The Trip Begins!? Vancouver to Houston

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Messydesk, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Messydesk

Messydesk Head First into the Deep

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    I'm trying to get to Houston, Texas from Vancouver, BC, Canada to ship my bike to Chile, and need some route planning information.

What's the best way to get down there and avoid Snow at this time of the year?:ear

I'm checking the Tent Space board as well, but if anybody has a place to stay along the way I'd be more that happy to bring the beer/wine/coffee.:freaky

Thanks!
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mapsource shows 300 miles longer to drop down thru California and take southern route. Probably best weather bet.

I know a guy from Olympia, Wa. who is driving an empty truck towing a carhauler trailer to Sacramento/San Francisco this Friday the 23th. Maybe you could get a lift this far?

Check your PM's and call me if your interested.

I also have place to stay.
  3. Messydesk

Oddometer:
    :bowWOW, Thanks, that's awesome... The chance to stay a little drier and to save a little wear and tear on the bike before South America would be amazing. I'm not counting my eggs yet (or chickens), but I'll give you a ring tommorow!
  4. midlman

midlman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep.that would be me...heading down to meet with Doug on Friday..leaving early from Oly. You are welcome to stop by and hitch a ride. pm me and we'll go from there..

Later,
    Tom
  5. holckster

Oddometer:

That is great Tom. :clap
    PM'd you his phone number.
    This is what is so great about this site and the people on it. :freaky

When we are able to help someone I am positive you get extra credit where it counts.
  6. Messydesk

Oddometer:
    Well if this works out I AM STOKED to have a route that involves way less snow than before.:wings
  7. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    I am in Portland which would be an easy first night stop if you ride. You are welcome to crash here, PM me.
  8. holckster

Oddometer:
    Messydesk desk is on his way to meet up with Midlman and hitch a ride to Northern California tomorrow.

Glad this worked out and thanks to Midlman for the lift.:clap

See you guys tomorrow evening.:freaky

Doug
  9. holckster

Oddometer:
    Messydesk stayed for 2 nites (took him shopping, worked on bike and took a short ride in foothills Sat.) and he left this morning for Yosemite Nat. Park, over Tioga Pass and south down 395 to meet up with Mark in Bishop (thanks to the Tent Space List) for tonight.

He'll be going thru Death Valley to Vegas tomorrow.

On to grand Canyon and Flagstaff on Tuesday.

Then east on 70 towards Oklahoma City and on to Houston.

Anyone along the way got a place to stay, or want to ride along drop him a PM. Great guy, I look forward to his trip reports soon on his Adventure to South America with MotoDiscovery on his KTM 990 Adv.

Good luck Dave (Messydesk) and safe travels.
  10. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am SW of Dallas/Ft.Worth and am expecting another ADV rider around the same time, but our new house on the Brazos River has extra space, so if you are in the area soon, I can give you a place to stay. Sounds like you are on your way to awesome ride/adventure. Makes my Alaska ride seem like a Sunday ride..PM me if you need info.
  11. Messydesk

Oddometer: