The Thread of 2020 Cancelled Plans

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by boulet_boulet, May 30, 2020.

1. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Year before last my riding was put on hold due to an odd medical condition that took half the year to diagnose and the other half to recover from. Then early last year I started having severe neck pain and was diagnosed with Stenosis in my C5,6 and 7. 4 months of physical therapy last Spring, the selling of my sport bike and naked bike and being very careful about what I did left me hopeful for a big riding year this year. I didn’t have any specific destination in mind...just finally getting away and spending some time on a bike again. Looks like my time will be spent roaming the Kentucky countryside this year...there are worse places. I plan to retire in the Spring so I’m crossing my fingers.
  2. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Original plan was a 2 week trip around the UP, maybe upper Minnesota, still sorta planning on it, but taking it day by day. Hopefully leave western PA, the monday after the MotaAmerica races at pittsburgh. Just have to see if any of it happens. Been working every weekend getting the girfriends property ready for her brothers wedding, so after next week it may be some overnighters into WV. Got new tires, oil, filter, and some other various bits to do some maintenance. Then it's time to go somewhere, hopefully.
    TreasureState and boulet_boulet like this.
  3. SnowGS

SnowGS It wasn’t me, officer.

Oddometer:
    May trip from Montreal down the Skyline, Blueridge, Dragon etc. to play in the hills for 9 days.
    Nope. Full lockdown.
    September trip to do the Pyrenees from Bordeaux to Barcelona and back (15 days).
    Nope. Rebooking to 2021.
    Miles ridden this year.... well still on the same tank of gas.
  4. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    AT least we can still get out and ride, even when we were in full lockdown, motorcycles were seen as perfect social distant activity. I've been riding, but I miss packing up the bike, heading out, camping, and wondering where the road will take me tomorrow. With the shitshow that is the US right now, who knows what the future holds.
    Maybe we can all get some miles in come fall.
  5. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Earlier in the year there were very low priced flights from LAX to New Delhi. I bought a R/T ticket for 3 weeks spanning late Aug/early Sep, with the intent of getting a connecting flight to Ladakh, renting a RE Himalayan there and goofing off around the lakes, the high plateaus and passes in the area. India's pandemic curve is just now peaking, so I imagine they won't be open for business (the business of tourism) for quite sometime. KLM is issuing a full refund. The jumper flight from DEL to Ladakh is issuing a refund minus exorbitant fees. The Southwest flight from Tucson to LAX will convert to a voucher, which I will certainly use in the next year, for a domestic flight or otherwise.
  6. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had planned an 8 day trip on the Michigan Lower Peninsula Dual Sport SAfari and pretty much canned any adv riding for this year. Only been doing day riding.
  7. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, here we are at the end of August and I only have one real camping trip in the pocket...the Sturgis Rally. I've done some local riding and a day trip, but I'm way behind in my usual travels.
    This was my first year as a retired rider....I had plans.

Plans that didn't happen.
    It was a combination of things, but mostly centered around the Covid restrictions. Most of the campgrounds were closed. A lot of events cancelled. You know the drill.
    Also, I became a grandfather :-), and for that reason alone, my wife and I quarantined ourselves and were very careful during the weeks before the due date so we wouldn't bring any nasties along with us when we went down to visit and help out. (Note to the hand wringing crowd: The Sturgis trip took place after the big event. Family safely comes first. ) At this time, I'm just out of the self-imposed quarantine I placed on myself after my return home.

So, not much travel this year.

There will still be some day trips and some possible weekend camping trips coming up, but not much more than that.
    So it goes.
    Getting through the year happy and healthy will have to be good enough. Counting my blessings.

So....Next year, then. :ricky
  8. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Came back from Baja early this year, thinking we'll stay ahead of the covid-curve.

No VBOM in Montana with Timmer.

Did the Enterprise, OR/Hells Canyon ride in the NE mountains in June.

2 dual sport trips into Gifford Pinchot forest so far.

Lots of time social distancing on the boat this year.

Breaking in a 50-something newbie to local dirt today on my KTM250. That's going to be interesting!
  9. DerekP

DerekP n00b

Oddometer:
    Christmas 2019 we chucked our jobs in and shipped a nicely modified KTM 990 from New Zealand to Australia. The plan was to ride from Brisbane OZ, to London in the UK, including MotoGP in Thailand. We were in Vietnam and the bike was on a ship from Borneo to Kaula Lumpa when Malaysia closed its borders due to Covid. We end up flying home to NZ as we had run out of options. Very bitter and twisted about it all. It was the right decision in the end as we have both gotten jobs with our previous employers since we have been back. And the bike is in the safe hands of a fellow over lander, in Malaysia. Money is being saved and we are looking forward to when we can resume the trip!
  10. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry your trip was postponed hope it all works out soon for you
    boulet_boulet and DerekP like this.
  11. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Broke my leg in September 2019, two days before our usual Euro trip. May 2020, and mid Covid19 and our normal week in Italy was just a dream. And here we are in September 2020, two weeks away from our normal Euro jaunt. France, Belgium and Holland are pretty much off limits, add in a sick dog and our plans have pretty much gone up in smoke....
    Next year though, if we're back to normal(ish) i'm gonna do bits of Europe like a cheap crack whore. Can anyone make me some fake number plates.....:lol3
  12. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Misery loves company, so all of these 2020 cancelled plans posts have been cathartic. Thanks everyone for the updates.
    TreasureState and scottdc like this.
  13. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    It was my 50th at the end of July.
    I was planning to do something memorable, like go to Australia or New Zealand. That went down the shitter.

My Dad turns 80 in a month, beginning of October. I was wanting to fly back to Bulgaria, and have a celebration for him, maybe ride around my XTZ afterwards. I bought a ticket, which 4 days before the flight got cancelled. And 3-6 months to get a refund, really??
    TreasureState and 9w6vx like this.
  14. jackattack13

jackattack13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was supposed to leave this December and ride to Panama from San Diego, CA. Now that the borders are shut down I am waiting for the all clear, and who knows when that will be. Pretty much wrecked a plan I have had in place for years. Gotta love 2020! LOL
    TreasureState likes this.
  15. JohnDTung

JohnDTung n00b

Oddometer:
    I want to go abroad. But after Covid 19. Now it is difficult to go and planning something, or buy something, but I check rabato Weekly Ads to save the money and go abroad then.
  16. Blind Joe Beck

Blind Joe Beck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was planning to either start my long-delayed moto-camping trip from Boston, MA to the Pacific northwest or for my cover band to hit it big and get a two- or three-night per week gig on Cape Cod. Either would have been good with me, but alas. . .

I'm still hoping I can grab a week-long trip to northern New England in the next few weeks.

-- BJ Beck
  17. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Literally on the day after the borders were opened I got on my bike and rode across Greece, Italy (Apenines, Tuscany), Corsica, France (Alpes Maritimes), Switzerland, Italy (Dolomites), Slovenia and then back home. Took me almost three weeks and was one of the best trips I ever had. Overthinking and planning way ahead only makes you miss opportunities and this was probably once in a lifetime chance to ride the Alps in summer without the crowds ... and be the only non-truck driver on the Igoumenitsa-Brindizi ferry :-)). Also, once people started moving around, crossing the borders got tricky again.
  18. JustNick

JustNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just had two weeks off, and was planning since I got my first bike last Nov, to go on a little adventure, probably up to B.C. Canada. Welp, we can't cross the border still, and with wildfires and corona there wasn't much for me to do. I was still going to try going SOMEWHERE, even if it ended up just being alone time camping, but with the fires came days of wind storms, and I just know it would've not been fun for me.

I'll get something together for next year! Maybe stay away from wildfire season!
  19. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured a year or two ago that this would be my last year riding due to some medical issues and aging. I planned a nice 2-3 week trip down South in the Spring and 5-6 week trip out West for the last hurrah. I would be out there right now. I bought and set up a bike just for these trips in my last riding summer. I got my first bike in Oct 67 and I did my first cross country trip in the Fall of 80 when I was 29. I think that I was correct and next year I won't be able to do it and enjoy it. So, bike leaves in two days and I pick up my first car in several years.

I am planning on the last big trip in a car next year. All two lane like planned but it will probably be kind of depressing for a while and not close to the fun of the bike. I'll get over it. Got to. I have been very lucky and have nothing to complain about in life but being a little whinny for just a few minutes is ok in my book. Feel better already. If you ain't moving forward, you ain't living.

edit: 11/19 . I decided all may not be lost. I am selling HD parts but keeping all my riding gear--don't get nothing for it anyway--and looking for a DCT/CVT either 700 Honda or a maxi scooter assuming the sudden heart arrythmia problem that started a couple of days ago works out. Wearing the portable telemetry now, pain. I never imagined how difficult it would be for me not to be able to get out for a few hundred miles at least once a week, etc. Had car since Aug. and it just rolled 1k miles. Hate to even look at it. Of course being a Kia Rio may be a part of that, lol.
  20. KenR

KenR Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @racer187x and I were scheduled to do a lap of Morocco in late March. We pulled the plug a couple of weeks prior to departure just before (we didn't know it at the time) the COVID lockdowns ended up kicking in. We ended up losing a few hundred bucks in deposits but the major expense (airfare) was refunded. We still hope to do the trip someday but have decided to stay in the US and do a BDR for the time being.

A buddy is in Baja right now. I bailed on that ride because the the border was reported to be closed to non-essential travel. Turns out he rode across with no issues whatsoever.