The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lexaria likes this.
  2. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Just to be sure, is everything in your pack? Anything in fender/tail packs? What fits well where? Any sneeky pete type options like spare levers on the lower tripple tree ( I think I've seen something like that before)......

In looking at the 525 I'm not seeing much in the way of places to carry stuff..... I too would rather have most of the hard stuff on the bike and not me.... I fall too much at this point.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Adh007

Adh007 Needs to get back to work

Oddometer:
    :clap
  4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Nice job Tim and thanks for taking the time...any way of weighing it?
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Tim,

I'm not sure that I can carry all that stuff. :scratch
    Can I just ride with you?
    slime likes this.
  6. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    On a dualsport (I'm thinking of my 950 here), there are lots of nooks and crannys to fill with tools, and I do. I hoseclamp tire irons to the subframe, put tubes in the fairing uppers, and have almost everything else in that pocket under the seat.

On dirtbikes, I carry it all in my camelback because I've never found a way to put it on the bike that will survive very long in the conditions I enjoy. Rear fender bags are typically both short lived and really restrict movement. Fronts can be useful if they aren't overloaded, but after having them fall off or break my fender innumerable times, I gave up and just started carrying the stuff.

:dunno

Tim's better prepared than me, though. :1drink
  7. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    That's my problem. I go from the dualsports (where I have stuff packed in the tailpack or around the bike) to the dirtbike and inevitably I need something that i have left packed on the dualsport. I am just going to follow the advice here and start packing everything someway. I can't use a fanny pack with my Koerta armour, so for now, it all goes in the backpack. :cry
  8. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that :rofl

I just carry a few extra power bars and make sure I have enough water to tide me over while I wait for them to backtrack...or come round for the next loop :lol3
    slime likes this.
  9. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    I broke down and bought multiple sets of tools for just this purpose.

Regarding the fanny pack, I have a bad lower back and those things light it up like nothing else. I keep everything my camelbak... ymmv... :dunno...
  10. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and glad you asked...I weighed it all, but the camera I was using was full of pictures so I don;t have proof...but:

Ogio fannypack: 6.5 lbs fully loaded

Backpack/supplies: 2.2 lbs (before a full H2O bladder is added)

I typically carry a Klim packable jacket too(light):
    [​IMG]

and sometimes my Icebreaker longsleever if I think it'll get chilly(light too):
  11. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    :huh OMFG :huh someone else who knows about Icebreaker? If your ever on the other side and can get to Tawa just up from Welly there's an outlet shop that sells the seconds.......... damn near got a whole wardrobe there...... :lol3

Almost a good enough reason to take a RPSC contract every few years......
    Kiwirich likes this.
  12. Meatwad

Meatwad NimRod

Oddometer:
    <o:p></o:p>
    Hilslamer,
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Good heads up on the Husky 1/4" & 5/16" reversible mini ratchet set. I picked one up at Home Depot and it’s replaced my old Craftsman ¼” ratchet (5 clicks per quarter turn). It has way better indexing (16 clicks per quarter turn!), is more versatile (with a wide variety of ¼” hex bits available everywhere plus the ¼” socket driver) in a much smaller and lighter tool.
    Even though I carry tools on my bike, not on my body I’m on a never ending
    quest for a smaller and lighter kit without losing the capability to fix it.
    Now it's time to raid my old Chapman gunsmith screwdriver kit.:evil
    Thanks for the all of the great ideas in this thread!
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I have been too cheap to do that, but it is getting to that point. I like the spontaneity (sp?) of being able to hop on the bike and go. Transferring stuff around isn't cutting it.

We went out yesterday and rode single all day at Sipapu again (:yum ) and my loaded back pack combined with my Koerta pressure suit was killin me. If the backpack wasn't strangling me the Koerta was pushing my pants down around my ass. The back protector on the Koerta extends way down towards the tailbone and it gets hung on the top of the pants pushing them down. I think a fanny would make it worse, but I can't take the tools in the backpack any more.

This thread has given me some great ideas for tools/gear, and some for packs as well. I've gotta do something different there. :nod
  14. Scrubs

Scrubs erm

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of refining and putting together a tool kit.
    I have a question, are the combo wrenches nessacarry if I carry
    sockets and ratchet and an adjustable wrench?

and if the only reason was to hold one side of a nut
    would I be at a disadvantage with carrying 2 adjustable wrenches
    instead of the combo wrenches?

seems a simple way of saving more space and weight but I'm
    sure I must be missing something?
  15. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Disassemble!

Oddometer:
    Most bikes that I have worked on have bolts/nuts that are not accessable with simply a socket. Sometimes you will be able to use an adjustable wrench but not always due to space considerations. All depends on your bike (and how much you like the people you ride with). Check out all the bolts/nuts that would be working on and base it off that.
  16. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Another addition:

I use a 4 in 1 screwdriver commonly available at Ace (or just about anywhere else) like this:

[​IMG]

The reason it's great is that if you remove the bit, the well the bit fits into is 5/16" = 8mm.

I carry it as easily accessible as possible, so I can twiddle with suspension, and do common tasks using the 8mm, without having to get all the way into my toolkit. On the KTM dirtbikes, for instance, you can get the seat and tank off with nothing more than this screwdriver.

:thumb
  17. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    A look at a PARTIAL of Yellow Pig's tookit from MOAR last weekend. He got two front flats during the ride.

Attached Files:

18. Tollster

Tollster Jammer Jay

Oddometer:
    Very well done Hilslamer, for a second there I though I was tagging along with Dick Burleson on an ISDT...... Ahhhh the mamories!
  19. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tim, thanks for such a detailed look at your kit. I always have to ask for someone's tools when I break down, party because I never know what to pack. It's nice to finally have a no-nonsence shopping list.

Up untill now I've been carrying my tools and stuff in a backpack, but it seems too heavy, especially with 3 liters of water in there too. Apparenty 3 liters of water weighs just as much as the whole kit you listed and doubling the weight on my back would kind of suck.

So....

Has anyone tried the Wolfman Enduro Tool bag (bolt down) or Wolfman Enduro front fender bag? I'm interesteded in both, but want to know if they work before I buy them.
  20. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    The wolfman stuff is really nicely made.

IMO, the issue comes down to your bike- First, if your fender is sturdy enough to support the weight, and second whether having it there will impede your ability to move around on the bike.
    slime likes this.