The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    What is everyone using these pliers for? I can't fathom a reason to carry one day to day on a motorcycle, let alone a bicycle.
    outbacktm likes this.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bunch of riders told a friend on a new-to-him bike that his chain was too tight. No tool kit on the bike. The pliers (6" I think, smooth jaw version) opened JUST enough to fit his rear axle nut so we could loosen it so the chain could be adjusted.

Ram mounts use imperial fasteners. Instead of carrying imperial tools on an otherwise metric bike the pliers are good enough.

When adjusting mirrors (or fixing them after a drop) you sometimes need two wrenches of the same size. A socket doesn't work. The pliers come in handy.

Etc. I don't use it often, but it is used.
    AllSeasonRider and redkerk84 like this.
  3. mr2autoxr

mr2autoxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep mine in my bicycle tool box. Covers all the wrench sizes you could need in one tool. It's not always a replacement and I don't carry them on my dirtbike but I may take out my wrenches and try this route with the 7-1/4" one
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  4. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're saying that nowhere in any of your tool kits do you have an adjustable spanner? It's like one of those but a hundred times better.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No

[​IMG]
  6. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Weird. I’ve always used metric wrenches on all my RAM stuff with no issue.
    Iowa_ADV likes this.
  7. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my Knipex 8603180 7-Inch frequently at home, where they have replaced my 6" and 8" adjustable wrenches. The 10" Knipex might go on my Christmas wish list, just because my wife wants gift ideas, and I enjoy using the smaller ones.

I can only think of 1 or 2 places on my motorcycles where an adjustable wrench or pliers could work, but the correct tool is smaller and lighter, so the Knipex pliers stay at home.
  8. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    If you haven't tried them you can't understand how nice they are
    Edoz, AllSeasonRider and Luckycharms like this.
  9. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The $50 on one tool is kind of a hard pill to swallow. What if someone steels your tool kit or you lose your tools? I was removing my horn today and did not have an 11 mm wrench. It is in a tight spot and I did not want to remove the gas tank. The Knipex pliers would have been perfect. Instead I ended up clamping onto the outside of an 11 mm socket with vice grips.

In my opinion the Knipex pliers would prevent you from having to carry more tools and just make life easier.
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I agree that Knipex pliers are fantastic. By far the best pliers I have ever used. Worth the money IMO. That being said, though I bought them to keep in my bike tool kit, I found that I never needed them there and they just took up space. I love using them in the shop though.
  11. TigerDude

TigerDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To fix Harleys broken down on the roadside that won't take my metric wrenches.
    9Realms, AllSeasonRider and marchyman like this.
  12. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out with dirt biking friends one day and somebody needed pliers, nobody had any. Leatherman wave went in my kit the following week. I helped some guy with a broken footpeg right at a gas station close to the tail of the dragon (the one where Cherohala skyway intersects i think?) when on a cross crountry trip. There's no reason to carry one, until there is. :D
  13. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
  14. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if motion pro ever released their titanium multi tool?

IMG_4963.jpg
  15. TigerDude

TigerDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If they have, Dennis Kirk doesn't sell it, because I just went through their entire web listings of Motion Pro tools (I bought a PBR Chain tool today).
  16. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The backstory is that MP released a prototype picture and then did nothing afterwards
  17. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    I have this set in my DR-Z400S tool kit. Fantastic pliers.
    Solo Moto likes this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I promise I'm not trying to be ornery, but it sounds like folks like these pliers when they don't have the correct tool. If I'm putting together a tool kit, I'd rather just put the correct tool in there. If you ride with people who don't carry their own tools or maintain their bikes, I can see a use case. There's also not that many different fasteners on a bike, so a set of the correct wrenches or sockets would not be any bulkier or heavier - not to mention you'd need them anyway since the pliers won't fit everywhere.

I do have to admit that I have some RAM mounts, but my MP multi tool has a 7/16" wrench that works on them in a pinch. I also can't think of much they would work on on my bicycle - aside from brake lines and the rear axle, everything is hex or torx.

Put another way, if I were working in the garage with my entire tool box at my disposal and these were in it, I would literally never reach for them.
    BruceBerry and 2talltom like this.
  19. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you own a crescent wrench? Channel locks? These pliers fall into that general category.
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I own both, and carry neither on the bike. I can't recall ever using either on a bike while at home, either.
    outbacktm likes this.