The Travels of Seastone

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Haffissx, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Haffissx

Haffissx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Travels of Seastone
    [​IMG]

So the time has finally come, an adventure that has been a dream for over 2 years, in the making and saving up for a year. It all started with the massive passion for motocross over 5 years ago which then evolved into a passion for cars and motorcycles, this new found passion made me want to become a car mechanic.
    It turned out it wasn't as fun as I thought and now after working for 3 years at a great shop I decided to quit my job and go for engineering but not before traveling the world on my bike. So the idea grew stronger and stronger until I finally decided to start saving up for it and booked my trip on smyril line for the 3rd of may.

Feels like I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should, seeing as many people on here travel for many years on end, but too me this is quite out of my comfort zone but not as much as for many. I have always been quite good at being alone and I am doing this trip alone and it's because I have only ever had a few very good friends. I'm very open too meeting new people, seeing new things, beautiful landscapes (that aren't crowded :p) and new experiences as is the reason for doing this, and also the reason is too look where I possibly want to live in the future as iceland does not interest me much anymore.

The first draft of this trip was quite awful to me and many fellow inmates, so it has changed quite a bit since it's first sketch and I am glad for that and thankful to my fellow inmates who helped me make this trip more enjoyable.
    Draft looks something like this now
    [​IMG]
    Having traveled around Iceland quite a bit I feel that I have prepped myself and the bike rigorously and I am very satisfied with the result. I will start this thread talking about my other travels, the ring road trip and my very well prepped Motorcycle!
    [​IMG]
    Anyone interested in following me along my trip or meeting me along the way is more than welcome and I hope this will be a nice ride report for my friends and family to follow. I have a spot tracker as well so that you can see my exact location on my travel http://tinyurl.com/SeastoneSpotTracker
  2. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    So today was the last day of work at the honda dealership here in iceland, showed everyone the bike and told them about my travels and they were all so surprised I was going alone! haha
    I then said my good byes to all my fellow coworkers.
    [​IMG]
    I then also had my favorite icelandic rappers autograph my bike which was amazing, can't wait to listen to their new album.
    [​IMG][/url]

Now with 5 days to go I am so happy that it's finally happening, I was very nervous the past few days but I have since calmed down as it gets closer.
    This is what's the inside of the bag looks like, Have gone through a couple of versions of the bag setup and I found just having one big one was the best. Have also gone through my stuff a couple of times downsizing everything a little bit everytime and feel like iv'e got rid of everything I don't really need.
    [​IMG]
  3. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Speaking of travel, the ring road trip june of last year was not very eventful but a great experience and lot's of beautiful landscapes!
    I did meet Maria and Christoph who are German and were staying at the camp in akureyri and i'm going to be seeing them again on this trip.
    However the trip did start with a fall on the first day, which left me with a bent gear lever. Got that fixed for a couple of bucks in the next town :)
    [​IMG]
    Funn story about this little house, I actually stayed there a long time ago. I decided to bring my fishing pole and fish on the end of that stone garden. What ended up happening is that I threw the line so hard I hit my face as well and knocked my glasses into the water!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rrrnnn, arghhh, Bugzy and 5 others like this.
  4. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    A week ago I decided to try out the bike with the bag on the back and go on some nice trails (which I didn't get far because it was covered in snow).
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly it wasn't as hard as I thought as I got used to it pretty fast even though the trail had quite the steep hill climb and water crossing which was so much fun!
    [​IMG]
    The weather was quite funny, it was not too cold or sunny until I got there, but when I started heading back the sun came up! Then came a hell of a lot of snow! If you ever come to Iceland don't be surprised by this because this is actually very normal xD
    [​IMG]
  5. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 1, May 1st

The trip officially starts and it goes off spectacularly badly. The day begins with me going to the group ride that is every year here in Reykjavík to raise awareness that motorcycles are on the roads especially now. It's pouring down rain so barely anyone shows up and those that came left as soon as they got there (including me). Nonetheless I met up with my friend who I met at the same group ride last year and he is planning something similar to me in August to September. So we play some catch up and plan to meet in Germany on the last leg of my trip and the first of his.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the real fun starts, so I had planned to borrow a bike trailer from my friend and have my father drive me to Selfoss today and then Egilsstaðir the next. But of course nothing goes to plan, the trailer got flat tire as soon as we left the city and I also broke my blinker whilst strapping the bike down. So I decide to just ride to Selfoss 16m winds and pouring rain while he returns the trailer and meets me in Selfoss. Have to say it was a horrendous ride but I have ridden in worse and I made it back in one piece.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 2, May 2nd

The day begins with oatmeal and toast made by my grandma which was delicious. Then I get to borrow her car(takk amma) and start looking for a new trailer. I go all over town to find the perfect one, they're all awful for transporting bikes but I settle for renting the only one with hooks for straps... Then the journey to Egilsstaðir starts and it was quite adventurous, the weather was awful the entire way. Pouring down rain pretty much the entire way(sun came out once) and 20-30m winds. Bike seems to be strapped alright to the trailer but still goes all over the place (cause of all the unpaved roads and massive winds), it got to Egilsstaðir in one piece despite that (except for the blinker). Now I'm sitting here in my hotel enjoying a beer and getting excited for the ferry tomorrow !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    KLRalph, fasttortoise, Don T and 2 others like this.
  6. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 3, May 3rd

It was a beautiful day in Egilsstaðir, 15 degrees and hardly any wind. I started by going over to Seyðisfjörður pretty much as soon as I left the hotel. The road over to Seyðisfjörður is so beautiful, winding roads and the good weather made it so enjoyable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recently I have started to use couch surfing hang outs and about 2 weeks earlier I met Carlos and we decided to grab some beers and talked a bit, we found out we were going on the ferry the same day! When I was in Seyðisfjörður he contacted me and told me he was still in Egilsstaðir so I decide to head back over there cause I remembered I had forgotten to buy beer for the ship (cause there isnt much else to do there). So I grab beer and see him in Seyðisfjörður were we que for the ferry way to early.
    [​IMG]
    Me and Carlos way to early:
    [​IMG]

Later that night on the ferry we met some amazing people from the Faroe Islands which lead to a lot of talking and even later that night a lot of drinking, dancing and singing! They were so friendly and nice, gave us Föroya bjór and eldvatn vodka. I ended up getting so drunk I pretty much passed out at around 2 and puked as well :( but I always remember the night and I have to say I haven't had this much fun drinking in a long time!
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Aces 6, Don T and fasttortoise like this.
  7. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 4, May 4th

I was not in good shape that morning, I puked again and tried to get the day going. I was pretty much just waiting for lunch to come around and when it finally came I could barely eat.
    I did meet the people from last night at lunch and I talked about the fact I had a few hours in Faroe Islands. They told me they lived in a town only an hours drive from Torshavn, a small town called Leirvik and since I had a couple hours in here in Faroe Islands they tell me I can come see them again in their home :D I accept the offer and the drive there was amazingly beautiful and the weather was very nice (which they said is rare here so I was quite lucky), I was also feeling a lot better but the drive was a bit cold.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I get there I try to find the place and with help from some locals I find it. They then proceed to invite me in and give me a very delicious meal consisting of bread and some very nice cheese, I was very hungry at that point and ate a lot. We talk and enjoy this meal for about an hour and I then had to go. Since I had such little time with them I will be coming there again for sure and see more. Thanked them for the amazing hospitality and said my good byes. Then went back aboard the ferry to head off to mainland Denmark!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazing people next to their nice house and my bike:
    [​IMG]

Leirvik from the ferry:
    [​IMG]

Me, Marita, Margit, Sámal, Tóra and Vibeka which was not in the picture but was so kind and Let me take some sandwiches for both me and Carlos to go!(thanks again!)
    [​IMG]

One last selfie from Faroe Islands:
    [​IMG]
    Don T, RevyRider and TM1(SS) like this.
  8. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 5, May 5th

Not very interesting day as it was just spent on the ferry, I did how ever through Carlos meet this nice dane Magnus who is living in Faroe Islands. We enjoyed the sunset together on the boat and some beers and then I went early to bed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fat Toney, Don T and TM1(SS) like this.
  9. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 6, May 6th

I hardly slept last night probably because I was so excited to finally be in Denmark, the place were it all starts. It was really sunny and very warm that morning when I left norræna and I have some footage of me leaving(credit to Carlos) but just before we left Magnus gave both of us a bottle of smirnoff vodka!(Thanks again Magnus!). Then we said our good byes on the car deck and hoping to see each other again.

Video of me leaving(you have to press to open it):
    [​IMG]

I then had really no clue what to do then, finally had Internet on my phone and just drove somewhere starting with 8644km on the clock. Really wanted to stay off the highways and it payed off, met some bikers from Norway who were just taking a quick stop next to some windmills and I decided to roll by. Ofcourse I told them about my travels and I found out that one of them has a husqvarna news paper of some sort and is going to write about me in it and send a copy to me!
    [​IMG]

Then I rolled by some farm and found quite an amazing view in denmark, which was hard to come by because it's so flat here. Around 3 and 200km later my butt was starting to hurt, I wanted to head for Billund but that was another half hour so I ended up taking camp close to Silkeborg(need to train for that iron butt). Very nice camp with mostly locals here on vacation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was a bit overwhelmed when I first got off the boat questioning what the hell I was doing but that soon passed into so much happiness and remembering why I'm doing this and as I'm writing this I get even more excited for tomorrow! and I can't wait to get going again.
    [​IMG]
    KLRalph, Don T, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 7, May 7th

Barely slept that night once again, this time because it got down to 4 degrees in the morning so I pretty much froze with my 10 degree bag....
    I then decided because I had barely slept to just head off for Hamburg on the highway to meet my friend Christopher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So he is generous enough to let me take a shower and wash my clothes. I then found out I had gotten here just in time for the harbour day festival. He then took my to the festival, it was a beautiful day and we ate some delicious pizza(next to the festival), then he continued to show me Hamburg it self and it is quite the gorgeous city with lot's of people.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a good decision to come here, after all he gave me a bed to sleep in and he took the time to show me around so I went to sleep and finally had a good rest.
    arghhh, KLRalph, Don T and 2 others like this.
  11. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 8, May 8th

Not a whole lot to say about this day, spent the entire day trying to look for a quadlock mount cause my current setup is something I cut out of the case for my old phone and just stuck onto my new phone case.
    [​IMG]

Never managed to find it so that was an entire day wasted, not that I really minded wasn't really in the mood to do anything anyways I was so tired. I did however take a picture with my bike next to this cool little church.
    [​IMG]
    Don T likes this.
  12. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 9, May 9th

So woke up that morning to say my good byes to Christopher and thanked him for the hospitality and taking the time to show me around. I then decided I wanted to head for the Nurgburgring, since it would take me like 2 days to get there I decided to try and get a couch to surf on in dortmund and I did find one! So I head off to dortmund and it's sunny the entire way there(nice weather seems to be following me now) but it was a bit chilly. I also decided at first to take the back roads, but soon found out it's not really very different from driving on the highway so I just went back on the highway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice place for lunch:
    [​IMG]

So in dortmund this nice guy named Oliver accepted to host me for one night on this last minute call. He got in quite late and I was in town at around 4 so I just went into town and did some sightseeeing, saw the church there in the middle of the town and some nice art. I also went to the Hardenstein castle which was quite cool.I then headed for his apartment and saw some more art there which was quite awesome to say the least.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Funny thing happened then, I had got to his apartment at around 19:15 and I waited for like 40 min for him to come home only to find out he had gotten home just 5 min before me! haha. So he texted me and asked why I didn't ring the bell, so after ringing the bell I got settled in and then we went to buy some food to make burritos. Have to say for barely knowing any of the ingredients it tasted quite good!
    So we talked through the night and he was so nice and fun to hang out with.
    [​IMG]
    Don T likes this.
  13. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 10, May 10th The Nürburgring

Oliver had to get up early for his work, while he let me sleep(thanks oliver). We then got some breakfast before I packed my stuff and got ready to go out.
    Said my good byes to Oliver and his roommate who joined us for dinner last night, but before I left of course a photo shoot with the wall of flags.
    [​IMG]

It was then time to finally go to the nurburgring! On the way I stopped in cologne because Oliver told me I had to see the cathedral, and boy he was right it has to be one of the most amazing cathedral I have ever seen! Did also see the Haven gate which was well not as spectacular as I thought, but still cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lunch this time was also quite nice here:
    [​IMG]

Then I headed for the nurburgring, and as soon as I got close I was greeted by amazing cars one after the another and a whole bunch of Bikes! It was like this all through out the day, this is like heaven for pertrol heads!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I of course have to take a lap around the nurburgring since I'm here and bought a ticket for 2 laps!

Then headed for camp nurburgring and found out there is a drift event, superbike IDM and Tanztal music festival all this weekend! So I couldn't resist and bought tickets for Tanztal and camping until sunday. I was so happy with my decision I literally couldn't stop smiling since I got there.

Decided to drive around after having settled in and saw some cars driving on the track like I'm going to do tomorrow and boy am I happy to be here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also met Serxio, running a car rental for the Nurburgring Called RSR. He was so open and happy to tell me all about the rental and show me the shop and the amazing cars they had there.
    I then found out I had to rent a car as well. So there is going to be a lot going on for me the next couple of days!
    [​IMG]

Amazing view at Adenau:
    [​IMG]
    Awesome sunset on the way back:
    [​IMG]
    arghhh, Don T and TM1(SS) like this.
  14. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 11, May 11th Driving on the Nürburgring

This day started off quite slow but ended with being one of the most spectacular day of my life!
    Started off by finishing the blogs for the past 3 days and taking a shower.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then headed off to RSR again to see Serxio again, and at that point I realised I really wanted to drive a proper car on this track instead of the bike and I do not regret that decision(cars going up to 250km/h next to a slow bike, not such a great idea). Me and Serxio then got it down that I was gonna drive the BMW M235i and went with 4 laps. There was then a simulator of the track at the RSR headquarters so I had a go in that, have to say it's a lot easier to drive Irl than in the simulator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was the safety briefing and boy did it make me nervous, I was sweating sooo much. Then as soon as that was over we went into the cars to get comfortable, I was there with 3 other guys who were driving and couple of lady's that went in a RSR taxi.
    [​IMG]

I was nervous all the way to the track, still sweating but when I started driving with Serxio as a instructor I stopped feeling nervous. After the first lap I was feeling very good about this, had 1 or 2 close calls but the lap went good. Then next up I went alone on the track for next 3 laps. My god this was so much fun, I was getting pretty confident after the 2nd lap. My 3rd lap was amazing and I loved every second of it. However after the 3rd lap I was feeling quite lightheaded so I stopped for a minute and wow my head felt weird after all those g-forces it gets to you. Took the last lap a bit slow(was still lightheaded and started raining half way around the track) but It was still amazing, just being there in the flesh on the track in an awesome car is just an amazing experience, one I will never forget. Also after driving on the track I realised it is really not smart to go on there by my bike so I have cancelled that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me and Serxio:
    [​IMG]

As I'm writing this I'm enjoying a nice Beck's pale ale and some chips and hearing the music from the neighbours(as it seems the party has already started!), still with a smile on my face and looking forward to tomorrow, I say good night.
    [​IMG]
    arghhh, Don T, roadcapDen and 4 others like this.
  15. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest of your journey.
  16. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to be hard to top the laps on the ring, but, in for the rest of your adventure!
  17. dksd39

dksd39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome adventure!! Very jealous and hope to drive the ring on day.
  18. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Thank you, glad you enjoy it!

Oh yeah it's hard topping laps on the ring, maybe laps on the ring in a even more awesome car? :) Hope you enjoy the adventure.

Thank you! and you most definitely should, one of the most amazing experiences of my life.
  19. Haffissx

Oddometer:
    Day 12, May 12th Finally some Trails

Was a slow to get going again since it was quite cold in the night once again. I had found out through Serxio yesterday that there are some trails around the nurburgring. I of course had to check them out, and what do you know there are quite a few nice trails around there(which I'm not sure I was allowed to be on, but Serxio said it was okay haha) I spent a good 2 hours just zig zaging through the forest and the trails. Finally after 12 days my bike was were it was meant to be, it was so nice, the weather was amazing and the trails although not really difficult a lot fun nonetheless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next to the nurburgring:
    [​IMG]

As soon as I got off the trails I was on some back country roads, strolled through a few quite nice small towns on the way.

I then headed back to the camp to go check out the drift practice for tomorrow's competition. As much as I don't like to watch any sort of sports on TV, I love being here watching, smelling and hearing it. Such a thrill just to sit here and watch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favourite car the Lexus is 200:
    [​IMG]

Was quite surprised to see the Icelandic flag on the track:
    [​IMG]

After that I went to a nice restaurant called Pistenklause and had some very nice spaghetti, but the cool thing about that place is that it was filled with car memorabilia.
    [​IMG]

Then came time to party and I have to say not really the biggest festival. I did meet my neighbours and they were very friendly and let me join them to go to the festival. However when I got there and all through the night there was barely anyone there, the highlight was at like 4am and even then it didn't fill the tents. Nonetheless I had a blast just dancing through the night and hanging out with my new German friends, also hoping tomorrow there will be more people.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk