The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. JoeVstrom

JoeVstrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to keep up on this thread because I want to build a toolkit myself but there's so many tools I can't keep track of all of them. Is there a simple list of tools that are the essentials? Thanks!
    tobiism likes this.
  2. 6gun

6gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I googled "2014 V-strom tool kit" found a list and went from there! Might wanna try it for your specific bike.
    glockman and JoeVstrom like this.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Essentials vary from bike to bike. My last bike I needed torx bits. On my current bike torx bits are optional because KTM puts hex flats on their torx screws. Also, wrench sizes are different depending upon bike make. Do you need a 13mm socket/wrench or a 14mm socket/wrench? A spark plug wrench might be nice to have.. which one fits your bike?

What I find is as important as tools on the road are things to make repairs. A little bit of wire, electrical tape, cable ties, maybe safety wire, an assortment of fasteners, etc. It took the cable tie supplies from 4 bikes to sew a friends fairing back together to make the 500 mile ride home. That's what caused me to add some safety wire to my kit.
    chrispartida, tobiism and JoeVstrom like this.
  4. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man! That's a bummer! However the good thing is none of the guys I ride with use such a heavy duty bastard chain. As long as I carry a spare pin WHEN I do carry this tool we should be fine.
  5. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you could just get them all... I mean, there’s no such thing as ”too many tools”, right?
    oPAULo and JoeVstrom like this.
  6. JoeVstrom

JoeVstrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol, Well...I do love tools
    oPAULo likes this.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    draco_1967 and tobiism like this.
  8. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Doing the epic clean up of the toolkit.
    Came across 3 little plastic bags, carefully tucked away so the contents wouldn't be lost.
    I have absolutely no idea what they are used for, some "special task", but a long time ago they seemed important:hmmmmm 20210611_135432.jpg
    glockman, tominboise and tobiism like this.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a makeshift way to turn a balancing stand into a truing stand using the MotionPro chain alignment tool and a MotionPro master link press tool.
    171768A7-BBA3-4328-B691-B895980583CC.jpeg

ETA: a small c-clamp with the chain alignment tool would obviously work too.
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I'm not the only one using reusable wheel weights. Those things are genius.
    Motoriley, Siorc and tobiism like this.
  11. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've learned to put a note inside the bag to explain to future_me why the odd bits are grouped together. In some cases, I'll take a picture of the tools in use, print the photo and put it in the bag also. I used to print a copy to tuck into the shop manual, but these days that makes it hard to load the DVD.
    glockman, tobiism and Whiteeyelashes like this.
  12. tobiism

Oddometer:
    Awesome idea!
    Baroquenride and boulet_boulet like this.
  13. glockman

glockman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've thrown away "special tools" that I forgot what they were for and wondered why they were in a tool drawer. I now paint them white and write "TOOL" on them. Seeing that jogs my memory and I usually remember what they are and what they are for. Might copy the note method.
    SmittyBlackstone and tobiism like this.
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's funny cause it's true.
  15. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't throw them away, I just forget I have them in the first place and buy a second copy....Then I store it in my drawer of special tools, whereupon I find the first version....Getting old sucks.
  16. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Have been taking a close look at my tools and have 2 offenders that I've been chasing, the 1/4" drive ratchet and the needle-nose vice grips. If anyone here has the Harbor Freight 1/4" drive ratchet, could you please weigh it on a food scale and let me know how many ounces it is?

Harbor Freight ratchet.jpg
    tobiism likes this.
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you the weight. But I can tell you the quality. I have been hammering one for years and it is still my favorite ratchet.

It is much lighter than than my Craftsman metal 1/4" drive ratchet. Well worth the $8.59.

If I were going to carry a ratchet on the bike, it would be that one.
  19. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    With a 1/4" drive socket and 8mm & 10mm socket, I can take apart 75% of a KLX250S, lol. So yeah, the ratchet is a critical component. I ordered one of those Wera sliding T-handle jobs, I really wanted it to work but just could not get enough leverage with it to undo a few of the fasteners that I could with a ratchet.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. tobiism

Oddometer:
    I can weigh mine when I get home from work. If I remember right it weighed just about the same as my wera ratchet