The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Wiha Ultra Driver series are quite versatile. Iirc, the Tradesman set comes with the widest variety of bits.

[​IMG]
    https://www.wihatools.com/ultra-driver-socket-set

I wish it had a hex flange on the shaft so additional torque could be applied with a wrench. I've read complaints about the cap tabs breaking, but I haven't experienced that problem.
  2. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those following along: Here’s a size comparison I found online of the 813R (finger size, fixed locking), 816R (standard size, fixed locking), and 818/4/1 (bits in handle + telescoping locking)
    D8F396C3-A173-404D-8AC7-70F3A36E3A0E.jpeg

The 817 @Oddfellow linked is the same as the 816 in diameter and somewhere between the 816 and 818 in length. It will be a bit heavier with that telescoping extension, if you’re a gram-counting type.
    I ended up replacing the 813 (non-R) in my previous pic with a 816R as the perfect Goldilocks companion to the magnetic extension from the PrestaCycle T-Handle.
  4. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    That looks a lot like my current setup:
    Bits and sockets that fit different drivers.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. maden

maden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ultra light minimalist take on the Mosko Moto Pinner Tool Roll - mini review:

I got a killer deal on a 2nd hand never used Pinner Tool Roll from Mosko Moto. From the perspective of Mosko Moto this is supposed to be a minimalist tool roll for typical day trip/dual sport use. To start with the conclusion: I`m glad it was a killer deal. No way I would pay retail for this thing. Don`t get me wrong, it`s well built. Problem is that it is well built to the extreme. I have not had it on a scale yet, but my guess would be that the roll is close to 0,5kg (1lbs) on its own. So not ideal for when you want to ride with only a backpack. I do however kind of like the size even though it is way to big to be called minimalist. (I wonder who the h*** has the need for the larger Fatty Tool Roll...) I put my entire KTM 690 toolkit + 3 tire irons, Leatherman, a roll of gorilla tape, zip ties, velcro, giant loop rubber straps, and there is still a lot of free space. Packing it on the bike, it will fit fine in one leg of my Giant Loop Mojave with room to spare. It also comes with a water proof bag that is useless if you pack tire irons in the roll. In addition it will make an already extremely bulky tool roll even more bulky, so i leave it at home. Final words: Well built, but over kill for the intended application. I would like to see the roll made out of a lighter material. If it happens to break after 5 years of use, I`m ok with that. All told I will use the tool roll until I find a good deal on something I like better.
    Magus and XRHondafan like this.
  6. ncrambler

ncrambler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wera tools are the shit! Love mine.
    Magus and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:

I got rid of all my tool rolls and now use the KLIM Arsenal Tool Pak. I like how they zip shut and open like a clam-shell. They hold a ton of stuff and are only around $20 to purchase. I have one for each of my bikes now.

[​IMG]

The top one is for my XR4 and is packed for dual sport / long distance / multiple day trips like Baja so it's jammed with a ton of stuff. The Brown one is for my CRF and only used on day rides so it's got less stuff in it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use some Voile Straps to put it on the back fender of my CRF and they work great.
    [​IMG]
  8. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Cabrito, about what are the dimensions of the Klim tool pack? Quick Google search is not revealing the answer.

Thanks,

Vinnie
  9. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
  11. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    SmittyBlackstone and ZoomerP like this.
  12. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Very true. It's not unique to motorcycles, but I'm also annoyed by a lack of weights being published by manufacturers.
    SmittyBlackstone and currenv like this.
  13. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be funny here but a sewing kit is one oh my vital tools. A button replacement and a sleeping bag repair were necessary on my just completed 3 week journey. 76306B72-0724-4733-BD25-C606873709D7.jpeg
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got half a dozen of them from various hotels over the years. Great little kits, very useful.
  15. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Great for removing splinters as well.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ As is a pair of very good tweezers..
    SmittyBlackstone and j21a2t89 like this.
  17. ncrambler

ncrambler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    outbacktm and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. ajs18s

ajs18s ARTE et MARTE

Oddometer:
    Hey, could you guys recommend aTorx bit/Allen key bits set, I have a 2003 r1150gsa. So I would like a set that covers all sizes that I need. I see lot's of cheap set for sale but don't want to waste money or risk damaging the bike.
    Cheers all.
  19. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's readily available in Australia, but PB Swiss are excellent; however, they do cost more than most. If you can get them there, Bondhus are very good and reasonably priced. My recommendation for the best value.
  20. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one looks pretty awesome:
    [​IMG]