The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will give somebody a few minutes to dick around fixing a flat or make some other repair. But at some point I run out out patience with the hapless and do it myself. Just as other people run out of patience with me when I'm stumped and they take over. The idea is to keep everyone going. Even the terminally unprepared, ill equipped, and/or hapless. Having been all of those things at some point in my life, I don't begrudge helping others.

At least not until it becomes habitual. I admit to getting a little frustrated with brother in law after three flats when he had no tools, no tubes, no patches, and no air. He went through all my CO2, patches, and tubes in one day. But I once had five flats one weekend and was bumming tubes despite carrying one and a patch kit. At least my BIL paid me back by having a spectacular crash right in front of me. Seeing that was worth all the shit I had to replace.
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :lol3

p.s. assuming he wasn't hurt of course...or maybe that's what made you laugh :dunno

:D
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No injury. But I watched him surf a log down an embankment on his helmet after looping.
    tobiism likes this.
  4. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    tobiism and ZoomerP like this.
  6. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I'm critical but that's too many ratchets and those sockets are stupid heavy
    At least drill holes and windows into those big ass sockets
    For the love of all that's HOLEY! Screenshot_20210602-142502_Chrome.jpg
    keepshoveling, glockman and ZoomerP like this.
  7. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    No chain tool, no pliers wrench, no Swiss cheesing.
    I don't know what to make of it.
    LuckyPunk and tobiism like this.
  8. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't.

:rofl

You don't have the sickness!
    ZoomerP likes this.
  9. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    I support 2 different bikes hence the 30mm adjustable wrench for 3 different size axle nuts. The redundant bit holders and dedicated sockets and giant plastic screwdriver handle is what kills me. So much wasted weight and space. I feel like the front page should be more in touch with reality.....

Edit: maybe that is reality. Maybe more riders should hang out in here.....
    glockman, ZoomerP and tobiism like this.
  10. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I'll bet James had the Ultimate Toolkit.
    Or is it has? Whatever. He'd fit right in.

tobiism likes this.
  11. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the chain breaker i have. It will press out the pin in a DID 520 X-ring chain without having to grind the pin first.
    It weighs 7.058oz and 6.780oz if you remove the M6 bolt and washer that can be used to bolt a handle/lever to it. You can either hold
    it with a shifting spanner or grab a screw and washer out your bag of spare nuts and bolts you probably already carry.

Lutz, glockman, Leon. and 5 others like this.
  12. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    Wow this thread died for almost a week and look what brought it back to life...:D
    I had not seen the Ballards tool. That looks good!!
    This one will be put to the test this evening. Let's see if it can break a EK MVXZ 520, which uses 530 size pins....
    20210608_103351.jpg
    tobiism likes this.
  13. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    Is that after you drill umpteen holes in it?
    :wave
    Bill 310 likes this.
  14. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    It's already super small and light. If it can push 10 pins unphased I will consider it for the ultimate toolkit.
    tobiism likes this.
  15. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    Here we go boys.....
    Most here know me by now. I'm an idiot but I'm happy to share what I've learned. (Caveat: I come from 26 years of shop floor manufacturing and quality control experience and have filled out countless 8D reports. Why, why, why.....if you know, you know....)
    Let's start with my control that has remained unchanged since I started posting in this thread over 6 months ago. EK 520 MVXZ chain. It has been discontinued and is now called the MVXZ2. Same pin diameter though. It's a big pin. It's a bastard chain. Even many Motion Pro chain tool instructions say, nawww we don't do that one.....

Anyway, let's get started. Here is what we're working with. EK 520 MVXZ. Same pin as the MVXZ2 that you can buy today.
    20210608_150121.jpg

The MP folding chain tool just felt crunchy. The action was not smooth. Grease was lacking and there was stuff on the threads.
    20210608_145129.jpg

I took it all apart and cleaned it and greased it all up good until I was happy.
    20210608_151803.jpg

Then I noticed that the counter bore in the main clamping bolt did not fit over the rivet head so, what to do??
    20210608_150000.jpg

Continue with the test and ruin it or rectify the situation? If you have been following along for the last 6 months you would know that I've already dealt with this situation and cramming it down over the rivet head will ruin everything and smash the clamping bolt around the pressing pin and wreak havoc. I gave it just a slightly deeper counter bore. Maybe .010". It didn't need much.
    20210608_151336.jpg
    20210608_151454.jpg

Now we go to cranking the sht out of it. Compress the o-rings on one side of the plate and then the other and back to the first side and begin pressing the pin. Here is how much the tool flexed after the clamping bolt was cranked down and I began pressing the pin.
    20210608_152401.jpg

It pressed both pins out easily! Very impressive!! Happy camper!!
    20210608_152926.jpg

Then it was time to dig deeper. The pressing pin would not come out of the clamping bolt. I had to use a punch to extract it.
    20210608_152843.jpg

I found the pressing pin had swelled on the tip by .003" (after I pounded it out) and was bent....(this picture was hard to get but I do it for my toolkit brethren.)
    20210608_153831.jpg

I fully intended to run this tool through 10 pins and share the pile of links and declare it the ultimate. After 2 pins, sadly, disappointment.... This is not the ultimate.............................................................................................
  16. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    In the name of full disclosure, I broke out the ultimate for another round. I'm glad I did!!!! I BROKE IT!!!!
    20210608_155523.jpg
    20210608_160006.jpg

This tool was tested a few times and I was confident! Y'all can clearly see the janky welds but it was awesome for a minute!!
    The hardware is still rock solid. This is the same bolts and pin I've had for over 6 months. Unscathed.
    20210608_155719.jpg

I need to buy myself a machine.....
  17. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Should we do nondestructive testing?

[​IMG]
    glockman, tobiism and oPAULo like this.
  18. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    No. Destruction is the only way to be sure.....
    raschaa, tobiism and ZoomerP like this.
  19. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    If anyone has interest in either of these tools, PM me. Brand new pins in each and the super lightweight tool kit has bonus hardened steel hardware to replace the aluminum stuff. I'll make you a good deal.
    20210608_162135.jpg
  20. 6gun

6gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent re: the MP folding tool!
    oPAULo and tobiism like this.