The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let’s not kid ourselves, we all knew what we were getting ourselves into
    Whiteeyelashes likes this.
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my riding jacket and/or chest protector as a ground cloth for tools and parts as I do work on my bike. I am not sure what you need a ground cloth for in changing a tube.

For cleaning my hands, if they are really nasty, I have plenty of gasoline in the tank to clean them up. Then follow that up with a rub in the dirt. Normally I just put my gloves back on and get back to riding. When I get to the next gas station or restaurant, I use their bathroom to tidy up.
    Honda Rider likes this.
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

I also carry a couple of insect repellent towelettes - working on a bike with mossies attacking you is no fun at all DAMHIK.
    Honda Rider and keepshoveling like this.
  4. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    One note: you don't need to carry an entire Allen wrench for your front axle. It's heavy and bulky. Look for a coupling nut with the correct OD, or just saw a chunk out of that L-wrench and carry that. You can also buy a bit socket and pull the hex out of the socket (loosen the setscrew, or use heat to soften the retaining compound). Stick the coupling nut or hex chunk into the axle and turn it with a wrench.

The coupling nut, if you can find one the correct width, is hollow. So that's my preferred solution since it shaves a few grams, and you can stick something through the center for easier storage in your tool roll.

You can find them at McMaster-Carr and some well-equipped real hardware stores in 10, 14, 17, 19, and 22mm widths, but 12mm is harder to find. You might need to resort to sawing a chunk off an L-wrench, or yoinking the bit out of a socket.
    smackyface and Nicodemus like this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are also a great first line of defense against poison ivy. There are always baby wipes in my truck for that reason. Plus I'm not a huge fan of being covered in all the shit I get into at work besides poison ivy. But whenever I must get into poison ivy, I wipe myself down several times during the day before the Tecnu scrub after work.

For weekend rides, I just stick a handful from my truck stash in a zip lock baggie and carry that in a pocket.
    Gedrog and Honda Rider like this.
  6. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Make America Great Again!

Oddometer:
    I carry one of the Motion Pro spark plug sockets that doubles as a axle tool. I think its lighter than a big bolt (used to do that) or threaded coupler and pulls double duty.

[​IMG]
    9Realms, Whiteeyelashes and raschaa like this.
  7. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Good to know they have an additional use
    Sadly the UK Jonsons site says they have discontinued their baby wipes ( business reasons )
    I will have to look for something else that is multi-purpose and biodegradable
  8. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude Wipes or Survivewear Wipes.
  9. Playsatan

Playsatan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size of axel does it fit? Hoping for 14mm.
  10. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious why you would need this for a DRZ? Mine is a SM an the axle does not thread into the fork. Just a little palm slap and it's out. Is the fork threaded on the standard forks?
  11. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Make America Great Again!

Oddometer:
    Honestly I can't remember, but I'll measure when I get home.

Edit: 19mm hex.

For the DRZ its my spark plug socket. Like you said, it's not needed as an axle tool.
    Playsatan likes this.
  12. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the current evolution of my backcountry handtool loadout. I have the hand tools split across an ATC tool roll (6.4lbs) and a Magpul Doxa pouch (1.8lbs). I keep the smaller bits in the Doxa and all of the pliers, wrenches, sockets, tire irons, etc in the ATC tool role. Overall I am very happy with the tools, but the weight is higher than I would like. These are the tools I use to work on the bike at home so I bought nicer tools, but I think I could definitely shed a few pounds going with cheaper/lighter (?) options.

FC417189-A71D-423D-A4E3-FC7EC77D3270_1_105_c.jpeg

7693CB57-97F0-4AD9-A5F2-F2FC077106A9_1_105_c.jpeg

364EC39B-355B-418E-B1AB-E563D51115A8_1_105_c.jpeg

21C93CE9-C524-429E-A950-5E259F51A988_1_105_c.jpeg
  13. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Nice setup. It looks like you might have a lot of duplicates you could take out. Do you need all of the bit sizes on that Kobalt bit set? Do you need both the torx bits and the Husky set, or could you do one or the other? You also have a few 3/8 drive torx bits. Could you replace those with a 3/8 bits holder and use the bits you have in the Daka case instead? Could you switch from 3/8 drive to 1/4 drive for your ratchet and sockets? These are the kind of thoughts that I went through as I was shrinking down my tool kit.

And of course, ditch the adjustable wrench and replace it with a Knipex, or you will be shunned from the thread! :lol3

PS: I don't own any Knipex goods (yet) :shog
    :hide
    Mad Matt and Whiteeyelashes like this.
  14. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah we've all been deprogrammed and reprogrammed. Knipex is once again a plumbers tool as it was intended.
    9Realms, draco_1967 and ZoomerP like this.
  15. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed lose all the dublicates and no need for whole screwdrivers if you already have those bits. Should be able to lose some good pounds with just that.
  16. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    General comment: that is a dilemma -- to keep a set of tool bits/sockets together because OCD or something; or to break the set apart. I used to keep sets together for two reasons: fear of misplacing the items removed and empty slots in holders. :lol2 Now I make custom bit/socket holders -- often nothing more than a bit of plastic tubing cut exactly to the size needed to hold bits or sockets with end caps or tape to keep them in place. The exact size part has the benefit of letting me know at a glance that I haven't left a a tool on the ground.

I was happy to see that KTM did this for me with the sockets and bits that came with my bike.
  17. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    County Comm has titanium adjustable wrenches now...
    SmittyBlackstone and ZanderMan like this.
  18. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every time I go to that site I spend money….
    Whiteeyelashes likes this.
  19. greenramp

greenramp Airborne

Oddometer:
    GREAT, didn't even know about County Comm now my basket says I owe like $489 *$#^$*!
  20. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    OK Toolkit Thread Brain Trust, I need some help with my tool kit. Here is the current kit (not including tire repair/pump).

My kit is pretty simple, and I have removed a lot of items to bring the size and weight down. I can remove most fasteners on my bike still, but I don't have what I need for chain adjustments on the road. Most long trips I do are under 5k miles, so needing an adjustment is really rare. I can think of ONE instance where the ability to remove the wheel saved my bacon (removed bent front rotor to limp home).

I have a Tracer 900 for the road and a Ninja 650R converted to "adventure duty" (forest service roads, jeep trails, BDR type stuff), and no tubes. The Tracer uses a 27mm nut on the rear, and a 14mm hex/allen on the front. The Dirt Ninja is a 24mm nut/22mm axle front, and 27mm/22mm axle on the rear.

I suppose I may have to change a tire on the road someday, so I've considered the Motion Pro lever/wrench combo things. I have also considered the Cruz Tools axle wrenches. The only problem is, the Tracer rear axle nut is inaccessible by either of these wrench options. The swingarm bulges out, so only a socket can really get in there.

I used to carry a HF extendable 1/2" drive ratchet for axle duty, but it is big and heavy. Add in the 27mm socket, 24mm, and 14mm allen and that is a significant increase in size/weight.

So, is it worth carrying a ratchet and large sockets for the rare occasion where I might need to remove a wheel or adjust the chain on either bike? Or maybe have the tools in a separate bag for those really long trips?

TIA

(edited to correct axle nut/bolt sizes)