The trail of smiles, Thailand on a CRF 250 Rally.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hookeniggy, Oct 6, 2019.

1. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    I had never been to an Asian country before, on my way to Australia I spent a few days in Thailand, but this was so totally different from what I had heard, so I decided to go back, just calm and friendly people everywhere, even people following me with money, if I had lost it, people doing so their best to speak English, farmers with machettis handing me fruit, ok the heat is hot, the riding on main highways more than dangerous, I would assume, but this beauty and diversity is something I had not experienced before, ok my first shot at doing a ride report. 1.jpg
  2. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Since I do not know to much about this country, neither do I know the best places to visit, but live starts as for most probably on this, that was roughly 8 months ago. 3.jpg
    Ginger Beard and td63 like this.
  3. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    About 10 miles from the Miyanmar border, and I am fascinated, even on a scooter, and i'm thinking I want more.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    So yeah, right, me on my moped, just riding there, this is like Moose, not looking for one, i'm thinking wtf 4.jpg
    Ginger Beard, td63 and Smidty like this.
  5. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    So after a month of exploring the Hua Hin area on a scooter,up to 350 km's per day, enjoying the beauty of the mountains, beaches and eating the most delicious food for penny's, getting aquinted a bit with the rules of driving...….

After coming back to Europe, a bit recovering from all this beauty, I get a call from Dora:;

Khun Gary bring me the bike.....silence, what?....Khun Gary bring me the moto bike...the big bike, the Honda, what Honda? I don't know.
    Ok
  6. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    a minute later i'm receiving this picture on my phone , i'm thinking, ok wow 5.jpg
    td63, Ginger Beard and young1 like this.
  7. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Funny coincidence I am having supper with friends in a Thai restaurant, when I get the picture on my cell phone. 6.jpg
  8. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    But not the same, this the real deal, to me. 7.jpg
  9. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    An they love advrider there:lol3 8.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  10. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    But the inevitable happens, before I can find a real bike, an Africa twin or something to ride Thailand, Malasyia, just the whole region for a few months, or more, I get robbed the day before new years eve..

At a tourist trap just a few miles from the Myanmar border, and I hate touristy places... buizzy day, many cops, many tourist, we arrive there around noon, way too late for my feeling , I just dropped my backpack for a split minute, when my buddies wife kinda screams at me where is your backpack?
    I 'm thinking huh, what do you mean, so look next to me, and it is not there, so I ask the park rangers if there is monkeys at the site.
    No monkeys here.

So I walk across the street to my buddy, and wife, confused, kinda, my backpack here, no we don't have it, where is? it?
    Now i'm trying to think at 120 miles per hour, what happened, a bit of panic starts to strike at me.

Now the park rangers walk over, have your backpack? no, I don't.
    They offer me to drive back to the park entrance with them, to ask if people have dropped it with security there.
    So I ask my buddy and wife, gonna come? they don't feel like it, so I ask again please come, they refuse.
    I have no money, no cell phone, no drivers licence no water no nothing on me.

So I head back with the rangers to the park entrance, and nothing, by this time it is around two pm, and its hot, and people already leaving the park, so then the rangers offer me to search vehicles at the gate, so every vehicle is stopped and searched, this goes on for around 10 minutes, and I ask them if they can drive me back to my scooter and friends, i'm thirsty, starting to get a bit hungry, and it is about a 4 hour ride back to the hotel, clouds are forming, which indicates rain, with all my gear in my backpack I would say its a good idea to start heading back.
    The rangers take me back to where my friend and wife and our vehicles are, when we arrive they are gone.
  11. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    About 40 minutes or so ago my brain was trying to think at a 120 miles per hour, now probably 160, light panic forms.
    And i'm thinking what to do, my wallet with cash, id, cc card, cell phone, with security codes to my bank account, my rain gear gone, it all was in my backpack.
    I check the fuel of my bike, not much, probably enough for one hour of riding, i'm stranded four hours from society with nothing.
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your situation, basic security - no two primary bits of personal info in the same place besides your person.
    use only copies of ID that you laminate , use a throw away wallet for everyday situations with a DAYS money only.
    split your money up at various places- shoes etc .
    td63 likes this.
  13. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that moment in adventure travel when your bowels turn to water and you're on the edge of panic. Here's where we separate the men from the boys. Hang tough brother!
    td63 likes this.
  14. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    DavidM1 likes this.
  15. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I've learned my lesson now also to rely on my personal instinct.
    yokesman likes this.
  16. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Appreciate that brother, some really good stuff happened afterwards.
  17. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    So just when I was about to give up hope, I went with the parkrangers in a pickup truck back to the entrance, I saw two Germans on KLR's , I knew these two guys would be my guardian angels, and was also a bit challenged by explaining my situation with only a helmet in my hand.
    It must have been 5pm by now, the rangers assisted in trying to find my buddie and wife, we had been climbing rocks, going through rivers, waterfalls no trace.

The two Germans were overwhelming!!

your friends left you here? what? are you kidding me?
    kindness I have not experienced for a long time, we are also staying in a hotel in Tekiab, so come and ride back with us, and we'll get a good meal, and drink beer together my friend, and get you fueled up again. we'll give you 20.000 baht to get you through the week man.
    Damn this was nice, music to my ears...good folks

Then two park rangers come running to me, friend friend

Happy emotional smiles on their faces, friend friend, what? come come your friend.
    Not sure...If I should be happy or not.
    The two German fellars reached out more than a kind helpful hand.
    I am at a crossroads, go with the rangers,or my German guardian angels kinda.

The last option felt like the best to my instincts, I am at an uneasy crossroads now.
    And again doing what doesn't feel right, exactly like how this day started
    td63 likes this.
  18. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    And yes, i normally do carry the cash i need for the day in my pocket, only a copy of my drivers license, leave early, have the important things seperated from the rest, the Thai lady from the hotel warned me, don't go, not today, i had been waiting for hours, and we had left to late.

And now i am thinking back about 7 years in time or so, my friend i traveled with, we go back a long time, but this is the second time he pulls a Larry on me, this must have been 7 years ago by now, and i had long forgotten this, in Moncton NB, we were on our way to Halifax, to have my bike shipped back to Europe, but my bike was running bad, fouling plugs, and i had to make it to Halifax that same night, i had my appointment that afternoon, before 5pm, and my flight back to Europe the next night.
    Buddy was gonna run along, and wanted to get some parts at the KTM shop on the way, this took long, after i gave him al the advice about what to get we pull out, hey man you're gonna be allright, right? it is kinda far on my bike.

Come on!! if the bike breaks in between Amherst and Truro i'm not gonna make it.

I was fortunate i made it, at 16:30 pm deadline was 17:00 hrs, i came riding into the port running on one cylinder, even lost my skidplate going through the gate, i gave it to one of the guys from the port, to keep it as a souvenir.
  19. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Some scenery i had been able to retrieve. IMG_20190313_155409.jpg
  20. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    This is pretty close to the park which borders to Mayanmar, some 5 miles after this the road stops. IMG_20190313_153545.jpg
    Smidty likes this.