The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. invy

invy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Tuscan for posting up the article on that highly modified TT600R - something to aspire to!

I thought I'd post up a couple of photos of my old 59X (done up in the '83 colour scheme, which I think looks best), and my latest toy (TT600R) which I'm trying to prune weight off after converting to e-start.
    The newer TTR has a lot to live up to, as the old 59X is lighter and slightly stronger in the power stakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Baloffski, brucifer, enduro16 and 7 others like this.
  2. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    The charge output is quite respectable on the TTR. The workshop manual states is 14V / 13A @ 5000rpm. Similar to the XT600. Easiest way to power your equipment would be to use the positive feed to the running/ park light and headlight negative. Is a normal DC power supply. No extra battery is needed.You need to be able to turn off any load you connect to the electrical system as you want all electrical power that is generated when kick starting bike to be used by the CDI, which is why connecting to the park light makes it easy as it can and should be turned off when kick starting bike.
    Baloffski and OzCRU like this.
  3. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    @invy
    Very Nice !! (& what a fantastic first post.)
    Great shots of your bikes, & love the farm background in the first ones as well.
    Thanks for sharing.

How did you go about the Electric conversion on the R bike? Did you use an XT donor motor?
    Then - How did you go about finding the oil tank? I've been looking for years, & only found one early in the piece - when I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do - I have regretted it every day that I didn't snap it up when I saw it.
    Lastly how did you go about the airbox, battery etc - did you source the TTRE parts as well or make your own?
    Very interested - I had been wanting to rebuild mine this way, but had basically given up. Now your's has rekindled the old thoughts.
    Would love to know more
    Cheers
  4. invy

invy n00b

Oddometer:
    @OzCRU

Yes, I originally bought an XT600E bottom end, but decided to modify things to suit my riding needs.

I fitted a spare TTR gearbox (better ratios for the dirt), along with the primary gear and clutch from a 59X. The barrel, head and cam are from a late model 59X with a sleeve fitted (original alloy one was damaged). Also running a 1mm oversize Wossner piston with 10.9:1 comp ratio.

The stator and cover are from a TTRE, as the XT one is different due to the oil line connection being on the main crank cases. I also added a kickstarter for peace-of-mind on desert trips.

The RE oil tank was purchased brand new. I think I got the last new one available in the world, but as you’ve found, they are the proverbial ‘rocking-horse poo’.

Lots of other RE parts have been added – rear subframe, battery box, rear guard insert, etc. These came up on UK eBay after a considerable time searching. Airbox is the standard 'R' one.

The wiring loom is a 'minimised' home-made version, as I couldn’t find a decent RE one. It uses a RE CDI/TCI due to the rotor pickup points being different on the e-start engine, but I’m planning to modify a spare ‘R’ rotor to allow me to go back to using the ‘R’ CDI.

All this has allowed me to keep the original TTR engine intact as a back-up in case things didn’t go according to plan, but haven’t needed it so far.

The e-start has been worth its weight in gold! A couple of weekends ago a group of us managed to get stuck on some rutted hill climbs, and having the ‘magic button’ for starting on the hills just made everything so much less tiring.

Now I just need to prune back the extra weight that I’ve added by doing the conversion!
    enduro16, tuscan, Ian_TT and 2 others like this.
  5. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend sent me a pic from his trip 7A2FC30E-F8EB-45E6-A9DA-5B25B60E0DDF.jpeg
    Now that’s a rally-fairing if I ever saw one! ;)
    Mr.JAJA and panterg55 like this.
  6. Mooo

Mooo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello TT600R

There is plenty of parts available http://www.biketeile-service.de/Yamaha-TT-600-21172/en/

also yamaha dealership can deliver engine parts, plastics are problem, nothing else. i own mine in supermoto style, rebuilt engine without any problems.
    here is mine

1999 year

powder coated frame- black

repainted plastic with car paint.
    some upgrades
    koso speedometer
    ignitech cdi programmable
    kehin fcr43 sign carb upgrade
    aftermarket headlight, now installing fro husky fe350 '17 model

IMG_20180509_214309_HDR.jpg IMG_20180527_135741_HDR.jpg
    PTR777 likes this.
  7. PTR777

PTR777 n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. I am using mine to explore nearby woods and backroads. Planning to add a rally style fairing and lower front fender.
    How much extrapower this cdi and carb swap gives?
  8. Ian_TT

Ian_TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Keihin FCR-MX 39 and Ignitech CDI equipped bike, in a side-by-side comparison was much faster than a stock bike. At 60 km/h the difference was ca. 2 bikes distance, in a "drag race". The MXRob Suzuki DR650 Keihin FCR conversion guide recommends a FCR MX 39 carb for these old aircooled thumpers, so I did that, versus the 41 mm.
  9. richeyroo

richeyroo KTM 690 Rally, ZXR750J1

Oddometer:
    My TT in Wales
    IMG_2439.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2452.JPG
    tuscan, Ian_TT, Tritwin and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really like your tank grafic, were can I buy them?
  11. richeyroo

richeyroo KTM 690 Rally, ZXR750J1

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, I don't know
    I bought the bike secondhand
    I want an R1 from about 2002 to match it but my wife doesn't understand these things yamaha-r1-00-01.jpg
  12. Timus

Timus n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there.
    Just joined, and first time poster on here, so first things first, beers are on me, and thanks for having me.

Ive got a 05 Belgarda, had it about 4 years now and really like it. Always liked the yamaha singles, had a couple of XT's over the years. My bike is the electric start version - my knees are 53 year sold, and need all the help they can get. Bit I started out with a kicker only version, loved it but it was a pain to start sometimes, so got the later one and put nice suspension from the old bike onto it. Straight swap , and a vast improvement. So thats where it is at the moment. Used the bike for trips to the Spanish pyrennees for the last 4 years, plus a bit of local laning, and general run about. Its been great, nice and simple, totally reliable, does everything my good mates 690 does, but on less fuel and for half the price. Love it!!!

Anyway, its not all sweetness and light right now, got a slight problem, was wondering if someone on here might shed some light on it.

The bike was smoking a bit on startup, needed valve stem seals. So Ive done them, got it all back together, but having problems with the top engine mount, the triangular one on the rocker cover. Just cant get it to line up with holes. Can get the two bolts through the top tube no problem, but the 3rd hole is out. It all came apart very easily, Ive slackened / removed all the other engine mounts and jiggled it all about, just cant seem to get it so sit in the right place. I'm at a bit of a loss. What am I missing? PKUP 2016 024.jpg
    Tritwin likes this.
  13. Ian_TT

Ian_TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome.

In the past months removed and refitted my engine a couple of times, so I can say that, there's a lot of room there, you can move the engine around quite a bit, all you need to do is loosen all the mounting bolts, especialy the four bolts of the mounting plate at the front of the engine, and the swingarm shaft too. Check the position of the triangular mounting plates at the valve cover, they must be fitted the right way. If you succesfully bolt back everything, test fit the bash plate before tightening the nuts, because there's a chance it won't fit, if you misalign the engine on reassembly.
    Good luck!
  14. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After feeling Ok today, I decided to take the TT600 on to our local Barona MX track for a shake down and break in the motor after a rebuild. Some one told me not to change my Life style during this Treatment time. After building this bike over the last 4-6 Years, collecting parts for the last 20 years from Germany, East cost Colorado and San Diego, it final runs and I can ride it. Its a 1984 TT600 with electric starter and street legal. I know that I am not the fastest, but I am the funnies. Findings during the first run in 20 years: oil escape some where, Rear suspension to soft, not running on the secondary carburetor. I will work on this for he next time. An now I am Happy.

DSC07555.JPG
    DSC07556.JPG
    DSC07558.JPG

DSC07559.JPG
    DSC07563.JPG

DSC07564.JPG

DSC07566.JPG

DSC07570.JPG

DSC07572.JPG

DSC07574.JPG

DSC07575.JPG

DSC07576.JPG

DSC07580.JPG

DSC07583.JPG

DSC07584.JPG

DSC07586.JPG

DSC07592.JPG

DSC07593.JPG
    brucifer, OzCRU and panterg55 like this.
  15. Timus

Timus n00b

Oddometer:
    Finally got some time to have another look. According to the factory manual the head steady is the last thing to remove when dropping the motor, and consequently the first thing to reattach on assembly. So I removed all the other engine mounts completely, popped the swingman pivot out just enough to clear the frame on the rhs. With a bit of jiggling it all lined up.
    OzCRU likes this.
  16. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, guys,

I have bought a new pair of boots and need a longer gear lever for my 2004 TT 600 RE. Can you guys recommend me some and where to buy them?

Thank you very much!
  17. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love that 1983 TT 600 I had one for about 15 years, 1 the most reliable hammers I've ever owned,Road legal title, I bought it in 1984 what a nice looking, good bike...
  18. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have bought a new pair of boots and need a longer gear lever for my 2004 TT 600 RE. Can you guys recommend me some and where to buy them?

I know the shifter from a 86 XT600E is longer, I can check tomorrow and let you know the dimension. And it is steel, so it can be extended. I tock it of on my build and used the 84 TT600 Aluminum shifter.
  19. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!!!! Out of curiosity, are all XT and TT gear levers interchangeable?
  20. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Fantuzzi could you please tell me which gear lever is this? Thank you!!