The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Safety Seal makes slim size strings that don't require glue and their reamer is designed to not damage the cords
    https://safetyseal.com/product/slim-repair-refill/
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley uses T27
    RonKZ650 likes this.
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Kind of a tool but I really recommend a volt meter on the bike itself. I have had one of some sort on my last few bikes. It is really nice when you notice an abnormal reading before a failure occurs. Took the 701 for a spin to check out me new rear tire and looked down to see 11 some odd volts and a max of 12.7 at high rpm. Odd as it is always 14.1. No warning lights on. Whip out the real meter to check and do some tests and it looks like a bad rectifier/regulator.
    IMG_0931.jpg
    Contrarian, ZoomerP and tobiism like this.
  4. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Airshot 1 vs Airshot 2
    Keep in mind version one has my eight gauge power cord that we also use as a jumper cord between me and my friends bikes as we all have eight gauge SAE cords attached to the batteries.
    First impressions are that I'm not super thrilled with the size of the unit on version 2 and the fact that the air hose and power cord are permanently attached. 20210912_085429.jpg 20210912_085412.jpg
    Whiteeyelashes and ZoomerP like this.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just opened my AS2. It does have some heft. I wonder if some of the increase is due to an overall hardier design learned from common failure points of the AS1.
    Whiteeyelashes and tobiism like this.
  6. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to that, but why don't they have a smaller sized, more compact insertion tool to match? I mean using a car/truck tire sized insertion needle tool tears the tire. They make tubeless MTB repair kits that are too small, seems like there should be an in between size for Motorcycles and ATV's. Dunno maybe I'm thinking too much into it. The car/truck sized tool obviously worked and the plug held fine for the 900 mile paved trip back to Oregon from Utah and is still holding air now but it just bugs the hell out of me. Lol
  7. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
  8. ZanderMan

ZanderMan Needs monitoring

Oddometer:
    I have this mounted on the bar, hooked to the aux feed. It has an on/off switch so you can check it any time, running or not. Reads sideways but that’s ok. 2 USB charging ports in the end. This reading is with ignition on, not running, headlights on so a bit low.
    IMG_8593.jpg
  9. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    Their reamer tool and installer don't damage the tire further. Cars and motorcycles get the same size screw punctures...
    unit3890, houlster, RonKZ650 and 3 others like this.
  10. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And when I used the car/truck reamer and insertion tool I physically saw it enlarge the hole in the tire. It actually physically split the small tear into a large tear. Period, there is zero doubt about that happening.

I don't get screw punctures I get punctures, tears and cuts from sharp jagged rocks off road. And just like how they make larger needle insertion tools and reamers for heavy trucks as compared to cars, and smaller needle insertion tools and reamers for Mountain Bikes, I would just expect the same for motorcycle tires as they are thinner, with smaller bias ply cords and or steel belted cords than car or light truck tires. Not sure why I must be the first person in the world to ever wonder about this?
  11. LKraus

LKraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reamers are sized to match the strings. If the hole is too small the string will be difficult to insert and subject to damage from being pinched by the belts. If the hole is sealed, it doesn't matter if its a mm or two larger. I've successfully fixed quite few punctures in bikes, cars, trucks, and tractors, all were permanent repairs that lasted the life of the tread, but I never had a chance to pick the size of the hole.

The Nealey Mini Tire Repair kit has worked well on my motorcycle, cars and compact tractor. Requires no rubber cement, which usually dries out before I need it.
    rlonstein and ZoomerP like this.
  12. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    And you weren't using the Safety Seal tools, correct? Normal reamers are abrasive. The SS one is smooth. But making the hole big enough to to put the plug in isn't damaging the tire and is why there are multiple sizes. I'm pretty sure the Nealy has the smallest installer
  13. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

Yep. The Nealey kit is that which thou seekest.

The Nealey tool is smooth and smaller diameter than the usual sticky string plugs as well. No rasping or reaming. The strings are smaller diameter, and they're installed in a very different way such that you end up with four thicknesses of string in the hole and a knot on the inside.

All in all, they work great on motorcycle tires and if you're concerned about reaming or rasping causing further damage, then they are just the ticket for tubeless motorcycle tires.
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  14. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a tire iron on the side of the tire thats mounted, to give me space.
    Made a quick video for a friend once, have a look here, at timemark 2:48

No pain or swearing involved, and the procedure is the same when mounting a rimlock.
    PYG RYDR, gammel, Spyrious and 2 others like this.
  15. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies in regards to Tubeless Tire repair!

I ended up ordering a Safety Seal ATV kit.

https://safetyseal.com/product/katvti/

and a Nealy Mini Kit

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/repair-kits

I couldn't decide between the two. Love the small tool size of the ATV Safety Seal kit and I already carry a few CO2 cartridge's. But the Nealy looked awesome as well but I really want to see how large the tool is. If it's larger than I prefer it will go in the truck. My toolkit is fairly small and I like to keep it that way.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  16. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you already got what you were looking for but FWIW Dynaplug does make different-sized plugs. I've only used them on my tubeless MTB tires so far but they've been great. I use the small plugs for small punctures, but have had to bust out their "Megaplugs" from time to time. I don't run tubeless on my dirtbike but may check out the Nealey and Safety Seal if/when I do.
    http://www.dynaplug.com/megaplug.html
    SFC_Ren and ZoomerP like this.
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little too "clever" to be a quick take on the subject of tire plugs, but interesting:
  18. chrispartida

chrispartida Regular dude

Oddometer:
    Anyone currently have, or ever used these Hazet bit wrenches? IMG_2333.jpg
  19. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Awww, kind of like mini-slugging wrenches.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. chrispartida

chrispartida Regular dude

Oddometer:
    I had to look that up, never seen those.
    These have a hex bit at the end, that inserts into the end of the stubby ratchet.
    y2blade, SmittyBlackstone and ZoomerP like this.