The tipping point is right around the corner.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MJSfoto1956, Dec 26, 2018.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    I must add that 30% efficiency is the best case scenario of slow yet uninterrupted driving on open roads. In a city, where most people drive most of the time, it is probably halved.
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nuclear is a dirty word and in the current climate you will never EVER get plants built......EVAR.

Hydro works if you have the stuff around to make it work....water, but again when was the last plant built.....and in our current climate that is not going to happen even if you do have a perfect location for one. Solar, wind, tide....all too expensive to make, and to take care of.

Building any type of electric plant is an uphill battle starting at the first idea to build one......in the US....and this is all based on people in the US as that is where I am....are going to pitch an unholy fit at the first sound of lets make a power plant.

The only thing we can do that will fly under the radar of the idiots is to upgrade existing plants.....and sorry sports fans those are all coal powered for the most part. And unless you can crank up the electrical backbone of this....or any nation....electric cars are a DEAD END.

Bio fuels (issues there as well) as I have likely been one of the few people that has used bio diesel....and hydrogen....those are where we should be looking....not this stupid electric crap....it failed before for the same reasons it will fail again....and it would have failed if not for guberment sticking its nose in there. On the fence
    All I will say is enjoy your coal powered car.....it is PROVEN AND DOCUMENTED.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  3. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    We shall see.

Solar panels require next to zero maintenance and prices are falling rapidly. Agree on wind and tidal, but that's beside the point.
  4. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cleaning....read a bit
  5. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what I call "next to zero maintenance".
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then you have never done it
  7. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Helped the neighbor. Hose, an hour once a year.
    SocalRob likes this.
  8. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you talking about?https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=CA

I live in a state with under 0.2% of electricity generated by coal. Not all of us live in a state run by climate change deniers.
    PoundSand and Woody2627 like this.
  9. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The numbers you quote are either outdated and/or wrong, especially for late model engines, such as for high compression gasoline engines with direct injection, more so for diesel engines.

Efficiency of ICEs varies greatly by type and RPM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiency

Not defending ICE engines, EVs are still more efficient, and certainly less polluting (regardless of where their energy comes from) - but they have other problems. I hope they overcome those problems (range, energy density of the battery, battery problems when cold, etc.) because I like much about EVs, but lets keep the facts and numbers straight.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    My daughter lives 300 miles away. I am 64. The time when I can not drive to visit will happen. It would be so nice to just get in a car, recline the seat, and take a nice nap. Wake up in the driveway.

Sadly I have little doubt this will become a price gouging service, with collusion and little competition, and I will not be able to afford to go visit. Look at all the "competition" in medicine and pharmaceuticals.

Rod
    CodeMonkee likes this.
  12. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    There is talk over here of having speed cameras built into every sign, traffic light and tree within 500 miles of a road. Once that happens, I want an autonomous car, there will be absolutely no fun in driving so someone else may as well do it for you.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  13. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once a year....once every two weeks.

Here in missouri they had a tax deal on solar panels....last year...perhaps the year before....don't remember. Anyhoo they went up everywhere, I even looked into it for a short time. Most people got pretty small setups, 40'x60.....40x80....I know one guy a little bit away got a pretty big setup....has to be twice that big.....at least. Never did ask the costs that is not neighborly....I just took a quick look at the deal and decided with the trees I have, and the layout of my land it really was something I did not want to have to work around. Some people put gravel under the array as to not have to crawl under it to take care of weeds as bad, others just plopped it on the ground.....now that I am thinking of it, had to be at least two years ago....at least, time flies.

They are out there cleaning the thing once every couple weeks, they say they can really see things fall off if it even gets a light coating of dust on it.....and they need to do it early in the morning as it gets pretty darn hot in the summer. In the winter you need to clear snow and ice, and one guy has had issues with the panels cracking....not sure if it was an install error, but he is busting panels about once a year....again I did not ask costs on that.

Of the 4 guys around me that did this only one was out this past weekend cleaning the snow we just got off his setup....I will need to talk to the others and see what the deal is.

But bottom line, it is pretty fucking far from hosing it off, you need to get out there and rub the dust, dirt and bird shit off of it....hosing it off works about as well as hosing your car off after a bird craps all over it and we all know that shit does not just wash away.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did they turn your power back on yet? :photog
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t know about other cities but there are 5 or 6 companies testing and driving self driving cars on the roads here. I can not drive very far without seeing one. I did some work for one of the companies and their main goal is to make the self driving cars look normal. They fabricated roof line extensions that add 4” of height to the vehicles and hide most of the electronics in there. If you did not know what to look for, you would never know it was self driving.

That semi truck just drove across the country by its self and there is a Texas company that has been using self driving semi trucks for a couple years now. We will have fully self driving vehicles very soon.

This photo is one of the stealth self driving cars. It looks like they did not have to add anything to the roof of this one.

CB06D799-44FA-4EE1-9B7E-7DA084EDECA4.jpeg
  16. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big state. My power never went off.
  18. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    300 mile taxi trip for 300. Sign me up. Taxi in most places at least $2.50 mile that is 750
  20. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No one is "denying" "change" -- climate is always changing, and has been hotter, and much colder, and CO2 levels have been much, much higher.

CO2 trails climate change rather than leads, and is almost irrelevant as a greenhouse gas compared to water vapor. Human-produced CO2 is completely irrelevant as a greenhouse gas - a very small percentage of a very small percentage.

CO2 is highly relevant to plant life and all carbon-based life on this planet however. In warmer periods, which caused an increase in atmospheric CO2, plant life was booming, and the Earth was temperate and excellent. If only we could go back to those days, but this is not to be.

What needs to be denied, is the hideous propaganda campaign, sound bites pertaining to which are regurgitated by the unwashed masses prancing around Portland -- morons with transgender studies degrees, terminally clueless, incapable of even the basic scientific thought, much less knowing anything about system dynamics, predictability, chaos theory. Just cattle re-bleating bullshit, pardon my mixed metaphors.

Are you old enough to remember when all the talking heads, after spewing "global warming!!" for 20 years, literally overnight had their script changed to spew "climate change!!" ? The propaganda channels are all owned by a few, globalist hands. And when all the IPCC hockey stick bullshit models were wrong -- there has been no warming for years while CO2 level has been rising -- they had to retool the bullshit, because even the most dimwitted of sheep might have begun to take notice.

Here's a recent example of robotic propagandists in action:

Greenpeace co-founder, taking us back to a time before (like all well-intentioned movements) Greenpeace was twisted and co-opted to serve the sociopathic globalist elites. A profound presentation:

This says it all:

46789F68-F6DD-47BB-935B-EF5AFEEFEF95.jpeg

PNG image.png