The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My new warp 9 Wheels did not come with any such instructions. Neither did my last set. Weird
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is weird. I just looked in the shed and the instructions are no longer there, but they were very clear about something like ride for 10-20 minutes, retorque. Ride 40 minutes and retorque. Then check wheels after every ride for something like 10 rides. That’s from memory. Maybe @warp9man has time to comment?
  3. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, it's reasonable to look for loose spokes after building, during break-in. Just saying the margin for error in tension between spokes is orders of magnitude greater than bicycle wheels, where you can pull the rim in any direction between spokes with very small adjustments. Not possible with moto wheels.
  4. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ultimate prototype chain breaker passed with flying colors. I did a dozen 530 pins in a row with no grinding or filing. Tool is unscathed. This is the same HF hardware I've been using this whole time. The pressing pin has done dozens of presses. Body is 4140 steel.
    20210802_200544.jpg
    20210802_201003.jpg
  5. tobiism

Oddometer:
    I'm very excited to be the first person to congratulate you on building that bad ass chunk of chain busting Steel! Congratulations on a job well done! But what does it weigh!?!
  6. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy!! To my knowledge it's the smallest, lightest breaker that will reliably do a 530 chain. I'm going to smooth the corners tomorrow and might give it a coat of paint. I'll report back.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just Say No.

[​IMG]
  8. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    I chamfered all the edges and gave it a little clean up and pressed 2 more pins to make sure my kit tools were sufficient. I had to lever together the 2 Asahi Lightool shorties to get the job done. Pushing a 530 pin takes an incredible amount of force. Everything performed perfectly. The concept is proven. The PROTOTYPE weighs 11.5 ounces.....:augie
    20210803_165032.jpg
    Ladybug, outbacktm, Emgo and 7 others like this.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much does a clip style master link weigh?:amazon

[​IMG]

:hide
  10. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    Now you stop it. You been around long enough to know the answer.....
  11. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Surely you could chamfer another half ounce off it.I admire your perseverance though.
  12. tobiism

Oddometer:
    BOOM! I'm in love!
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever they weigh, keeping my magical talisman that has warded off chain problems for twenty five years in my toolkit is well worth the sacrifice. :pope
  14. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    11.5 ounces of prevention is worth more than 0.5 ounces of cure.

Pound wise, penny foolish? Yeah, that's the ticket.
  15. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After browsing this thread I’m amazed what everyone carries in a tool kit. I just bought a new 2022 xcw and just kept track of all the tools used to strip it, add mods, and put back together again. Only thing I used was 5 sockets, motion t handle, and a leatherman. Only have to add a rope tire patch kit and some form of air (pump or co2) and that’s all you need (maybe stuff like tape/zip ties/jb) I don’t even have to add a knipex pliers wrench but screw it.

Am I missing something or what’s with big huge toolkits?
  16. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

Tire Irons?

Some of us have different tool kits for different trips. A lot of guys use a scaled down kit like what you are describing for short trips.

The huge tool kits you see are for multi week/ month trips. If you have ever traveled in foreign countries then you probably know that it can be hard to find good tools when you need them.
    tobiism, ZoomerP and oPAULo like this.
  17. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    My kit is to support 2 bikes, (my wife and I) and whoever else in our group that might need it. It's a complete kit but I honestly don't notice it's on the bike. I guess I'd remove it if I were to race it again. Many here ride ADV bikes and do many cross country miles. Oil changes, tire changes, chain and sprockets, all done on the road. Kit goes in the bottom of the 40 liter pannier and they never notice it. Some here get WAY off the road where if you can't fix it, your walking out for hours and hours. Some here are just ready for the zombie apocalypse. Find gas and tires and ammo and the tools are on the bike.
    You say maybe some JB weld, (get the putty btw) do you have some sand paper and alchohol wipes to prep the surface of a busted case so it will stick? Say you get fence wire wrapped up on your hub? Got a way to cut fence wire? Bust off a shift or brake lever? Got a pair of vise grips? Slash a tire bigger than a pencil and you'll be looking for a tube and a way to install it.
    It's all just personal preference and your risk tolerance.
  18. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    I live in Western Australia, which in all seriousness is a very big place that is mostly empty.

Largish toolkits, reasonably comprehensive spares and stuff is just mandatory, because everywhere is a long way from everywhere else.....
  19. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    This thread probably isn't for you...
    LFC09 and MacG like this.
  20. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. That's one of the benefits of a KTM. Five size wrenches and sockets are about what I carry.

I did try to improve on my stock tool kit. But not by just throwing extra shit in the bag. So I keep an eye on this thread to see if anything cool shows up.

But my goal is always to improve quality while reducing size and weight.

[​IMG]