The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Ian_TT

Ian_TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would unscrew it with a good water pump wrench. A little heat helps also.
    BR
    OzCRU likes this.
  2. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm @tscham, Did that have an o-ring seal under it?

I think I can be a bit of a butcher, So hopefully someone else will also chime in here & help perhaps with some better ideas. But here's what came to mind for me:
    Firstly I'd remove the tappet cover.
    Then Heat around it. If you have access to a big 'easy out' use that. If not buy a large reverse drill, to use in a similar way - (there's videos on YT).
    If not drill two holes away from the edge so you don't damage the threads on the tappet cover & use a multi fit spanner from an angle grinder, If you don't have one of those, use some 4-6mm bolts & bolt them up with a nut through a bit of flat bar to fit the hole spacing you've drilled & use that as the spanner.

Hope you can resolve it fairly simply!
    Cheers
  3. invy

invy n00b

Oddometer:
    These might work, or something similar from a pipe wrench range.

[​IMG]
    donewastingtime likes this.
  4. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply!! Okay, will give it a try. I'm afraid of the heat, though, as there's oil in there, and it might ignite.

Thank you for your reply!! Never checked the valves since I bought it 2 years ago (bout time), no idea if it has the o-ring. Orite, will refer to those suggestions if the pliers don't work! Thank you very much for the encouragement!

Thank you for replying!! Absolutely, will try those out. Maybe locking pliers too.
    OzCRU likes this.
  5. Crhands

Crhands n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi !! It's been a while since I've been reading this thread. I got a Yamaha TT600R 2001 and I've been disasembling it.

Have anyone opened the oil tank in two halfs? To clean the inside and the filter inside the oil tank? I don't find the Nm for the screwd on the manual (so I will asume 10Nm), is there a gasket between the two pieces? Or do I have to use some sort of chemical gasket when closing it?

IMG_20210905_132010.jpg IMG_20210905_132026.jpg

Thanks !! I will post pictures of the bike when finished!!
    OzCRU and tuscan like this.
  6. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's a factory sealed assembly.
    No parts listed for bolts or gasket between two halves..
    Do you need to separate it? As it contained oil, the interior should be corrosion free - maybe only needs a good flush and filter clean?
    Will be interesting to see inside when you get there

image.jpg
    OzCRU likes this.
  7. Crhands

Crhands n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't really "need" to separate it. I has an oil leak either in the oil hose or in the oil tank. Most likely is in the oil hose (pictures included). I am replacing the hose and as I have the tank out I thought I could open it and redo the gasket just in case, but I'm no expert and looks nobody did it (found no information about it on this thread or the internet), I don't want to "break" the oil tank.

IMG_20210905_131547.jpg
    IMG_20210905_131535.jpg

Attached Files:

OzCRU likes this.
  8. invy

invy n00b

Oddometer:
    I separated the oil tank on my TTR for the same reason. It wasn't necessary as the internals were already clean, and I found the filter just pulled out from where the lower oil pipe attaches.
    I used a high-temp liquid gasket to reseal it, and the bolts were just done up to a reasonable tension based on feel.

I'd suggest that the oil is coming solely from the hose, and you can probably leave the tank alone if you can get the filter out without disassembly.
    OzCRU and Crhands like this.
  9. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That hose looks like the villan of the piece..
    OzCRU and Crhands like this.
  10. Crhands

Crhands n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your replies.
    I will let the tank as it is for the moment, If the problem is not solved with the new hose (second hand really), i will open it and reseal it.

Thank you!
    OzCRU likes this.
  11. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep - that hose is toast. replace it & you'll be all leak free I reckon.
  12. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, guys!

Does anyone know of a not very expensive sidestand plate (for parking in sand) that fits the TT600RE's original stand?

Thank you!
  13. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose it depends on how many times you are going to need to park on a soft spot.
    I used to carry round one of those plastic items but have rarely used it. I've nearly always been able to park with firm material under the side stand and on rare occasions been able to find a stick or pebble to spread the load under the stand foot. Farm bikes round here often have a plate welded to the end of the side stand as they're constantly riding round on soft ground and stopping to open gates etc - this may be another option for you.
  16. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think welding a larger footplate is a simple solution, but if you don't have access to a welder or can't, then what about cutting a chunk of HDPE chopping board & fitting that to the base of the side stand?
    Chopping board is cheap, fairly light, easy to cut & shape, & has lots of other uses ... eg. I made my own chain slider.
    just make sure it is the proper HDPE stuff, IKEA sells it among others.
  17. tscham

tscham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Tuscan, I might go with that, indeed. Less weight on the bike and doesn't end up falling apart in a few months.

Thank you, Oz. Yes, welding is not possible for me. The hard plastic board might be a good one, but maybe I'm going with Tuscan's idea.

Thank you, all!!
    OzCRU likes this.