The Trans-Lab is Overdone. We want to Ride the Rock.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Oct 7, 2012.

1. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time I look at the ferry site the availability changes. Perhaps a pseudo conference call with them could help? If we're still going to NFL we'll need to coordinate to prevent stranding.

Tim, I know you were looking for 10 days on the island but would 7 or 8 be ok?
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    If that's going to make the trip fly, I'd be good with it.

3. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time to grease up those trailer wheel bearings? Looks like you guys are going to make this ride happen!
  4. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of you could go 2-up :D
  5. Canuman

Oddometer:
    8GV spent all afternoon attempting to contact Marine Atlantic. No go. It currently shows all bookings full again.
  6. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/08/05/f-snake-python-sales-ownership-risks.html

Python killing of 2 New Brunswick boys baffles experts
    Autopsies today after killings of Campbellton boys during sleepover in apartment over pet store
    By Steve Morales, CBC News Posted: Aug 6, 2013 5:11 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 6, 2013 1:50 PM ET
    New Brunswick boys killed in reported python attack
    Python killing of 2 boys comes after pet-store petition filed
    Snake kills 2 N.B. boys after escaping store, RCMP say
    More exotic pets OK for import to N.B.
    Canada's biggest snakes are under surveillance
    Snakes found in Toronto toilet, wall
    Reptile experts are baffled by a python attack in an apartment in New Brunswick that left two young boys dead, with autopsies scheduled for today that hope to shed light into the incident that has led to cautions about exotic pets.

Noah Barthe, 5, and Connor Barthe, 7, were killed by the large African rock python while visiting an apartment upstairs from Reptile Ocean in Campbellton on Monday morning, RCMP say.

Steven Benteau, a spokesman for the Department of Natural Resources, told CBC News on Tuesday that African rock pythons are not permitted under the province's Exotic Wildlife Regulation.

A criminal investigation has been launched.

Get the latest updates on the reported python attack in New Brunswick
    In the meantime, the shocking attack has baffled even snake experts.

"It’s strange, I’m just trying to piece it together,” says Lee Parker, the facilities manager at Ontario reptile zoo Reptilia. “They don't go on killing sprees … it doesn't make sense to me."

Jeff Reynolds, manager at the Reptile Store in Hamilton, says: "The [African rock python] is not overly aggressive, not any more aggressive than your larger-type snake. I find it very bizarre that it would attack two [kids]."

Such deadly attacks aren’t unheard of, but are rare.

The last attack on a human by an African rock python was in 2002, when it killed and swallowed a 10-year-old boy in Durban, South Africa. Three years earlier, a smaller rock python killed a three-year-old boy after escaping its enclosure in Centralia, Ill.

The species is the largest in Africa, sometimes growing as long as six metres.

RCMP said the Campbellton python measures between 3.5 and 4.5 metres, and weighs approximately 45 kg. Officials have the snake in their possession.

Laws regulating the types and sizes of snakes allowed as pets vary across Canada, changing from one community to the next.

Parker points to Guelph, Ont., which allows non-venomous snakes up to three metres long, but nearby Richmond Hill prohibits any pythons or boa constrictors.

But even if your municipality allows them, Parker advises against buying these exotic pets.

"We don't recommend people keep large snakes as pets because of the potential threats," he says. "Burmese pythons, anacondas, boa constrictors … these are dangerous pets."

Snake safety
    Parker says some customers looking to buy snakes clearly don’t know what they’re getting into.

"I’ve turned people away," he says. "Parents come in and they just want to buy a snake to shut their kid up. I say, 'What if he loses interest, stops feeding it, will you take over?' and they say, 'No, we just want to keep him quiet.'

RCMP said the Campbellton python measures between 3.5 and 4.5 metres, and weighs approximately 45 kg. (iStock)
    "Other people say they want one because it’s cool," he says. "They shouldn’t be buying a snake. And they can probably get one somewhere else, but I won’t sell to them."

Unprepared owners sometimes create an ecological threat, as pet snakes are released into the wild and an unprepared ecosystem. The problem has recently arisen in the Florida Everglades, where the African rock python has established itself as an invasive species with no natural predators.

Parker wants more owners to do their homework. "Definitely make sure you know what type, how big it's going to get," he cautions. "You always have to make sure you know what that animal's capabilities are, how strong it is."

He warns that many people underestimate snakes and the threat they can pose. Some owners tell him their snakes will sometimes lie down alongside them and he warns it’s not for companionship; the snake is sizing up a potential victim.

The most vital aspect of snake safety: Don’t feed or handle one alone.

Parker says a boa constrictor or python can quickly surprise its handler and knock them out with a squeeze around the head or neck, cutting off air and blood flow. Children are even more vulnerable, he warns, and shouldn’t be left alone with a snake under any circumstances.

Proper enclosures are crucial as well. Snakes are strong and wily, accustomed to creeping into small spaces, so a simple plastic container or box isn't sufficient, Parker says.

It's still not known how the Campbellton python escaped the store.

No charges have been laid as RCMP handle the criminal investigation.
  7. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving the python at home, don't worry.
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I've got an Asp in this box.
  9. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    I will scare you guys but my python is traveling with me! I am still young to leave it at home. Any predictions on where we gonna go? Any trail we can see now on the maps?
  10. Canuman

Oddometer:
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Maybe the Applicant would squire us around NB. I insist on a stop at St. Martin's as they have the best fish chowder I've ever tasted there, and that's no joke. I'm a little nervous writing routes up there, as it can be long miles between fuel if you mess up. Hell, the last time I was up there, it was on pavement and we had a fuel crisis. Hydro was out, and no one could get the juice out of the ground. It was fortuitous, as we'd never have discovered the world-famous chowder without the resulting detour.
  12. applicant_255

applicant_255 Misshapen Shaved Ape

Oddometer:
    I see a way over on the 19th and a way back on the 1st - that puts me back home Sunday evening.

Sydney->Port Aux Basques
    Wed 14/08/2013 08:30 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Wed 14/08/2013 19:00 MV Atlantic Vision Sold Out Sold Out
    Thu 15/08/2013 05:00 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Thu 15/08/2013 23:45 MV Atlantic Vision Sold Out Sold Out
    Fri 16/08/2013 11:45 MV Highlanders Available Available

Mon 19/08/2013 11:45 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Mon 19/08/2013 23:45 MV Atlantic Vision Sold Out Sold Out
    Tue 20/08/2013 11:45 MV Highlanders Available Available

Port Aux Basques -> Sydney
    Sun 01/09/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
    Sun 01/09/2013 23:45 MV Highlanders Available Available

So I'm good to book that, if we're going.

If not, I don't have much in the way of actual gpx tracks for the area. I do have PDFs of the snowmobile trails and some local ATV trails. Most of the area around Saint John is built up, I generally am going 20 minutes out of town to the east before I can even find gravel, and I'm starting on the east side. That said, once you start to get east of Saint John, there are a lot of trails leading at least up to Moncton in one way or another, although I've ran low on gas before trying to find my way through it all. Generally I end up past Sussex.

Have a look at regions 5 and 6 here for ATV trails along the coast:

http://nbatving.com/data/1028-region_6_webb_site.pdf
    http://nbatving.com/data/1027-region_5_webb_site.pdf

Region 7 might be able to get you further on gravel from what I've heard, but I can't confirm or deny any of that.

http://nbatving.com/data/1029-region_7_webb_site.pdf
  13. applicant_255

Oddometer:
    Checking online again today everything is wide open right now for ferry across from the 14th and 19th, as are bookings going back from the 30th to the 1st.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I have to be on the return ferry by the 25th or 26th at the latest.

15. applicant_255

Oddometer:
    It's all wide open at this point, on the site anyway.

Departure list (Port aux Basques-North Sydney)
    Weekday dd/mm/yyyy Dep. Time Vessel Passenger Status Vehicle Status
    Fri 23/08/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
    Fri 23/08/2013 23:45 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Sat 24/08/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
    Sat 24/08/2013 23:45 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Sun 25/08/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
    Sun 25/08/2013 23:45 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Mon 26/08/2013 06:15 MV Atlantic Vision Available Available
    Mon 26/08/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
    Mon 26/08/2013 23:45 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Tue 27/08/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
    Tue 27/08/2013 23:45 MV Highlanders Available Available
    Wed 28/08/2013 11:45 MV Blue Puttees Available Available
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory or something like that? Reservations made for three of us on the 18th, for return the 26th. A few days shorter than planned, but we will ride the Rock!
  17. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rejoice one and all!

It's raining clams!!!!
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    It's a credit to Marine Atlantic that the reservations gals are so pleasant. The company may have its flaws, but when I was finally able to get through, the staff was more than pleasant, although they must have been put through Hell in the past few weeks.
  19. zanoza

zanoza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you made it work!
    Looking forward to the ride report :clap
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We ain't there yet, but chances have certainly improved.