The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Excellent observation, RedHawk, and a major chink in my armor. I just forgot to list it...duh!

There's no question about this one - I buy them at WalMart in 4 or 8 packs and put them on both wheels of every bike in the garage.
  2. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    I ride a Gas Gas 300EC and find that I can carry a spare throttle cable just zip tied to the original...where it ends at the throttle body I just duct tape it closed after bending the cable in a small loop back on itself...so if the cable snaps I just reconnect the new one,without the need to take of fuel tank or radiator scoops etc. I know this might be difficult to do with a 4 banger as they normally have 2 cables???....

Hilsalmmer you opened up for suggestions also...I noticed that you don`t seem to carry a small assortment of fasteners in one of those small tins,as I do.(in a small tin also!!!)

I was on a ride out with a company in Malaga,Spain this summer (www.redtread.com) and we found that one of their Honda footpegs just loosened off. I was the only one there who had a small assortment of normal sized fasteners/self tappers and was able to provide them with a bolt so we could be on our way. No great weight involved.Like you if I had a beer for every time I `d produced a normal fastener for lost seatbolts,rear brake master cylinders etc or a split link for some one I`d be very happy. On that note I normally clip a split link to my throttle cable above the front light assembly,and with the clip,I paint it with tipex just in case,when being used it flicks off onto the ground where it`ll be easier to see.

Again I`ll use an old tie down in my back pack for lifting the moto up inclines after dropoffs as I too utilise steep mountain single track trails and they`ll also come in handy for the `stuck in a mud bog` where it`ll take 2 or 3 riders to pull a moto out.

Its surprising the amount of riders who appear with nothing and have faith in their moto,which normally does work,but its their riding that breaks stuff!!!...and they`ll always turn to me to ask for stuff first before anyone else...but I don`t mind at all.

Another thing we do here is after a break in the riding we get someone else to spend a minute or two just looking over our moto whilst putting on helmets and gloves to see if they see anything different than normal....last time we did this someone spotted loose sprocket bolts on a Husky that the rider was immuned to see!!!

This method might work well when doing your long distance rides.

Having said that your type of riding seems to be longer in `the middle of nowhere rides` as such compared to mine.In my instance I would`nt need the same medical stuff as you,though the eye drops will be included in mine as I had never them before.Finally,although I carry a couple of chain links I`d never thought of needing 2 split links...d`oh!!!!!....You`re never too old to learn eh??...

PS As another point if you ran moose in your tyres this would eliminate the need for patch kits thus the extra weight of Co2 etc and space taken up with same?

:D
  3. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True enough. But when the girl on your ride gets a flat?

:killen
    roddylee likes this.
  4. Hotfoot777

Hotfoot777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tools and such

Attached Files:

5. Hotfoot777

Oddometer:
    pic

Attached Files:

6. Hotfoot777

Oddometer:
    i fit it all in a pelican 1400 and tool tubes

Attached Files:

7. Hotfoot777

Oddometer:
    tubes and quick jack, 30ft tow rope in top tube

Attached Files:

StanBo likes this.
  8. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nine pliers? Is that a fetish or something I don't want to know about?
  9. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    I count 10.:huh
  10. Hotfoot777

Oddometer:
    did you count the 3 multitool pliers and hemostats?
  11. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    What kind of tool tubes are those? Standard plumbing tubes? I like the large square ends on em, Are they part of the end cap or bolted\glued on? I have a decent idea on how to lock the tubes but no good way of locking the tube to the bike itself. I'll have to come back to this thread with some pics of my tool kit which is surprisingly similar to the ops tool kit, save for his pharmaceutical collection.
  12. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that is PVC painted black. One end has a cap the other a clean-out. I use a clean-out on both ends of mine. Unless you ride a KLR they will make fun of you if you use these.
    slime likes this.
  13. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    I think maybe you just named my tool kit..."special ops"..."ops"...thanks!
  14. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :bow :bow :bow

hilslamer:

Kudos to your well-researched and detailed thread. I've read this about five times now. I see more that I missed first few times around - sign of a well-written article since you pack so much information in with a minimum of words.

I've been refining my pack - now that I've got a dualsport, I'm making up a kit for it. No need to carry a tool pack back and forth between rides, I'd rather make up a bike-specific, on-the-bike toolkit. None of the tools you have outlined is all that expensive - maybe the SOG leatherman's the most expensive one there.

The discussion's been useful as well, so thanks all you tweaky FF's for doing the heavy lifting for me. Now I just take what I like and leave the rest. :thumb

:ricky
  15. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    mylar coffee bladder intrigued me. so i collected a couple for experimentation. great fun. my observations:

-material seems to be tough enough.
    -shiney reflective surface might be good for signaling.
    -make sure that its marked durably if you are using more than one. one ought not to fill the fuel bladder with water if that can be prevented.

my tests were done with water:
    -the cap doesnt seal reliably/easily. be carefull. when it works, it seems ok and doesnt loosen inadvertantly. getting the cap to seal in the first place is the problematic part. double check is best.
    -filling the bladder to capacity creates problems. removing the cap on a full bladder will have fluid pouring/spilling nearly instaneously.
    -experiments with water showed that controlling a fluid pour could be problematic. thus, practice with water is a very good idea before using one containing fuel.

bladder capacity was about 54 fluid ounces. because it is a bladder, it can be filled just enough to fit the desired space.

having some sort of fluid container seems like a very good idea. i will pack one for trips for awhile to see if there is a need.

on another note: i usually dont name/label my kit. "special ops" amused me. i have refered to my kit as 'bag o' tricks' and as my 'bag of possibles' abreviated to "possibles". i think that i will use a marker and label my tool roll, "special oops".
  16. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread. Lots of good ideas to make my toolkit better.

I like the idea of carrying a tow strap. I use CycoActive Tow Downs. They can be used to tow or to tie a bike down in a pickup when no regular tie downs are availble. They work great I've used them both ways.
  17. Hotfoot777

Oddometer:
  18. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

+1 for the tow-downs. I used them this summer to tow an XR up a very nasty hill. Saved a lot of hiking.
  19. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
  20. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Any idea what is the weight of your tool tubes and pelican with all the stuff you carry?