The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently.
  2. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Try it. You might like it.
  3. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Other than hack fixes, most pliers will do it screw up nuts and bolts. I generally use them only after someone else has. No need for them if you have the right tools!
    AllSeasonRider and 2talltom like this.
  4. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    so you’re telling me there’s a chance?
  5. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Apologies if this is 205.

I'm looking for a tool carrier that will fit under my left pannier rack on a KTM 790. My 990 had an aftermarket 2:1 exhaust, and the left muffler was replaced with a very nice tool tube that would fit a lot of spare parts and tools.

I found this that I can probably make fit.

https://www.wish.com/product/5b30ca...R83Z820Fb3glDlJn4i_e3RoC48wQAvD_BwE&share=web

[​IMG]

FYI, I'm aware of the generic plastic tool tubes and already have a spare floating around. Looking for something sturdier and roomier.
  7. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is pretty cool!
  8. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
  9. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my 790 dilemma as well, but your link no worky. Can you repost or give brand and model number?
    thx
  10. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    You obviously haven't tried them
    Luckycharms, Wattner and Valker like this.
  11. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Theese have smooth jaws.
    I have smal cut down tire levers, and use the knipex as a rear axle wrench, an axle wrench that fit not only my bike but everyone elses. I have 4 bikes, and theres 3 different sizes of rear axle nuts. (22, 24 and 27)
    It will also tighten the 19mm footpeg bolts, remove a sparkplug from a dt125r without removing the tank/fairings ect ect.

So I saved some weigh and bulk for tire levers/axle wrench and a sparkplug socket, and got a more versatile tool instead.

For me it flat out works.

I also bring feeler gauges, tow strap, spare clutch and brake lever, jb weld, spare masterlink, a piece of fuelline, a few different bolts, washers, and locknuts ect ect ect based on what I've needed to get people home. I've rarely needed much myself, but if some guy breaks down, we all stop anyway.

A bmw rider lent a spare clutch lever, I've fixed a few broken chains, I soldered a fresh clutch cable with a jetboil stove, helped to fix a dusin flats, set the valves on a ticking exc400, reinstalled someones exhaust when he lost it becauese a bolt backed out (hence my bolt kit), tightened a few loose chains, and loosened a few tight ones, installed a hose clamb on a ktm 950 where the front sprocket nut came of. Based on that, i bring shit with me. My kit still only takes up a bit more space than a 6pack (excluding spare tubes, and depending if i bring a pump or only co2)

I use the same tools in the garage for maintenance.

We're all different, and hopefully here to share our experiences.
    outbacktm, Chalkie62 and flei like this.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I have. They are the best hack tool you can buy! But, why not use the right tool. A tool kit should be well thought out, not just filled with expensive tools you may never need.
    2talltom likes this.
  13. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Are you aware of the GIVI S250 that's similar? Internal divider, water proof with a gasket. They have a universal kit and the lid can go on with the lock up or down for flexibility. Not that hard to roll your own mounting kit. I don't think they offer an over priced mounting kit specific to the 790 yet.
    [​IMG]
    Chalkie62, Bowler, Spyrious and 2 others like this.
  14. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that would work on a KLR with Happy Trails rack and cases??
  15. TigerDude

TigerDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the thing - these aren't channellocks with grooves to screw up any nuts you find. They're smooth, adjust to nut size, and work amazingly well.
    Luckycharms and Wattner like this.
  16. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    I think you must be thinking of a different tool.
  17. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree and carry a well thought out kit with what I will likely need. I use my tools in my kit at home to test things, and feel good about what I have in my it.
    With that I carry a small Knipex as a hack tool, you never know when you won't have the right tool, need to improvise something, etc, etc. The weight penalty is not a ton and if I use it once to get out of a jam it is worth more than I paid for it.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    To both, no.
  19. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I found that one too. From my research it appears to be ABS. Sitting right over my chain and getting splattered with oil is not a good situation for ABS. I think I'll take my chances with the aluminum GS one. I will, of course, have to find rattle can paint in KTM orange :deal
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Err, you do understand that body panels and fenders are ABS, right? I've yet to see the underside of a fender painted. I suppose if you're using some odd toxic sludge on your chain...

Resist the urge to paint it orange. There are multiple threads on every forum about what color code to use to match KTM orange. KTM, in fact, doesn't know either, so keeps changing it. :fpalm
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.