The Thread of 2020 Cancelled Plans

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by boulet_boulet, May 30, 2020.

1. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I had a 50-state adventure planned for 2020, shipping the bike from Hilo to San Diego and then generally traveling counter clockwise to return to San Diego and Hilo about 4 months or so later.

Still hopeful that it will happen in 2021. But we'll see.

doc
    TreasureState likes this.
  2. DirtySkwerl

DirtySkwerl It's not easy being a rodent, we get no respect Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern California BDR plus other bits in AZ and Nevada BDR. Bikes loaded and on the trailer to drive to Yuma AZ to start. Two days before we were due to leave, California shut down the hotels and restaurants. We would have been traveling through 4 states, decided (very reluctantly) that it was just not going to happen. Plus all the world travel I've wanted to for years, and finally decided to spring for.
    TreasureState and boulet_boulet like this.
  3. sierra_victor

sierra_victor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :( We were to depart Sydney 25th March and pick up our bike from Wheatwacker. Three weeks in Wales then over to France & Spain for five weeks. Return to Ireland for two weeks then drop off our bike in Kinsale and return to Australia 10 June..:(

Maybe we can get to Ireland in September??? :wings Other wise its next year..

Salty..
  4. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trip to England in April, to deal with my deceased MIL's estate.
    Amtrak Sleeper trip to SF area in May, for a class reunion.
    Slimey Crud
    Hiawatha and Great River Road Run rallys
    BMWMOA National in Montana.
    Trip to visit my sister and BIL in Boise (part of above)
    Retirement in May. Since i'm 'essential', and work mainly from home, I might as well stay at home and get paid versus staying at home and not getting paid. I'll likely stay employed till January at least, when we have a major building move I should oversee. Be 67 by then. But, I reason, why not get paid if I can. I'm fortunate, I know.
    Canoe trip down the Yahara, Rock, Illinois and Mississippi rivers from here to St Louis.
    Bicycle camping trips.
    I probably could do the last one in short distances, but for the canoe trip I'd have to be retired.
  5. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a bike at Martin’s too. I thought about Ireland this summer, but nope.

4 rallies cancelled.
  6. london2NY

london2NY n00b

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to be doing the long way round... postponed until next year or so I thought... Received the email a few hours ago telling me the London to Magadan component won't be happening as the company hosting is closing. Gutted

Attached Files:

7. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish this thread had a dislike button.
  8. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saddlesore 1000 scheduled early next month from Ft Myers to Tennessee and I’m still going!!

Had thought about postponing but with vacation in and the bike ready I’m gone. Social distancing no problem only conversations I’ll be having are with fuel pumps.
  9. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    A couple of us had unfinished business with the Top of the World Highway from our last trip up north a couple of years ago, and we planned on getting things done this year.

Just like everyone else, the pandemic kyboshed those plans.

Fortunately, I live in BC and we have had a relatively good response to the challenges of Covid 19 so we will be riding around the southern half of our beautiful province towards the end of the month. Nothing fancy, just get out and away from the "real" world and its problems. We will keep away from others and take our time and enjoy some new views and uncomplicated days.
  10. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Shipping KLR650 to Ireland to start TET cancelled. Well, was leaving end of May and staying to end of June. Now, maybe late July and all of Aug. Prob not happening.
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the pleasure of both riding and driving it. It's a wonderful itinerary and a real shame they couldn't hang on and stay afloat. I'm sure there will be a lot more companies that fail to survive the longer this carries on.
  12. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far, we have cancelled a trip to Cuba, a rafting trip on the Yampa River, and a long motorcycle trip up the west coast and in other western states. Still have a sleeper car train trip scheduled for September, but I'm not counting on that one happening, either.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The RCMP handed out seven $1,200. tickets to Americans in the Banff/Lake Louise area. I gather most were on an extended hike. While the border is technically closed, US citizens not showing symptoms are allowed land passage to Alaska in a general A to B method without deviation and escaping a 14 day quarantine.

Word has caught on that Americans are just saying they're going directly to Alaska but are in fact frolicking in the parks with no such intention. Stoppages are permitted for gas, food, lodging, etc. but certainly not all day hikes at Lake Louise. One of the US vehicle plates was called in by a resident when it was parked for an extended period of time at a trail head. Another was a police pull over when spotted numerous times not heading north.

Be forewarned people.
  14. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    we had a Smokey Mtn. trip scheduled for April and Covid killed that. June we went out to our family cabin in the Texas Hill country for 2 weeks.
    July 9th we are headed to Colorado for 10 days.
    Kinda a crazy year! I like doing about 15+ days every summer somewhere
    Ill be happy when this crap and our country are back in check
  15. Niuka.de

Niuka.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We started in October 2018 in Chile. We shipped our bikes to Chile from Germany. Then we drove up to LA. We got stuck in Los Angeles since more than 3 months.
    The plan was to go to Canada and Alaska. Border to Canada stays closed until mid July. End of Trip. Now we try to find possibilities to ship or fly our bikes back to Germany.

P.S.: If you know someone with a privat jet or cargo plane, please let us know...:D
  16. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ferry out of seattle
  17. MilkMan899

MilkMan899 n00b

Oddometer:
    Saturday July 04 I was supposed to take off from my house in southern Ontario and ride the Trans Lab Highway. My brother lives in Labrador City and I was to meet him and a few buddies there to do this ride. We have been planning and prepping to do this for the last year and a half. With Covid, the atlantic provinces are not letting anyone in. So I did a rough google search today and I think Saturday I will depart from my place in Barrie Ontario and head either west to ride lake Superior, or, north east and do the James Bay road. If anyone is interested in joining for either of these just let me know. planning to camp along the way.
  18. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bars all closed in the state. Missed the Giddyup run this year in New Braunsfels.

I shoulda been irresponsible < chore wise > and dropped my tools and rode to the Ozarks Run in Missouri. The XL Forum members threw a nice meet and greet in the Ozarks in June.
  19. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and two buddies were planning a loop from New York City, Quebec, Trans Lab Hwy, Newfoundland and back down to NYC leaving Aug. 18th. While it's too early to know if we can get into Canada, one of my buds lost a week of the two weeks we needed to do the trip as his company is playing catchup after the Covid shutdown. So we decided to 86 the whole trip and do it later.
  20. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need more bikes

Oddometer:
    I had planned to bicycle from Copenhagen to Zagreb. I scrapped that. I’m looking for dispersed camping advice in the western US.