The trail of smiles, Thailand on a CRF 250 Rally.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hookeniggy, Oct 6, 2019.

1. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Over these mountains is Mayanmar. IMG_20190313_153153.jpg
  2. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Riding alongside the railroad track that goes all the way from Bangkok to Singapore or so, i kinda like this, lovely scenery, and a lot faster and safer than sticking to the main highway, and cooler too, no reflection from hot tarmac, west of Bangkok this track forks into Mayanmar, or Burma, later i find out my grandfamily have worked on this railroad, about 200 miles north from here as pow's, stuff i eagerly wanna find out. CRF 1.jpg
    Traxx, Cro59, yokesman and 1 other person like this.
  3. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for likes.

This is the view from the saddle, i just love riding the country side dirt roads, the railroad was an excellent landmark to navigate on, and just ask farmers which way to go, what i really enjoyed how friendly people were, sometimes crossing on their land and through their ricefields, people would just wave, like awesome, my Thai of course is limitid, and if asking for directions i would just point in one way, or name the next city . crf21.jpg
    td63 and Smidty like this.
  4. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    In a way i Find Thailand a bit like France, they have an excellent highway system, but next to that many unpaved roads, to choose from, with friendly farmers or locals that wave, and ready to to have some smaltalk if you pull over.
    td63 and yokesman like this.
  5. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    This is the coolest thing i've ever seen, i call it Thai massage for bikes the BIG, little Honda just lovin it. 1.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      618.8 KB
      Views:
    td63, Ginger Beard and DavidM1 like this.
  6. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I must have counted at leats 4 to 6, just washing and soaping up the bike together, kids i thinkā€¦. as anyone under 40 looks like a teenager here, this is like pretty neat to see, you get a bottle of water, bike comes in covered in mud, going out like a detailed show bike looking better than brandnew 2.jpg

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      328.2 KB
      Views:
  7. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Awesome catchup moment with my buddy Austin, teaching him how to ride dirtbike, it didn't take much. 4.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  8. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    And lovely Thai gf, its funny how you meet the most wonderful people while traveling, Austin had been now for a year and a half or so, flew back home for a month, and came back as fast as he could, he was tired of the travel bug, and then decided he wasn't, like me. 5.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  9. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I hate sticking to a program, because if you do, nothing happens, i find, so after a day of riding, lots of laughs, the casual smoke stop to soak up the landscape, we wind up in some restaurant, meeting expats and Thai, having the most delicious meal for peanuts, with great company, no politic talk and no plans, just soaking up the atmosphere with no rush. 6.jpg
    td63 and Smidty like this.
  10. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    And no religion too:jack
    td63 likes this.
  11. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    So a few months back the plan was to make that round through Thailand, that was the program....
    unfortunately i had to give up my plan for a few months, take a flight back to Europe, so did Austin who had to take a flight back to WA state.
    Pretty funny when i came back to continue my ride, he had come back 2 weeks before me...
    I had no idea, neither did he, we had lost contact and thought we'd not gonna see each other again, so first thing we did after i got my bike, next day we went for a ride, to the best place we thought, was the most relaxing one we had seen so far of Thailand. IMG_20191101_114501.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    So we stuck to hour plan, for a change, found back the coolest beach hang out i have ever seen, and kicked back and relax, fortunately Austin did not give up smoking, like me, i guess we do not believe in dying healthy, and went through how the last couple months had been, away from Thailand. IMG_20191103_155139.jpg
    Shin1ichi2002, td63 and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I'm taking pictures, while Austin's gf 's getting the banana shakes. IMG_20191103_155127.jpg
  14. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    So the destination to head for next week is gonna be Kanchanaburi, this is the city from where the Burma railroad track was built by prisoners of war during the second world war, i have a special reason to go there, more about that later, but first this weekend will be the Isan part of Thailand.
    Some 80 clicks north of Buriram.
    The young lady that had helped me when my backpack was stolen wants to show me the authentic part of Thailand and here home town with about 25 inhabitants, and a few cows, they have a special yearly celebration from their temple, and i am excited and very hounered to be invited , she explained to me the people hardly see foreigners and still live according to the ancient Thai budist culture.
  15. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    In the meantime we're doing some local exploring, and getting the bikes ready with softbags and a proper Garmin GPS. IMG_20191103_164450.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  16. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    And we're spending a little time at a local gym, i feel lazy after some European months, and i guess we wanna be ready in case we drop our bikes:lol3 IMG_20191105_123230.jpg
    forgorin and yokesman like this.
  17. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming!
  18. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, i will, just came back from Hellfire Pass and rode part of the Burma death railway, we found sites where Jap Camps had been during the second worldwar, I'll tell you that part of the jungle gave me the creeps, its quiet.
    Smidty likes this.
  19. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Having a laundry day and lots of footage, will post asap.
  20. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    This was our destination for this weekend, a museum and research center about the infamous Burma death railway and river Kwai bridge, we had left Hua Hin early that friday morning, to take the most scenic route to Kanchanaburi, and do as much gravel as we could find, that saturday morning i had an appointment with the general manager who had done some 106.000 investigations about pow's and backtracking their families from all over the world, i had heard rumours about family members that were captured and had been taken here to work on the tracks during the second worldwar, and was a bit qurious about this, to find out what had happened some 75 years back. import point 26-11 372.jpg