The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take both; vise grips come in lots of sizes and even a small set (?) is very useful.
    SmittyBlackstone and dsilver1007 like this.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost 50 yrs of riding and I've never had use for them, not even once. Terrible tool, invented by the devil, that does more damage than anything else.

(See what I mean - even talking about them makes me anxious...)
    joe a and Magus like this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    LOL
    sprouty115 likes this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have carried a spare shifter since I began riding KTM's with alloy shifters. A spare is way lighter than vice grips and, oddly enough, works better as a shifter.

On my 640 the spare shifter lived under the seat. Once I go to a smaller LiPo battery on my 525 and free up some space, that's where it will be on it.
  6. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Well, that certainly looks like it would get you out of a bind - but so will this...
    20160818_174151.jpg
    tonyubsdell and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Duc Multi-620 had issues. Note where it was broken off. The bike had 200 miles on it, and broke going down the road. It wasn't the shifter itself, it was the bracket holding the shifter pivot and linkage.
    See this one welded:
    [​IMG]
    SmittyBlackstone and sprouty115 like this.
  8. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Wow, certainly a train wreck - I applaud your MacGyver skills.
    JimVonBaden and Rectaltronics like this.
  9. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which I assume is pretty important, since KTM have supplied one as standard in every toolkit since the year dot.
  10. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Usually the lever is broken off, not missing. So you put the vice grips on the stub of what's left. Not the spline. If I had to choose one tool to add to the usual basic factory tool kit on a motorcycle, it would be my teeny 5WR vise grips. They're not something I use often in the workshop, but they're hugely useful for roadside repairs.

Cheers
    Clint
  11. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I know I shouldn't ask, but...doing what?
  12. auguzt

auguzt get on with it

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's 205...
    Anyway, THE race is over and I still have some Dakar Blues.
    So here it is, the toolkit as used by Matthias Walkner on his KTM

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/ktm-dakar-rally-tool-kit

That made me think about the real purpose of the right collection of garage toys. Is your toolkit prepared to keep your bike maintained or just to get the ride home?

The aim of racing is way different than touring...
    plissken likes this.
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    The last few times I've used them it has been to hold a bolt or part while cutting or filing it. Pressing a chain joiner side plate on. Putting on some other tool to get more leverage. Clamping on the broke off end of a clutch cable to make it (just) usable. Cutting some fencing wire to tie some parts back on a crashed bike. Undoing an axle nut on someone else's bike cos they don't have any tools & your axle spanners are different. Holding the cook pot after the handle broke off... The list goes on. I sure wouldn't carry a full size set of vise grips but the little ones are massively useful for their size.

Cheers
    Clint
  14. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the response, and I have to admit that they would be useful in pressing a chain side-plate on.
  15. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in serious envy if that bitchn’ (!) safety wire thing attached to the shift lever. Is that something you spun together yourself or purchased somewhere? I lost a shift lever off the 500 one ride and had not that nor a magic vise grip...
  16. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Lots out there - this is one.
    Magus likes this.
  17. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have carried vice grips before, and have used them before for this and that, never as a lever. I took them out of my pack because all the vibrations eventually dislodged the locking mechanism rendering them useless. Granted, they were a cheap HF pair of vice grips so YMMV.

The OEM KTM levers are very light and can be packed away for use only if needed. I have lost a shift lever once while racing an enduro, completed the enduro in second gear, but close to last place :lol3. A light alloy back up would have been a huge plus.

I broke a brake lever in the middle of the Rockies. Yes, I could have completed the ride without a front brake lever, but rather, I replaced it at camp that night using the spare lever I carry. When I am out on a ride, I am usually not very close to a cycle shop and a detour of a couple hours doesn't fit into my agenda, especially when it is so easy to carry the spare levers. 90% of the time, I am traveling solo so I can't rely on a friend and a tow rope...instead I will need to rely on a tool that only weighs a couple grams...my AMEX!

I have been contemplating carrying spare cables and fuel pump also. If I could find some space under the seat for all the unlikely-to-need but trip-ending replacements, it would make my decision easier.
  18. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Yup, you can buy them as linked above, or just go to the big-box home improvement store and buy the cable, crimps, and heat-shrink tubing.

You will also need a wire rope swage tool.
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/Covert-Swagi...FxiWPFbMh-7ASSIEebfvy1jt6xIPUn9gaAoGyEALw_wcB

Btw, I changed the connection point to the skid plate after that picture was taken. I ran the front loop through a small angled bracket with a screw to the plate. That way I can pull the skid plate without removing the shift lever.
    wee-twin and Magus like this.
  19. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone clear this up for me - KTM's have an alloy shift lever, presumably for weight savings, so the answer is to carry another one for when the original breaks...