1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know of a 3/8" torque wrench with a range approximately 10 to 60 Nm and compact size? The 3/8" I've seen are all very bulky and heavy and the 1/4" I have is also a bit bulky plus goes only to 30Nm.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    TGTBT? The URL for the website offering that Wera kit for $30 is registered to this address. Enjoy your sushi!
    IMG_8395.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Size is kind of dictated by torque requirements. You're not going to find anything too compact with a 60 Nm requirement, at least not in length. I would say the CDI torque wrenches I have are pretty svelte.
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not worried, 70 bucks won't kill me. Plus, PayPal.
  5. cug

Oddometer:
    But only "kind of". Most torque wrenches in 3/8" go far higher and are much longer than needed for 60Nm. That's why I'm asking. The shortest I've found so far is still 320mm long and 470g. Not bad, all considered, since it's only 15mm longer than the 1/4" torque wrench I currently have which only goes to 30Nm.

This is it:

https://www.hazet.de/en/products/to...ible-ratchet-tolerance-3/4?number=en_5110-3CT

Goes for 144USD including shipping from Amazon Germany. For a Hazet tool, that price is incredible.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be worried if it were $10 a kit. Once in a while I take a chance on something like this, once in a while it's not a scam. When it has been a scam my credit card has always protected me (Paypal not so much; I've had to block xfers and cancel my PP account when they allowed someone from Beijing Paypal to pull $1200 out and refused to stop it).
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, everybody has a different risk tolerance, and for different things. Takes up to 20 days to ship. If/when I get them, I'll post up.
    Night_Wolf and Ladybug like this.
  8. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice wrench, a couple inches shorter than equivalent CDI, etc. And made in Germany at that price is surprising. Give it a go!
  9. cug

Oddometer:
    I will. Hazel is SnapOn quality (I actually prefer Hazel) and when bought directly in Germany a quarter of the cost.
  10. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Are you wanting to carry a torque wrench on the bike? There's digital torque adapters that are smaller
    dobby and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. cug

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily. I was mainly curious whether I could add something to my semi-mobile kit.

I can pull maintenance in or push it out as needed, but it would be nice to have an option.
  12. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hazel or Hazet?

https://www.kctoolco.com/Hazet/
  13. cug

Oddometer:
    Hmpf. Hazet. Damn autocorrect on the phone. I normally get the stuff directly from Germany. Sometimes when I’m there, other times shipped.
  14. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Well we can compare notes when our sushi arrives
    ZoomerP likes this.
  15. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I guess it is a bit late for this one spensive but compact

[​IMG]
  16. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Let's not forget the Chapman

This select set in my toolkit there are just some parts hard to reach where the Wera is just too bulky this fits perfectly

[​IMG]
    flei and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those little ratchets can be very helpful. I used one last night to deal with a shifter pinch bolt.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  18. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought that Newman Tools Super Mini Ratchet based off a post I saw on this thread *ages* ago. It's well made and works fine. However, I've ended up switching to the Wera Zyklop 1/4" drive. You get the CW or CCW ratcheting with the Newman by inserting the splined bits from one side or the other. There is a small "IN" and "OUT" emboss but it's tiny and hard to read (for my bad eyes) and I found I was often having to switch the bits around to get the direction I wanted. The Wera is just a quick click away to change direction, and the Wera can also go from 90-degree (classic ratchet mode) to in-line (like a screwdriver) in a snap. The Wera bits are also color-coded which speeds selection, while the Newman bits are all black and unmarked. Lastly, some time ago I wanted to reduce the size and weight of the kit and noticed they sold a shorter length ratchet. You can get a starter 6-piece kit for $180 (yes, pricey). But the price of the ratchet alone is . . . wait for it. . . . $187. Yeah, the ratchet alone is more than the whole kit with case, some bits, handle, and extension. I actually wrote Newman wondering if it was a typo and they basically said "Nope." So, I've moved on. Wera FTW.
    Newman01.png

If you're really in the market for a super-small well-made ratchet, I'd recommend this T-Ratchet by Silca. Silca is a bicycle accessories company, but this tool is smart and well-made. It's very small but the manufacturer confirmed the max torque is upwards of 40Nm, so it should cover most bolts on a motorbike. Its design allows it to convert from an "L" to a "T", there's a short extender, and a nice little soft case.
    https://silca.cc/products/t-ratchet_kit?_pos=4&_sid=be646d591&_ss=r
    Silca01.png
    ZoomerP likes this.
  19. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Silka used to (and very well may still) make very nice pumps. That's a pretty slick kit. REI carries it.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer: