The tipping point is right around the corner.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MJSfoto1956, Dec 26, 2018.

1. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    You can't swing a cat out here without hitting a Tesla or some other ev, they are everywhere and seem to be multiplying.

Bait and switch is about dead? New car dealers are much better these days?

Please come and tell the bloodsuckers at the dealerships out here in WA State. Every sleazy tactic you can think of and some you never thought of are in full force. Bought a bunch of new vehicles over the years out here including my '17 F150, worst car buying experience of my life so far and I've had some really bad experiences.

For my next car purchase I'm seriously considering hiring a purchasing agent or going with some type of service because I just can not deal with blatant liars and thieves. And I consider myself a fairly easy customer. I'm honest, I usually trade in and pay the rest with cash, I don't play any games. It's still been a nightmare.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Or, just preorder Tesla Cybertruck now, it will be ready by the time you need it :)
  3. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    No thanks. Not interested in Gee Whiz look at me possesions. Plus I'd like to use it as a pickup and I don't see the Tesla being all that useful for normal pickup duties.

When the e-F150 and the Rivian hits the market I will check them out but probably won't be able to afford one as much as I'd like one.

And I'm considering trading in my '17 F150 for another F150 but I just cannot bring myself to deal with the buying ordeal again. Not sure how I'm going to deal with it, may give the local dealerships one more try and see if I can get through it without losing all faith in humanity. Those people are just so sleazy, I don't know how they live with themselves.
  4. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's another wrinkle to this that isn't universal, but certainly frequent-to-common. Go into a dealer that sells mostly ICEVs like Nissan, BMW or Chevy and ask to see a Leaf/i3/Bolt. The salesman will immediately try to steer you toward something more 'sensible' and often start up a schpiel on all the 'problems' with EVs. I had to take my Mitsubishi i-MiEV in for a non-EV-related recall and got corralled by the manager who started a psychotic stream of bat-shit crazy talk about how they're terrible vehicles and the batteries are a huge risk. (Even veering into a wild conspiracy theory about how the International Space Station stockpiles batteries because the lithiums that power it keep failing, a story so distant from the truth you can't even see it from there.) And I already owned the car!!! Mind you this is a car on which Mitsubishi voluntarily extended the battery warranty from 8 years / 80,000 miles to 10/100,000. Not because they had to, but because their testing proved they could without added risk.

I think it was Consumer Reports who sent out secret shoppers who confirmed that many salesmen would direct them to another vehicle, were uninformed about EVs and quite obviously reluctant to sell them.

There's something in the mentality of many car salesmen that makes their heads go all explody about EVs. I suspect (hope) that's changing, but it's still very easy to find descriptions of EV buying experiences every bit as surreal as mine. It's a wonder there are as many EVs on the road as there are.
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  5. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    In which way? Seems like for $40K it is better at pretty much anything any pickup does.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  6. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Doesn't Roll Coal worth a damn. :D
    Traxx and liberpolly like this.
  7. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I am sure there will be an aftermarket gizmo :)
  8. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Since it’s not for sale yet I would say it’s not better then any current production pickup. Let’s see what it’s like when it comes out and how much it actually costs.

But just for laughs here’s some info to consider:

For anyone that wants to actually use it as a pickup, it will be pain in the ass.

Slanted bed sides on a pickup are useless (see the Honda Ridgeline redesign). The back seat headroom makes them useless except for small children. Bodywork repairs will be an expensive hassle.

My nicely optioned ‘17 F150 Super Cab 4x4 was $30k out the door. 36 gallon fuel tank, 20 mpg highway all day long, 700+ miles range on the highway. 290 or so hp. almost 400 ft lbs torque. Fits 4 adults comfortably, 5 if you’re feeling friendly. It is a very quick truck. Aluminum body, will never rust, can be repaired anywhere, does not require body design comprises like the stainless Tesla used - which can rust btw.

I’d say that trumps the Tesla in almost every way.

When it retails for $40k let me know (see the Tesla Model 3).

Having said all that I hope Tesla is successful with their “pickup truck”.
    norther and Traxx like this.
  9. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Where do you see "Slanted bed sides"?

[​IMG]

A 6'4" media guy was in the back seat with what he said was more than enough room, with 2 others in the backseat with him. Bodywork repairs won't be necessary - with the cold steel strength, it won't dent unless the impact is so big that any other truck would be squashed into a pancake. It will rust much after your aluminum corrodes. There are no body design compromises. You are just being stubborn :)
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  10. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Lol.

You can’t see that the bed sides are slanted from the rear of the cab to the ends of the bed? Ever tried to load something into a bed with that design? Ever see the original Honda Ridgeline bed design? They redesigned it to make it like every other pickup out there because slanted bed sides don’t work as good as ones that are straight/level. Ask anyone who has actually owned and used a pickup as a pickup.

Cant see the slanted bed sides? Really? Who’s being stubborn now?

Enjoy your gee whiz look at me “truck” when it comes out. I hope it is all and more that you ever wanted in a truck.
    norther and Traxx like this.
  11. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    No, I think it's perspective, not slanted bed sides. I am not a farmer, so I will use it mostly to haul around art, a dirt bike, and sometimes lumber from home depot, so we'll see.
  12. Bama67

Bama67 Cooler in real life

Oddometer:
    Man the Tesla fanbois are even worse than KTM fanbois
    Traxx likes this.
  13. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    You're killing me here man. I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this bs, but here you go. SLANTED. There are no two ways about it. Or you could google Honda Ridgeline yourself as I've mentioned numerous time as another example of a failed pickup truck bed design.

Jeez.

Have fun securing the load, whatever that may be when you put something back there, you'll need to climb ALL the way into the bed just to hook up a simple bungie cord or tie down strap instead of just reaching over the side like every other pickup truck in the world. And climb all the way into to undo it. Idiotic. Again, the reason Honda redesigned the Ridgeline.

Have you ever owned a pickup truck, or used one to carry something around? In the bed of it?

[​IMG]
    norther, Traxx and mitchxout like this.
  14. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Not a Tesla fanboy by any means, but this thing is awesome on its own accord. Better supercar than Lamborgini, better pickup than any pickup, better SUV than any SUV, runs on cheap electricity, has 500 miles range, needs no oil, filters, shocks, or pretty much anything other than tires, indestructible shell, air suspension, etc. etc.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  15. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  16. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    :fpalm So his liking that makes him a fanboi?:fpalm
  17. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traxx and mitchxout like this.
  18. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Ok now I see what this dolt meant. Given that 99% of pickups I see on the road drive 99% of the time with an empty bed, I'll trade low bed edges for better aerodynamics and sliding lid.
  19. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing that won't be met is the price. The rest is coming along. There are 5 pickups slated for market by 2021. 2 of them claiming a 500mile range option. The infrastructure is growing everyday and will be as common as a gas/diesel pump in 5 years.
    I am waiting on the 1 ton chassis version of the Atlas or Rivan maybe Ford if they release a long range superduty electruck. The Tesla and Bollinger are a no go for me. To much poser and not enough utility.
  20. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Fair question. Though a ton of people do just that. Drive a pickup all the freaking time for commuting or getting groceries.