1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry a 3/8 kit on the bike, it's just okay to remove the rear wheel since the ratchet extends a bit. At home I use a longer breaker. The rear wheel on my GS get 60Nm, that's a good amount of torque for a small 1/4" ratchet. Not impossible, but the likelihood of breaking something goes up significantly.
  2. cug

Oddometer:
    I think that's the 1/4 inch kit. The 3/8 has larger sockets included and doesn't go as small.
  3. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right...
  4. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a could of the axle nuts I carry one of these or something similar (motion-pro may have some in aluminum and are tire spoons on one end), then I can skimp on the rest of the kit:

upload_2020-8-14_7-13-5.png
    flei and offtheback like this.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have that Cruz Tools wrench in 22mm/32mm because their steel version can take the torque that the aluminum Motion Pro combo/spoon wrench can't.
  6. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I don’t even know what to say to you if you’ve never used a ratchet as a hammer. Just kidding, I do. This is a safe space. It’s ok to tell us. You don’t have to hide your shame anymore.
    Exurban and Bill 310 like this.
  8. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    One day I came home to find my 30 year old Craftsman (i.e. a REAL Craftsman) 3/8 ratchet on my workbench with it's guts spread out next to it. Some pieces were missing so I couldn't put it together. Since cats don't have opposable thumbs the only other potentially guilty person in the house would be my wife, so I asked here where I can find the rest of the parts. She said something about them flying all over the place in the garage and she's sorry she broke it but she got really mad that my stupid tool stripped the stupid nut on her bicycle and it's my fault for buying stupid cheap tools so she lost her temper and hammered my workbench with the ratchet until the ratchet guts flew all over the place. I asked her which socket she used? She showed me the metric socket she tried to use on her SAE bicycle nut.

A short drive later I was at Ace Hardware to get new ratchet guts but they don't do that but they have a lifetime warranty so they offered to trade it for a new or refurb'd one but since it was 30 years old they'd have to send it in and I'd get the new(er) one in the mail. Sure enough two weeks later I got it; not the same part number though, and didn't ratchet as nice, lots of slop. Must be the new chinesium Craftsman so I went back to Ace and complained that I gave them a quality ratchet and got back a crappy one and they said "sorry, we can't get it back" and refunded the price of the new ratchet (and I kept the ratchet and sold it on ebay) and then drove to Harbor Freight and bought two of the composite 3/8 ratchets (one for garage, one for bike) that I absolutely love using.

A couple years later when divorcing and moving my stuff out of the garage I found the rest of the ratchet guts.

So yeah just because you CAN use it as a hammer, it's the wrong tool for that job.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You do understand - that bench was representing your head that day?
    JimVonBaden, Wattner, ZoomerP and 3 others like this.
  10. cug

Oddometer:
    Thread of BSC is down in the basement ... ;-)
    gammel likes this.
  11. Texcollect

Texcollect Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
  12. cug

Oddometer:
    No idea whether this is a scam, clone or whatever, but the Wera kit exists. The ratchet is tiny though, here it is next to my 3/8":

IMG_1731.jpeg

And here you can see it in an old shot of my tool roll, check the bottom right:

IMG_1733.jpeg
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
  14. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    My firewall says no way to that link. I suspect it's like a few other FB "too good to be true" ads, like the $60 kegerator ad. Check the "customer" ratings and the vendor replies. I'll bet the replies are nearly all identical. I don't know how they get away with it, but these are honey pots that get set up on FB. They get your contact info and a cc #, and off to the races we go....
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the Motion Pro steel axle wrench at home. It's a tool that can take a lot of abuse (as in official KTM rear axle torque setting: 100% of 1 grunt and 50% of 1 one stomp). But I don't carry it in my tool kit because it weighs about a pound more than a pair of MP aluminum spoons. So far the MP aluminum spoons have held up well to occasional trail use. The other aluminum wrench/spoons I bought (whatever brand our Cycle Gear carries) were crap.

I just added a last component to my lightweight, minimalist trail toolkit. A featherweight adjustable wrench. It isn't really necessary and probably not worth the price. But, hey, it's my 60th birthday and I needed to round up an Amazon $5 bearing purchase anyway for free shipping, so what the hell. That alone knocks $7 or $8 off the purchase price since I refuse to pay Amazon for the privilege of losing half of what very few things I buy there.

It does only have about half the slop of my 6" Crescent wrench (maybe 2/3's mm) and only weighs about half as much. I was hoping for a little better tolerances (no doubt spoiled by those damned Knipex gear pliers). But it's still a well made little tool compared to my other Crescent wrenches. But mostly it's a tool that I can hand to somebody else to abuse and/or lose on the trail instead of my wrenches or Knipex.

IMG_20200814_141028864.jpg
    motogoat likes this.
  17. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That little 1/4 rachet is rated to 100 ft lbs IIRC. My experience with it is amazing!
  18. shortman

shortman Beta 500 RS, X-Trainer 250 Supporter

Oddometer:
    kickstandsup likes this.
  19. cug

Oddometer:
    I have one as well and while I like it, I find it very bulky. I can't find a torque rating for the ratchet and personally I wouldn't want to use such a small tool for this kind of torque. But again, that might just be me.
  20. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    2, free shipping and all... :lol3