The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    In theory I like Dyna Plugs.

But jamming those things into the tire can be tough and they don't always seal very well.

I agree that causing effectively more carcass damage is an unpleasant thought but in reality it has never been an actual problem.

2. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only to lazy douches that don't carry the proper tools for their bikes.
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Not really, but if you ride with others regularly, you could very well end up riding more and dealing with dead bike logistics a lot less if you carry a few extras that aren't necessarily applicable to your bike. It's up to you whether it's worth it.

In my case, it usually is. I always seem to end up the default mechanic in any given group. I've saved someone's day with a tool or fastener more than once, which also saves everyone's day, my own included, because we can keep moving.

It's also simpler to just have one tool kit that I toss on whichever bike I'm riding that day. For example, I don't take the Nealey tire plug kit out of my overall kit when I'm riding the KLR650 (the tubes and tools specific for dealing with tubes stay on the KLR). And more than once I've plugged a tubeless tire on someone else's car or motorcycle while out and about on my KLR.

But adding a few torx bits and a 13mm socket for euro bikes and a few spare nuts and bolts doesn't take up much space or weight. I don't really hang around with Harley people, so I don't carry any inch tools.

Good point.

It is rather selfish, but very common, for riders to blast off for the day without any tools at all, not even the bare-bones contents of the factory tool kit, and thus no ability to deal with the most common issues.

I've seen people on dual-sport rides many times without so much as a single allen wrench or spare tube. Even if you're not much of a wrench, at least having a few basic tools and supplies might make it possible to get home without a trailer.
  4. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    20211005_163201.jpg 20211005_163522.jpg
    MAC tools makes a T45 in 1/4 hex drive btw
  5. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a cheater for the big wrench.
  7. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Cheater bar and axle push tool from stock ktm tool kit
    smackyface likes this.
  8. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

I've definitely been "that guy" before. So far I've been lucky on my Iowa dual sport rides. Guess our trails are not quite as technical as Colorado, Utah, or Idaho also.

Now I carry some tools.
  9. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from doing part of the TAT. I did Colorado and about half of the Utah TAT.

This was the first trip where I got to use my new Toolkit that I built from the advice on here.

I was very impressed with the functionality of my tool kit.

I only had to use it about 4-5 times, and I think 2-3 of those times were on other bikes, but wow is it nice to have really good tools that you know will not take long to fix something and are very lightweight.

On this trip I was helping fix KLR650's which is kind of funny, because in the past I had always been on the receiving end of getting help from KLR650 riders. I saved one guy who broke his clutch lever and didn't have a spare in the middle of Lockhart Basin, Utah near Moab.
    bwringer, Emgo, Mofrid and 3 others like this.
  10. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I think KLRs are so heavy that we don't mind carrying a few more tools. Or something like that.

Plenty of room in the milk crate, too. Just roll the tools up in a bit of cardboard and secure with a piece of old shoe string.
  11. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am desperate to acquire this Moto Guzzi tool kit, especially the adjustable wrench. It looks similar to this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't see that pic
  13. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    I'm doing a 4 day trip at the end of this month. Not a super hard track, but quite remote. Had a little pre ride chat over a few beers with the guys going, made it quite clear I wasn't going to be the "tool guy".

Will I help fix any problems?, absolutely, I'm all over them like a rash. Will I carry all the tools/spares to do it?, not a chance. I actually gave them a little list of stuff to take at a minimum for each bike [ KTM's and Yamaha's ], what to bring each, and what to share.

It's like talking to pre-schoolers sometimes.....:dunno
    Night_Wolf and Eurotrash-mtrcycl like this.
  14. ZanderMan

ZanderMan Needs monitoring

Oddometer:
    Oh good it’s not just me.
  15. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm super curious though. @spokester should try again.
  16. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

Guessing you are a KTM rider? You can't blame your friends. It is common knowledge that the KTM guy will be able to fix your bike if it goes down! :imaposer:imaposer
  17. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Ha!, I'm actually one of the Yammie guys. My friends on the KTM's have me worried though. The actual riding skills? I wouldn't see which way they went, but if the bike breaks down they just gaze at the machine with a vacant stare:scratch One has a 300 and didn't know it was injected.....[ impressive motorcycle though ]

Millennials.:photog
    Gedrog and ZanderMan like this.
  18. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Interesting that you say that, I have also done just that. I carry a 13mm socket and a set of Torx bits just in case someone else's bike gets wadded up as they do not fit anything that I ride.

To many times I have had a delayed ride as were were trying to cobble someones bike together as it needed a bolt or a specific socket/tool/Torx bit

Many years ago a broken down BMW comes to mind. We could not fix the bike but it took hours to get us back on coarse. No one had a 13mm socket to get the skid plate off and a few other things.
    ZanderMan likes this.
  19. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Moto Guzzi toolkit Adjustable wrench looks similar to this. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Part number 11.

[​IMG]
  20. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    tool_kit_james-hanna.jpg
    bwringer, Brmax and ZanderMan like this.