The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm? What does "7075 aircraft grade aluminum alloy steel driver handle" really mean?
  2. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Translation: This will make your pecker stiffer.
  3. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Or this would be a warning to me
    • These are precision mini ratchets bits & sockets, so they're not intended for high torque applications.
  4. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sprouty115 like you I hated the dial mechanism to change drive directions. As you mention it's not intuitive when yer used to normal levers on ratchets to switch directions. The levers are easier to switch direction as you only need a thumb opposed to a thumb and forefinger. However after a bunch of wrenching with the tool you soon adapt. The minor inconvenience of the dial is soon offset by the usage of tool switching as easily from breaking bolts loose to screwdriver mode to remove them quickly. It packs slightly larger than my 1/4" Flex head breaker bar but the convenience was worth it I decided. I also found utilizing Bits (torx and Hex) with a traditional Ratchet head not as efficient.

By all means use for a bit, then make a decision.

Best of luck.
  5. team ftb

Oddometer:

Great to have yer smiling mug posting back here. This boys, is the gent that started this thread all those years ago. Obviously looks like you're finding something new to try.
    hilslamer and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put my ratchet to work tonight. I found that the connection from the ratchet to the extensions has a massive amount of play or wobble, on both the short extension and the longer one. A direct connect with a socket has some wobble, but not as much with the extensions. Still, I had a wtf moment.

I've never seen that much play. Does yours do that too?
  7. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you have, but the shorter extension in the Wera kit I have came with an 8794A "wobble" extension. Notice how the male side is angled where it connects to a socket. This allows the extension to act like a universal joint.
    317hhB5laZL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_...tchets_1_4_zyklop_accessories_1_4_8794_a.html
  8. ThirtyOne

Oddometer:
    I have the 28 piece 1/4 drive kit.

Wera 05004016001 8100 SA 6 Zyklop Metric Speed Ratchet Set, 28 Piece, 1/4" Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IMF1CDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Qd3nCbS9C6RNZ

Both extensions move around quite a bit. I'll see if there's an easy way to upload a short video. It just doesn't seem right, but it's also my first time with any Wera products. Maybe that's the way it's designed.
  9. stillwater0302

stillwater0302 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same kit as yours, ThirtyOne. A certain amount of tolerance seems be be consistent across the board on the Wera ratchets, sockets and extensions - usually erring on the side of loose. I've not found it to be too troublesome in actual use and purchased a SAE version as well.

EDIT: A comment to the following review notes the same experience. https://toolguyd.com/wera-zyklop-socket-extensions-review/
  10. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr_McBride and ThirtyOne like this.
  11. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    That's the spirit that keeps this thread (and us tool addicts) alive! :photog
  12. ThirtyOne

Oddometer:
    Does yours wobble as much as this? While filming I noticed that the extensions wobble quite a bit, and the bid adapter doesn't as much, so perhaps it's inherent in the design.

[​IMG]

In comparison, this is my 3/8" drive Stanley with extension. Not nearly as much play.

[​IMG]
    simplemind likes this.
  13. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I'll have to check mine when I get home. I don't remember the extension-to-ratchet connection having that much free-play.
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  14. ThirtyOne

Oddometer:
    Please let me know. I also sent an email to Wera with a link of that video clip. Let's see what they say...
  15. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  16. ThirtyOne

Oddometer:
    Btw, just fiddled around with the sidecovers of my CB500X to get at the coolant reservoir and also with my forks (they were a little tweaked). The Wera kit performed great. I really like that the ratchet can flip up from 90 bent to straight to easily spin off fasteners. I also discovered that the kit will fit nicely under my seat. From the looks of it, the 12/13mm sockets and the 5mm hex are really the only bits that'll be used, but it's nice to have the kit should I need to work on another bike or for whatever else. Should I be a purist and cut out every single little piece that doesn't fit my bike? Hmm...
  17. team ftb

Oddometer:
    I have only purchased the Wera Ratchet, my extensions are not Wera. I don't notice excessive Wobble in my usage, then again my primary concern is reliability and strength.

I did compare the amount of extension wobble to my 3 1/2" 1/4" drive Snap On regular 90 degree ratchet and on a 6 inch extension there is roughly twice the amount of wobble. Not sure if the swivel head is a large variable in this or not. As mentioned I have used the tool for 18 months as my only 1/4" drive tool in my toolkit and garage and the wobble never hindered me with anything when it came wrenching. Then again if it is a deal breaker for you it is something that matters.
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  18. ThirtyOne

Oddometer:
    Just curious if it's just my set or its in the design. That's all. The kit works great for what I've been using for so far and it fits under my seat, so I'm happy with it.
  19. stillwater0302

stillwater0302 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm only seeing an HTML IMG code in your post and not a link to video clip. Maybe my browser... Sorry, mate.
    250senuf and ThirtyOne like this.
  20. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    FWIW, same for me, but it does send me to Imgur if I right-click on the image and open a new tab - then the gif plays automatically.
    ThirtyOne likes this.