The Thread of 2020 Cancelled Plans

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by boulet_boulet, May 30, 2020.

1. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    To be fair, we did sign up for the GEICO Adventure Rally slated for next month...then it was cancelled the very next day :lol3

I still have spare levers for the Teneré 660s that we hired for Morocco. Since we didn’t get that bike in the States they’re pretty useless. When this gets a little farther down the road we’ll get out there to explore.

At least we got a little riding in this year:

8BD44FA3-E1BB-49CE-BB0A-B4B4FC7A2878.jpeg DEE0B99F-B353-4E9D-A116-8435639D4B75.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is anyone here confident in being able to execute their domestic and international travel plans by next Spring or Summer?

For the Americans amongst us, would it be prudent to limit our planning for next year to the 48 contiguous states (CONUS)?

Are your plans cancelled or postponed?
    TreasureState, KenR and Davidprej like this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who knows what the Covid situation would be, but it seems like one big factor would be whether you're shipping your bike. If the covid 19 wave # 15 breaks out when you are on the far side of the moon, it's easier to just fly yourself home vs. you and your bike. So, fly, rent and ride?

Personally, my tentative international plans are remaining tentative. I'm definitely planning domestic (U.S.) travel next year.
    TreasureState and Glenn247 like this.
  4. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I’ll probably wait until March or April before I decide on my cross-country USA trip that was postponed from this year. I need to ship my bike from Hawai’i to the mainland by May. Right now, I’m working on contingencies for 2022. Hoping for the best, planning for the worst.

doc
    TreasureState, Glenn247 and Davidprej like this.
  5. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    2020 was to be the year of my retirement ride, three months and 14,000 miles around the US with my dog, Glenlivet, at my side.

GillyGMR2.jpg

We cancelled those plans as regional travel restrictions kicked in out of fear of both spreading the disease and of being trapped far from home. We're hoping to set out in April 2021 but given my background (retired epidemiologist) it's not looking good. I just don't think we as a nation have the discipline to adhere to the public health measures needed to control this in short order.
  6. KenR

KenR Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm putting overseas travel plans in the 'postponed' category for now. There's a lot of great stuff to ride in the US in the meantime, just hope I don't age out before this gets behind us.
  7. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had planned Austin Moto GP followed by a month in Ireland. It sucks but we are safe at this time. Who knows what tomorrow may bring. Currently in the process of liquidating the household, house and other goodies so when there is a vaccine and we can travel again we are out of here for an unknown extended time or maybe forever.
    TreasureState, 9w6vx and KenR like this.
  8. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My daughter and I had a Route 66/Lincoln Highway ride planned for this past spring. We had hoped that the worst would pass by then. Unfortunately, as the time drew closer and the NP's were closed, we decided to hold off. I've now got a bit longer trip with more NP's in it planned for next June. Fingers crossed that it can be done.
    TreasureState and Boondox like this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise SUPER DUKE

Oddometer:
    Domestic travel is still on, and has been. You can even ride to AK - it's legal via the Alcan/Cassiar. International - yeah, no. I think we've lost 2021 as well.

My (2nd) AK trip isn't til 2022 so I'm confident I won't lose that. But planning lower 48 trips aren't exactly a bad thing. We're lucky to live in such a beautiful country. Once covid is gone I'm taking 6mo+ to tour South America tho :D
    TreasureState and glitch_oz like this.
  10. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Tracking domestic travel is a free-for-all still, at least for now...

Was not tracking a one-shot zip to Alaska was possible for the average joy-rider; are you sure about that?

What makes you say 2021 is a lost cause for international travel?
    TreasureState likes this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise SUPER DUKE

Oddometer:
    Eh, I think it will be a while before all the borders are open. I think I'm just mentally preparing for it not to happen.

You're right, border is open but you can go but only if your trip is 'essential.' Call it what you will.
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the current CV19 numbers internationally and regionally (and which countries are off-the-scales and spiralling totally out of control), it doesn't take much imagination nor common sense.
  13. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    So do we need to plan for 2022 for rolling over the US-CANADIAN border with relative ease?

I've heard the US-MEXICAN border can be traversed despite it being officially closed...learned this in other threads here.

The future of travel may require proof of vaccination.

Ticketmaster is developing a system for folks to prove they're vaccinated to go to concerts and events...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...irus-tests-vaccinations-billboard/6265349002/

I can imagine this being necessary to cross borders, board planes, stay at hotels, etc.

The vaccinations and system to prove you have them may take until 2022, gotta agree with ya...
  14. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Good stuff!! Hadn't heard about that one yet, but it makes perfect sense to expand that idea to "everything daily life".
    :thumb
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ticketmaster has a plan to suck your wallet IMO. Seriously their prices for a ticket are absurd.
    Back to non-trips, we will not be in FL this winter nor AZ watching spring training baseball nor am I recenlty returned from a Balkans fly and ride as I had planned. My wife and I had also planned a Spain/Morocco trip which went bye bye.
    We remain healthy but our Golden Years are sucky travel wise for now! BTW, we also our grandkids on skype not real live visits.
  16. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I'm retired and normally take two trips a year to the Smokey's. Cancelled. I had 14 of our geezer group lined up for Americade 12 were staying in the same motel right across the street from the main event. It would have been the best Americade ever. Cancelled.

I then planned to attend the "Beat the Heat" scooter rally in Maggie Valley. Because of age and other things I bailed out. The rally went on and no one got sick. Bummer.

Four of us planned on the Three Wheel Rally in Deadwood, or if not, a Natchez Trace trip in September when thing calmed down. Neither happened.

At my age (71) loosing a year of riding really hurts. Not too much touring time left.

The geezer boys are still planning to make next year, make up for the one that we lost. But,,, "Man plans, God laughs"
  17. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly!
    Even though having a few years on you, time is irretrievable and trips of a certain kind are numbered (talking the TAT-style of stuff, or longer ADV-travel on bigger bikes).
  18. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    It is not like riding the lower 48 is some sort of boobie prize.

Plenty of riding here in Montana. If you are tasted up for dirt? - we have you covered. Paved roads only? - can do!

Reach out if you need some planning assistance. I am not THE most knowledgeable, but I can certainly help out if someone was looking to get a domestic only travel itch scratched.

TS
    Glenn247 likes this.
  19. Samur

Samur The world spins as fast as you ride it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-11-20_10-38-34.jpeg
  20. Samur

Samur The world spins as fast as you ride it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s me above on my way to Panama to take the Stahlratte to Columbia in February 2020. Well my bike still is in Costa Rica but hopefully I’ll be reunited with it next week if all goes as planned. It’s at the warehouse at Lan Chile in San Jose and will be airfreighted to Miami soon. Not cheap getting it shipped in absentee but 10 months and counting was just too much.
    Glenn247 likes this.