The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to Menards today for a part and decided to check out a 7" pair of Knipex pliers. It was a big mistake, I never should have handled them. As soon as they were in my hands I experienced a euphoric primal urge to never part with this tool.

My first impression before seeing them in person was that they would be big and clunky. They are much smaller than I thought they were going to be. I went with the 7".

Someone already mentioned that he bought a 7" pair of these and uses it in his motorcycle tool kit, but most of the time he uses them in his garage on projects. That is my plan for them.

I agree, that they will probably not see a lot of use in my moto tool kit, but there is an added sense of security knowing you have a tool that is less likely to damage the crap out of a bolt head.
    redkerk84, 9Realms and keepshoveling like this.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh. Sure. Working on the bike. But what you wrote was:

You didn't say "working in the garage on my bike". I often grab tools like the smooth jaw pliers when working in my garage, just not necessarily when working on my bike (with the exception of adjusting mirrors because I may not have two open end wrenches of the appropriate size).
  3. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:

Why carry 5 tools when you could accomplish the same with one tool?

For a lot of guys, the knipex end up saving a good amount of weight and space in their tool rolls because it replaces a lot of tools.

Another plus is that the knipex are much less likely to strip any bolts like a box wrench can. Not saying thats reason enough in itself but I'd rather use the knipex than those multi sized double open ended wrenches
    Grreatdog, brianpc and Luckycharms like this.
  4. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at the pic. I too have both 3/8" and 1/4" Wera sets.........But why would you carry the 5, 5.5, 6 or 7MM sockets? Why carry all of those Philips bits? My tool kits include a minimalist selection of sockets, wrenches and bits for each of my bikes. All of them include this wrench
    [​IMG]
    That 6 inch adjustable wrench is amazing. Tight jaws and it keeps me from having to carry any open or box wrench larger than a 15mm.

And by the way......I have both 6" and 7" Knipex. I never carry them because they do not work nearly as well as the ChannelLock.
  5. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's already been posted in this thread......probably a few times......but if you want an incredibly good multi-function set the Chapman Mfg moto set is awesome and a bargain.
    https://chapmanmfg.com/products/1916-european-japanese-motorycle-set
    ChapmanMFG likes this.
  6. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

^^^^^^^this.

Like a camera, the "correct tool" is the one that works, and the one you have with you when it's needed. :)
    spaceman_spiff likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because they take up no real space, weigh nothing substantial, and may come in handy. Never, not once, needed and adjustable wrench on a bike on the road.
  8. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    maybe they decided to stick with this one, with built in pipe for the potheads

[​IMG]
  9. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be fair to @JimVonBaden the 7mm is really useful for jubilee clips.
  10. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tool is 10 years old.

Mp has ti experience so it’s frustrating they didn’t progress
  11. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    As a fitter by trade, there is a certain order for tools, where possible! I try very hard to get the kiddies in my care to follow the order below, at least while I'm watching over them!

Single hex sockets, preferably impact.
    Double hex sockets.
    Single hex ring spanners
    Double hex ring spanner.

Quality open-end spanners.

Right down on the last to use are crescents/shifters, pipe wrenches and so on. They just fuck things more often than not.

Where things like Knipex plier wrenches fit in is up to you, I personally am a big fan, and they have replaced multiple tools on the bike as well, but at work, I try to keep to that order above [ not always successful though ]

Each to their own of course.
    glockman likes this.
  12. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

I can't even remember the last time I used an adjustable on my bike (if ever...) and I have never used my Knipex pliers on my bike. IMHO, if you are using an adjustable/Knipex on your bike, you don't have the right tools. I have 2 pairs of Knipex pliers and they are great tools, and have their uses, but work on a bike is not one of them.
    outbacktm likes this.
  13. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Knipex discussion was beaten to death many pages ago and likely many more before that. They can be a convenience when the correct tool is not at hand. Not on my present bike but, on previous bikes, home and boat they have been useful. My tool kit contains what I need for my bike but I include the Knipex just in case I have the opportunity to help out a fellow rider who may need a wrench neither of us have.
    joefromsf and j21a2t89 like this.
  14. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me its not all about the bike. As a Moto traveler Other bits of my kit might need repair. Stove, bent D-ring or a loose bolt on a camp site bench. My carry is a bit more general tools as a result. Boy scout moto and all.
    Bill 310 and Valker like this.
  15. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I like this Channellock adjustable. I have the 8" version on my toolboard, it's replaced my 10" Crescent. I also have a Knipex plierwrench in my onboard tool roll. Are you saying that the Knipex isn't as good as the Channellock? I'm curious as to what's the difference.
    [​IMG]
  16. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    the base tool of that is older than 10 years. I have one from the 90's, sold as a skateboard tool. Many brands of the same thing.
  17. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    If buying Knipex from Amazon be aware of counterfeits. I had some fullfilled by Amazon that were fake
    9Realms likes this.
  18. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get my Knipex, Wera, Wiha, etc from KC Tools or Chad’s Toolbox. I think they are both trustworthy.
  20. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this a Knipex thread?
    Zubb likes this.