The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    My wr toolkit
    On big rides i add a front tube and two Ballards tyre levers and a lightweight axle spaner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No fancy kits here
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like you Sprouty I have had great luck with most of my Motion Pro purchases. T6 tire spoon, fork cap tools etc. However the Motion Pro Metric all in one tool pictured below failed;

[​IMG]

The 1/4" driver that inserts into the handle is comprised of three separate pieces that during manufacturing are glued and pressed together. I used mine in the garage for a couple weeks to make sure it worled reliably and accessed everything I needed. It was reliable during the two weeks. First trail ride with it and had a leaking water pump. Went to synch up the bolts on the cover and the driver pieces separated which kept the driver from being able to tighten the bolt.

Here's a quick Video demonstrating the failure:

I ended up getting the 3 pieces that comprise the driver portion of the tool welded together and ground down.

[​IMG]

This fixed the tool and it worked fine for a couple years after that. I talked with Motion Pro and found out that this is a problem that has happened faar too often on this tool sadly. So if you rely on this tool I would recommend welding it as I did above to keep the tool reliable and keep it from failing in the field.
    jackbyo likes this.
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that looks like a marginal design. Unfortunate that they had issue and it didn't get resolved.
  4. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for your answers but can you please tell me the part number because i cant actually fully read it on the photo. I got the MP multi tool but never really used it. Now i am reading about all the failures. Think i will keep it out of bike tool kit for sure.
  5. team ftb

Oddometer:

Haha i was hoping you could see the numbers as my failing eyes could not ID it correctly.

Good thing about having a younger girlfriend is aside from their ass still being perky the eyes continue to perform. According to her the model number is GTV830. Though even she had difficulty, so not 100 percent it's correct. However let's hope that works for you.

Regarding the Motion Pro tool it works fine once you get the driver TIG welded. I used it for a long time and just outfitted it with the sockets I needed and a few optional Hex key bits Motion Pro offers. Here in my palm using it to remove a side case on the ole KTM when I drowned it in the river and the drain bolt was stripped.

[​IMG]

Simple and reliable once welded. However since doing my own kit as shown above I am much happier on the trail and in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
  6. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Excuse me the correct part number on the Snap-on above is GTM 830

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
  7. resqdoc

resqdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :drink
    Very interesting engineering. They have a similar bit driver.

They include a bottle opener! :drink
  8. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I drove the section of road in the jeep with my wife riding shotgun to look for it...never saw it. Someone probably found it, but without my info inside, I'm not hopeful in getting it back. Aside from the $200 saddlebag, I lost my air compressor, hand tool kit, leatherman, battery jump starter, and the only name brand 'North Face' hoodie I've ever owned....gift from my dad.

Just ordered a stack of 'business cards' printed on plastic to put in all my gear. I figure for the $30, it'll be something I can toss inside every bag I pack and it will have name, number, email. Also, when i run into someone and get a pic or they take a pic, I can give them a card to contact me later.

No affiliation and cant comment on quality yet, due to arrive in a week or so...but this is where I ordered from:
    http://www.morningprint.com/product2/card.php?acode=75

JimVonBaden, jonnyc21 and portabill like this.
  9. resqdoc

resqdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the rounded corners.

I don't know about you guys but normally I have a number of fund raiser type address labels sent by Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation, American Legion, NRA or what not. They make fine identifiers for individual hard sided items like cameras, suit cases, etc.

On Oct 14, 2016 10:44 AM, "Adventure Rider"
    Lutz likes this.
  10. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Holee crap, what a great idea...I have shit tons of those labels lying around :clap
  11. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nail polish bottles work best and are practically industructable. They come in all sizes and even have a brush inside. Find the size you like, clean it out with Acetone, and fill it with glue. Steal some from your wife or girlfriend. I like to use the small square bottles.
    I carry 2 bottles 1 with the patch glue and the other one with some rubber solvent to clean the patch area on the tire or tube. Naptha is a rubber solvent and
    it can be purchased almost everywhere in a cleverly disguised can called Coleman fuel.
    I use 2 inch radial tire patches for tube and tire repairs because they are strong and can cover a large hole or multiple holes.
  12. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    I lost the tool bag off the back of my bike this last April. I confirmed that it was picked up when I went back to look for it when talking with someone on the side of the trail. Had my name, address, registration and my insurance info etc. Never heard another word. Took years to build that tool kit. I fixed many bikes and changed many tires on the side of the trail with that kit. I lost about $300 in parts, tools, tow rope etc.

My new kit is coming along. Probably will never be as good as my old tool kit though

Got to love how honest people are.
  13. DualMule

DualMule Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many won't return tools, but if you don't have contact information they can't.

I lost my wallet with $80 in it at a drug store. Someone found it and turned it in to the store, which used my DL and a business card to confirm ownership and contact me. I didn't expect the cash to be in it, but it was.

Maybe the crows are running off with those shiny tools :-)
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  14. Juan Valderrama

Juan Valderrama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola, I made this video (sorry is in Spanish but it is self explanatory) on making a tool kit for a KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA. It's a racing bike and the tools are focused on the race. The motorcycle runs on mooses. The pilot has plenty of rally experience.

I hope you like it!

[​IMG]

Broadcasting from Bogotá, Colombia.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/c/TallerValderrama

Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/eltallervalderrama/
    keepshoveling likes this.
  15. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    I know a few folks on here use the chapman tools. I'm thinking of picking up a set and using it as the base of my minimalist toolkit
    Only downside, is that I do like ball head allen bit, which chapman doesn't have... I think might be worth compromising though

I like the look of the spinner for tight spots, and that you can attach the screwdriver handle/ratchet/extension at the same time.
    88k2010v3_1024x1024.jpg 31TnV50CNIL.jpg

The motorcycle set might be in my future
  16. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    So I lost my tool roll last week on the trail... bummer, but means I had the excuse to buy all the shit I actually want. Chapman set is on the way, and look what just arrived from Japan!

These spanners are awesome!
    I bought them individually in these sizes
    • 8mm x 10mm
    • 13mm x 17mm
    • 12mm x 14mm
    FYI: Yes, you can buy the full set of 6 on ebay for about $90, but it doesnt include these combinations! The full set includes redundant sizes like 11x12 and 14x15

Quality is very nice

Attached Files:

Juan Valderrama likes this.
  18. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. Who makes them?
  19. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, my beloved Asahi Lightools... 6 years since I posted, still love them, can't beleive I only paid $25 for the set.
  20. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    A Japanese tool brand called Asahi. I bought them here
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/i-tools/item/341446/

Scroll down a bit to "electric car" (??) and you can see all the other size combinations.

A bit of pertinent info from the website

Features(Lai tools spanner) x little
    -Niigata-Made in Japan-
    -Traditional spanner 25% to 50% lighter than was.
    -Very high quality at the new JIS get the intensity is even better.
    -In chrome-plated specifications look great, fit is excellent.
    -The spanner, Cartman is easy to use in tight spaces.
    -Groove spanner but the flying is possible.
    -Lighter to carry tools for the prevention of low back pain is effective.
    -Over spanner in the conventional sense tempting mortal is a design.