I made reservations for my usual trip out West in August, but with our first grandchild due just about that time I might have to change those plans, too. (Not the grandchild...Just the trip. :-) )

So, my plans for the rest of the year? Just rolling with the punches.
    TreasureState and Macho Man2 like this.
  4. cxa0897

cxa0897 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had plans to celebrate graduating with my master's and relocating across the country with a little fly and ride. Was going to move and then fly back to get my bike in May, taking the longgg way back.

Had a 2 - 3 week trip planned from the midwest, through the rockies, into the southwest, and eventually settling in the south. That didn't quite work out so I dragged everything with me and am planning a new trip. Have done a few day trips to explore the area and am in the process of sorting out a 5-8 day trip within states that are fairly open.

Being young and healthy it's been a tough pill to swallow, but I'm trying to do my best to operate within each state's guidelines and still manage to make something of one of the few free gaps in my career I'll get.
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to fly to Germany rent a bike and spend a month with my best friend riding through Eastern Europe. Had the time off planned and approved, money saved, girlfriend on board, his wife on board, everything seemed perfect.

Now? It’s all closed. I was supposed to leave July 1, and even if Europe opened a little by then, most of the cool stuff to see will be closed, border crossings will be iffy, and we’d be worried the entire time, constantly checking news to see if we’d be able to make it into - or out of - the countries on our route. In short, it would sorta suck the fun out of it.

Probably going to have to put it off to next year :(

Charles
  6. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far, I have one race under my belt this season, the rest have been cancelled and future races are up in the air.

Supposed to be getting drunk in a Vegas pool mid June. That’s cancelled and going on a riding trip instead.

My wife and I were supposed to go on a week and a half motorcycle trip through Glacier, I’m going solo.

My cousin is getting married in October, don’t think I’ll be making that either.

First world problems, at least I’m healthy, employed, and still riding. I’ve done more single track dirt bike riding so far than I have in years. Plus getting caught up on maintenance.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had to indefinitely postpone a couple of trips. Each time I was able to go one year later and may have had better trips because of it.

Most pertinent is the motorcycle trip from Maine to Inuvik planned for 2012. I had the usual excitement, planning, and data gathering for it. The ride was just two weeks away when I got the call. A family member was having a health crisis. Although they said "go anyway", I couldn't. I decided the trip was canceled instead of postponed since I had no idea if the crisis would be resolved in a year or two or three or more.

I stopped reading about Inuvik and roads in Alaska. I stopped reading ride reports up that way. My bike and equipment were ready for the trip. My priorities were elsewhere.

The next year, about a month before the summer solstice, I unexpectedly found that I was free to go. Some of my info about road condition fuel availablility was out-of-date, but I just went.

I also had a long and challenging trip planned for 2020. I consider it postponed indefinitely. My response is the same as in 2011; focus on what's in front of me now, not on the trip that isn't. The maps and equipment will still be there whenever the trip becomes possible.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Canada-US border closure extended until June 21st to non-essential travel. With the race to open everything up south of the border and the obvious spike in new cases (duh), expect the closure to be extended further.
  9. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was going to the Austin MotoGP .... that's been postponed till November, but its not looking good

August was going to be Isle of Wight .... cancelled
    October was going to be Iceland..... air carrier cancelled my flights

Looks like all the travels for the next while are going to be without a passport, perhaps regional .... I wonder if there a record for going around ones own block?
  10. oldspice1972

oldspice1972 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not going to be a “normal” spring/summer, is it? My first trip this year was to be the end of April/beginning of May down to the GA Mountains BMW rally. that got shut down in March, so the hunt was on for other week-long trips I could manage. The last few years, I combined a work trip with a motorbike trip, bookending a week work trip with 3-day motorbike trips on each end. Worked out nice (I live in Iowa and my office is in DC, so lots of interesting places to visit between here and there). Plus, I got personal vehicle mileage! So, maybe that’s what I’ll do this summer. Nope, office is shut down - everyone’s working remotely.

Hmmmm.... what’s next? As parks and campgrounds slowly started to open up, I charted a course west through the Black Hills and into WY/MT. I booked campsites as soon as I was able and, so far, I think/hope the trip is still on. I’m heading out on 6/15 for a week or so. I’m wondering how crowded sites are going to be with everyone being all cooped up for the last few months. Should be interesting.
  11. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a fairly busy drive on I70 eastbound to Denver yesterday afternoon. People are getting out.
  12. PDublYu

PDublYu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now we are supposed to be in Wales, meeting up with friends from Poland and Australia, and heading to Isle of Man for the TT. Had ferry booked from Heysham to Douglas for June 4, return trip on the 12th after the Senior TT, then on to Groningen, Netherlands. Of course none of that happened, so we've already re-booked everything for next year.
    TreasureState and Klinc207 like this.
  13. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 week ride to MotoGp Phillip island.
    race cancelled. stupid covid.
    Usually about 6 or 7 thousand km ride every year.
    Haven’t missed once since I crashed in 2004.

I’ll be finding somewhere else to ride to.

like a lot of others, I think missing the annual ride, is like not having New Year’s Eve.
    It’s the marker in our lives, another year has passed by.

@boulet_boulet - don’t give up on your ride.
    Do it later on in August if you can, do it solo if you have to.
    Life doesn’t often let the stars line up for an epic adventure. :thumb
  14. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to be doing the TAT from either Nags Head NC or Ripley WV with a group of 8-9 riders all on TW200's, if I did it solo I had a list of at least a dozen possible extra places I wanted to visit along the way and my goal was to do it all on a TW200 in 6 weeks.

There is always next year, in the meantime I will get more miles and more familiar with my relatively new T-dub and do some local trails. Most importantly I am with my fiancee and life is good, so that's what matters most anyways.
  15. crazyal

crazyal God save the triple Supporter

Oddometer:
    5 week trip to Alaska with my oldest brother I’ve been planning for 2 years, right about now we should be on the Cassiar Highway somewhere, I might be a little bitter about this, just say’in. Next year!
  16. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    I spent this winter rebuilding a DR I purchased last spring for the purpose of riding with my wife to her home of South America by 2022. This summer was going to be the shakedown to Newfoundland, the HUBB meeting and translab back. Originally we had planned for late July/Early August.

Don't loose sight on your plans and dreams, this will only make it feel that much better when a reality.
    TreasureState and boulet_boulet like this.
  17. Oldcow

Oldcow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good things happen to good people. Your trip will happen, and maybe with more spontaneity will be better. Make lemonade out of lemons. Let's see what else can I say to cheer you up :) But I stand by good things happen to good people...

Coming from and older (not yet old) fart at the other end of his career, make sure to make time for more free gaps to do the things you love. Time flies, and you don't get it back.

Ok now my time to cry. I built DR2 this winter following a bad crash last summer on DR1. This is going to be my ultimate adv ride, for now. Was planning on the NEBDR, MABDR, Gaspé and the Translab. Currently all borders to the US and other Canadian provinces have restrictions. So, I will plan something in NB and take pleasure in knowing I am still healthy and have another 20 years (hopefully) in front of me for more fun on 2 wheels. Ride safe all.

Oldcow
  18. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, to add to my previous post...

Gettysburg Bike week has now been cancelled.
    https://www.gettysburgbikeweek.com/

Too bad. I don't go every year, but it's a nice event and I had hoped to make it there this year.

Another one bites the dust. :doh
  19. onestroke

onestroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TAT trip planned for 2 years to leave today (my BDAY), postponed until late August...Not cancelled as of yet, but watching things closely. 2 of us planning on primitive camping all the way. I too would have already done at least a couple weekend trips by now, but only day trips so far.
    TreasureState and boulet_boulet like this.
  20. oldspice1972

oldspice1972 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday! Sucks about your trip - sorry.