The tipping point is right around the corner.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MJSfoto1956, Dec 26, 2018.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    think about where we were 50 years ago in tech. and 50 years before that. you really think it's going to take 50 more years for the relatively tiny incremental improvement in electrical charging and storage as described above?

and i don't know why infrastructure keeps getting brought up - you probably don't need as many as you do with gas, as many electric vehicle owners primarily charge at home, and it's much easier to add electrical charging than gas fueling; there are apparently ~110k gas stations in the u.s. (down from over 200k in the 90s- anyone notice?). there are apparently close to 20k electric charging locations already. (i just looked those numbers up, don't know how good they are, but mind is blown at how close they apparently are already).

nope. it already works better in some ways - like being able to charge at home and not bothering with having to stop at a gas station.
    RedRocket likes this.
  4. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    i lived in the desert in cali. plenty of solar around, and plenty of dust. ain't nobody cleaning them every two weeks.
    Gillus and liberpolly like this.
  5. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it is the difference between desert and places where there is green. Looks like the solar plant between Reno and LV is now officially DEAD.....at the cost to the tax payers of about 800 million. And we are told it is the cost of moving forward....or lining pockets of "green" execs like solyndra.

Just shut up and accept that those in power know what is best and swallow the talking points....don't look close or else you be labeled and belittled
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  6. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, crescent dunes couldn't compete with (wait for it) solar panels. ;)

But yes, it also couldn't compete with technologies like oil and coal, which obviously never had any public costs or had any failures. :loco
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    This plant was a boondoggle from the beginning, and did not use photovoltaics - it used some stupid idea of concentrating solar light with mirrors to melt salts for some dumb reason. Definitely a corruption scam with and by connected politicians in the federal administration. Do not judge the real technology by this fiasco.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hydrogen is the way forward. Amazon will lead the way with fleets of purpose built H2 delivery vehicles, H2 material handling equipment and H2 power for aviation. It's happening faster then one might expect.
    FPGT72 likes this.
  9. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do agree with this.....and I wait for people saying hindenburg (on a side note my grandmother said she could see the fire from where she was at the time).

The only down side to hydrogen is the costs to make it.....busting up carbon atoms, or busting down water are the two most "easy" ways but both require TONS of power to do it.

I can see places where there is tons of geo-thermal becoming the next big places where energy is made.....not in my lifetime however.
  10. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was, and like solyndra a blind man could see it a mile away....but yet they still got millions and millions of OUR money.
  11. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps shit like sap from trees, hundreds of birds flying around after eating red berries from said trees and shitting all over.....wait for it....solar panels has something to do with the cleaning procedure.

Ya think.....no I doubt you do.
  12. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were previously talking about a light coating of dust. And crescent dunes. But uh, ok then, whatever argument you need man.
  13. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 3 different methods to commercially produce hydrogen fuel. One is the least expensive -- especially when volume of scale factors in. There are already around 23 H2 refueling stations in the Los Angeles area, with more planned. Now that Amazon and Ford Motors and a couple of others have invested a combines $1.3 billion into a startup hydrogen truck builder, the industry is taking notice - bigly.
  14. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    These massive solar farms are not good for the ecco system. They kill and displace wildlife and eventually, the waste they will generate, will add to the growing global problem of disposing of non-biodegradable materials. Before we know it, there will be hundreds of millions of solar panels in the US alone. At some point, a certain percentage of them will break, age and require replacement. Where are all the decommissioned solar panels going to go? The same place we used to rely on to process our waste plastics?
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  15. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    Yeah, cause ‘legacy’ costs are something we care about....

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060971387
    PoundSand likes this.
  16. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I highly doubt it. Hydrogen motors still have very low efficiency compared to electric battery/motor combo.
  17. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Of course. Why does it reflect poorly on market-driven solar energy though?
  18. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    We're perfectly capable of covering our energy needs via rooftop solar panels. They have decades of life in them due to no moving parts, and consist basically of silicone, glass (also silicone) - i.e. ingredients of sand - and aluminum framing. All imminently recyclable.
  19. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    AF24ADAF-415C-4312-AB13-319C63805C3E.jpeg