*The* Thumper Forum Bedliner thread (mergefest)...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bob, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DaBuzzzzz

DaBuzzzzz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch guys, Plastikote and Duplicolor seem to be the two that makes this stuff....

Fact is that it is NOT available in the Netherlands :(

Duplicolor is a european trade mark of another brand, so they are not active in the EU and Plastikote doesnt have distributors for the automotive product line....havent been succesfull with finding a european brand that does this (not a lot of pick-ups on the roads here I guess)

Any thoughts are welcome

Cheers!
  2. Dirty Bling

Dirty Bling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could I see more pics. ??? I'm looking at the same type of ammo boxes, 18" x 8" x 14" on eBay for $50.00 for 2 and the bed liner I've used before on trucks it works great...
  3. DaBuzzzzz

DaBuzzzzz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    None of you guys willing to buy and send me 2 cans via US Postal?? Can pay with Paypal,

Plasti-kote prefferable

Cheers
  4. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    I bead blasted my plastic pieces before I sprayed they with bed-liner and it has proven to be very durable, and as some have mentioned easy to repair. On my KLX650R I did the radiator scoops, side panels and Acerbis headlight in black and left the tank and fenders Kawasaki green. For a dual sport or dirt bike I would highly recommend it. The spray seems to work well but I would like to try the roll on as I think it would go on a little thicker especially on the edges.
  5. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    Locally they can be had for $9.99 each, I just bought two. Check Army Surpluss stores and Hunting supply stores in your area.
  6. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had a klr... thinking of spraying my new XRL tank with it....
  7. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Sorry, no can do...

aerosol + USPS = :mulie

The same is probably true of the gallon buckets, but I can't find their MSDS
  8. DaBuzzzzz

DaBuzzzzz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmzzz, probably so, where's free trade when ya need it?

Thanks!
  9. Happyjack

Happyjack 300 pound gorilla

Oddometer:
    +1 for Line-X
    excellent finish, tough as nails

"The only thing that should be red is the blood of my enemies."

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]
  10. JAFO

JAFO displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer:
    Durabak will work VERY well for your truck. I have painted whole Jeeps with it before.

They also have a product without the granules in it. FYI ;)
  11. JAFO

Oddometer:
    I will, if you pay postage as well.

EDIT: note it has to go by ground-- which means it's gonna take a lllloooooong time to get there, and it's going to be pricey.

I would suggest you look into local providers of concrete marking paint and traction paints that are often used on loading docks and the like. This is, after all, what Durabak and bedliners were originally made for. Check a boatbuilder.
  12. JAFO

Oddometer:
    Each their own and all.. but.. why? It was a beautiful bike in red...

13. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    Because I don't like red.
  14. BrushApe

BrushApe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happyjack,
    I like the look of the bike. Not a fan of red either. I have a 99 in silver and would like to add some lighting. What kind of lights do you have under the fairing? Please PM me.

Anyone have problems with the bedliner adhering to plastic? I have some Pelicans I the jury is out how well it works. The first coat looks ok but seems to scratch pretty easy. I am hoping the additonal coats will form a tougher shell.
    Tom
  15. JAFO

Oddometer:
    Well I guess so. But why the granular version? Why not smooth durabak?

Goin' for the Mad Max look, eh? :)

16. JAFO

Oddometer:
    ok, here's the deal about that-

while I haven't used it on a bike, I've made extensive use of this sort of stuff on bumpers, etc, I build for jeeps-- which regularly get scraped across rocks at Telico, Uwharrie, etc.

The stuff in the spraycan... sucks. What you want for a lasting, durable finish is something that has to be sprayed with a spray rig, or brushed/rolled on. IE: Durabak preferably, with Herculiner a very close second.

I haven't used the other products out there like Tuflex or (crap, name escapes me at the moment-- it's professionally applied with special equipment).

Durabak works, and works damn well. No need to look any farther, IMHO.

17. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    People commenting on things, when they haven't actually done it. Excellent!:asshat

I have used them on a bike.

Here's my experience:

1) Herculiner comes in a tub can and is roll on. You can find it at Walmart, etc. While it rolls on thick, it dries glossy. Very plastciky. The granual texture is not as tight or concentrated as other bedliner drands. It will adhere to bare aluminum, like I used in my Pork Chop Skidplate DIY job. The surfaces need to be sanded rough and cleaned of grease. The finish looks like junk, really sloppy. Spraying the Herculiner with flat black paint made it look much better. $30 can.

+1
    2) I used the Dupli-color Spray can bedliner, also available from Walmart, AutoZone, eyc. I tried it on abs plastic from an atv. Did not stick too well on untreated plastic, but if plastic is sanded rough and cleaned with acetone. No problems. I used it on aux metal fuel cans for bike. Excellent finish, super adhesion to painted metal. Again sanded and cleaned. The coating is thin, semi-gloss, and has a nice texture. I have used this on bare and painted metal and it adheres fine. The finish is really very nice and even. Not a alot of texture, but enough to look "different." $7 a can

+2
    3) Line-x is tough stuff. Bedliner thickness is about 3/16-1/4". It was sprayed lighter for the bike. Again all body parts sanded with 60-80 grit and cleaned with acetone. Adhesion excellent and really tough, beautiful up close finish. Line-x will fade to more flat black over time, due to UV, but can be spruced up with armor all. But then cannot be retreated becuase Line-x will not adhere. An alternative solution would be to clear coat line-x which gives it some UV resistance and will keep the semi-gloss/satin finish. Cleared Line-x looks great. The cost of an entire f650, you doing sanding and prep, is $150-200. For an extra $250 a hookup you can get Line-x in any custom color, as long as your shop has the new color equipment. BTW:Line-x can be airbrushed and cleared for graphics.

For a small job, the Duplicolor is the good stuff.
  18. JAFO

Oddometer:
    well if you want to be an asshole about it-- my use on the jeep is MUCH more of a trial than anything you'll put your bike to.

I have more experience with the material at question than you have- and that I guarantee. The material's qualities was at question, not the surface to which it is applied.
  19. Happyjack

Oddometer:
    Right, sorry, you're the Jeep Master. Welcome to the Adventure Rider forum, Jeep Master! We ride motorcycles. Post a pic of your bike with bedliner.:evil
  20. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer: