The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats some nice bikes you have there. One of the first upgrades i want to get for my bike, is the Acerbis tank.

Thanks for links...Ive been scratching my head trying to find out who sell parts for the TT600R. The bike is a grey import where i live, and i cant figure out how big the difference is between the XT600E engine (DJ02) and the TT600R (DJ01).

Seeing how you have 3 TT's, you must know a thing or 2 about them...Have you heard about the CDI "re-wiring" as described here: www.tt600.eu?

Click on Technik, TT600R and then Das Kabel and run it through Google Translate.

Apparently, pulling a wire out results in a better-running engine. Theres a dyno print-out on page 2. The difference should be noticeable, and the original wiring is only ron that way, because of some emission criteria the bike should meet. I havent tried it myself, and the only other place ive seen it mentioned is on the HUBB.

Have you heard about it or tried it?

ETA: I found someone discussing it here too: http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3115
  2. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's new to me - can't recall seeing that setup on my machines - I'll check it out when I'm home again.

All three bikes run the same more or less and the TTR600RE has a different system to the Belgarda models which have no battery.

Only the wiring diagram for the Belgarda shows that connector - not apparent on the RE model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The timing information as below seems to indicate the 6deg shift talked about on your link, but I can't find any reference in the manual to the two lines and how to make the change....

[​IMG]

Does yours run ok without the disconnection?
  3. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave Lambeth in the UK is another useful source of info on the TTR600....

http://www.davidlambeth.co.uk/

Might be worth a try if you get into trouble..
  5. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my TT and it's my first one to boot, so I haven't messed around with anything yet. Mine runs just fine and it's my impression that it's a mod to set free some extra power.

I'm not so keen on messing around with the CDI just yet...my last bike, a Honda AX-1, blew a CDI and I actually had to take it apart to fix it as it was practically impossible to find one in Beirut, Lebanon. No small feat, but it worked out in the end, thanks to the help of my dad. The experience left me kinda CDI-traumatized, so I don't think I'll be pulling any wires just yet

This what the TT600R.Europe article says. It's been put through Google Translate.

Here's the printout and a diagram of which wire it is. My limited German tells me, that the blue curve is the one with the wire unplugged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    simonfinch1 likes this.
  6. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By the way, I appreciate the links you posted. Always great to know where to look for help in case of trouble
  7. Sammax

Sammax Unconfused

Oddometer:
    So was the TTR600 ever available in the US? I would love to have one of these.
  8. jjxlrider

jjxlrider Part time adult

Oddometer:
    Nope, the US never got the TT after '86ish, kicker only, We even barely got the E-start XT for a few years and then thats it. Thank the guy at Yamaha US , who is a street bike lover, has no interest in the DS market so refuses to even look at it for import. Suzuki and Honda love the guy.

9. Sammax

Sammax Unconfused

Oddometer:
    Seriously!

I had that XT in about 89 or so, and before that the 1977 TT500. Bought a WR450 recently but TTR600 would have been much more my style. Oh well.
  10. Fantuzzi

Fantuzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice work, so far.
  11. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see this link back up top.:freaky:freaky:freaky:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:eek1:eek1:eek1
  12. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any info on rebuilding the old tt600 rear shock. I have asked 3 of 4 times already on this thread, but no response :(: . I know it can be done, I constantly read about restorations and they have brand new looking tt600 shock's replacing there worn out one's. I also checked you can't buy those shock's from yamaha anymore, they are not being produced anymore.

So again any info will be appreciated.
  13. Fantuzzi

Oddometer:
    I had my ride on Saturday, before planned heart surgery. Unfortunately the oil rings got clogged, causing some oil burning at cold temps. I will swap the piston assembly once the motor is open. Strange to see that problem with only 15.000 k's on the clock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's any different than any other shock. Have you tried the German TT600 forum? They're pretty helpful to English requests.
  15. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Fantuzzi

Oddometer:
  17. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The older bikes like mine have a non-rebuildable shock like most cars. you can't buy parts for it.
  18. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Take them to the right person and you may not be able to get official parts for it, but you can get parts that fit it nicely.
  19. mungus

mungus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no such thing as a non rebuildable shock on any TT600...

They can all be stripped and rebuilt using Race Tech or other brands internal parts, from a seal head change to a complete shaft transplant, and there are plenty of new springs available too. Any dealer who tells you otherwise is full of sh*t! And probably angling to sell you a new aftermarket shock.

Forget what the factory manual says about shocks being non rebuildable, even the earliest KYB shocks from back in 1983 can be rebuilt to a better than new standard. The only issue is the earlier shock bodies (the tube) were not hard anodised, so some are worn where the piston travels inside. In that case it can be so expensive as to not be worth it. Then there are quite a few brands of new shocks you can choose to replace them.

Any competent shock shop with your shocks dimensions can supply something from basic to race ready. It's just a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend!
  20. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Another nice one on FB
    [​IMG]