The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    The enrichment circuit is for decel poping but does it by adding fuel , never thought of it as a source for richening the mixture at a steady throttle , but maybe it can. The plunger behind it is free and the spring good ? What about the idle mixture screw ? it does add some fuel beyond idle. Have you tried to see the difference between say 2500rpm ,3500, 4500 rpms to see if it gets worse or better ?

I have one set of carbs for my XT's that I have the smallest pilot jet (42?) I can get plus the mixture screw is only out 1/2turn just to get it lean enough at low rpms ,the primary needle is shimmed down as much as it can in that setup ,plus the mains are on the small side as well but closer to normal. I have swapped sets around on several of my XT's and that set always runs extremely rich ,have never seen a reason why. Changed every part around as well , no clue, but it starts and runs the bike it's on right now very reliable, even in the cold, so I don't care to mess with it right now.

2. thebaz

thebaz n00b

Oddometer:
    I pulled the plunger out of the enricher and it all looks good. It was free and no blockages that I could see. I originally had the idle screw 1.5 turns out, but set it to 2.5 turns out, (apparently factory setting).
    It idled fine, started ok, but ran exactly the same. I have had this since new and it always ran good. I worked out a fail safe way of starting the TT when it had been unused for a long time.
    Turn on the fuel, lean bike over till fuel flows out carb overflow. Stand bike vertical, apply choke, kick. Usually would start second kick. Even the last time I took her out, started second kick, idled great, started surging as soon as cruise speed was achieved and gradually got worse. Still idled fine and would accelerate if the throttle was opened, but run like a dog as soon as the throttle was backed off even a fraction.
    Another thing I am curious about and it seem I am not alone, is to sync the carbs you either have the secondary carb contact to start opening at 7mm slide height and have the butterfly over horizontal or have the butterfly horizontal but open later. Which is the most critical? Thanks heaps for your help by the way and Merry Christmas.
  3. thebaz

thebaz n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, btw, checked the enricher diaphragm for leaks an it seems fine.
  4. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I set my secondary to come on 6mm after the primary , the butterfly's never really went past "flat" that I know of even though as you said they're full open before the throttle stops . I thought there is a stop to prevent that . It may not matter that much anyway , can't say for sure though.

Next would be to run it at the rpm as it surges for a couple miles , then suddenly shut the motor off without letting the motor idle down so you can read the plug as it was running at that time . Slowing down and shutting down as normal can effect the plug color so you want to freeze it at the right rpm that is wanted to read .It's called a plug chop . Nowadays I have a wideband O2 sensor to see what my motors are doing rather than by ear or feel , helps to know if it's fuel or if the cdi is going bad.
  5. Joemalcom

Joemalcom Coach 1970

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted. I am interested for either. Joe
  6. Joemalcom

Joemalcom Coach 1970

Oddometer:
    ....of those cylinders for a TT or Xt.
  7. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    They're all for xt's so they have the steel liner instead of the nikasil plating . They fit either way.
  8. thebaz

thebaz n00b

Oddometer:
    It seems getting a carby kit is a bit easier said than done. I decided to venture to my local bearing distributor and see if I could match up the o-rings. Managed to match all but the idle adjustment o-ring but got close enough to try the only one they could supply. Checked the manifolds, no leaks and still soft and pliable after over thirty years so replaced the o-rings and re-assembled. flushed every orifice with carby cleaner and air. Had to make a gasket for the secondary dash pot housing out of cardboard as couldn't get the right thickness gasket paper. Used old choke and enricher diaphragm and replaced hose from enricher to secondary carb. Bolted up, started second kick and is back to it's old self. No missing, popping or surging. If anyone wants to know I can post the o-ring sizes. Thanks for all help from the forum.
  9. Schiznit

Schiznit n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, Anyone know which wheels fit the TT600E -96? Seems to be the same back wheel as TT600RE -2004, only the hub has a different number.

Will KTM LC4 wheels fit or something else? Really would like another set of wheels for my bike.
  10. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Latest photos of my TT 600 Rigo, the closest replica I can get to Peterhansel's ride at Nevada Rally '95

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some instrumentation needed, with room for an Usb/12V
    [​IMG]
    GREWUPIN_D11 and JensEskildsen like this.
  11. Fantuzzi

Fantuzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So beautiful. :-)
    Gian likes this.
  12. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks excellent with all the right gear on it :clap:clap:clap

You've built some good bikes recently eh?
    Gian likes this.
  13. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my latest and probably last modification to the TT600RE....

GYTR 270mm front disc and caliper bracket to bring the brakes back up from the WR450F 250mm diameter to the same as the TT600RE's 267mm. The WR brakes worked but needed a handful to bring the speeds down on the road.

Raining cats and dogs right now so 1st road test will be tomorrow... Hopefully...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gian likes this.
  14. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He he ... The new 270mm disc is a significant improvement - more stopping for same lever effort.
    Now just enough and not too much braking on the front - perfect....

Now to sort the pegs height (too high by 30mm) and bar vibrations on left side...
  15. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, Gian! Really nice!!
    Gian likes this.
  16. Schiznit

Schiznit n00b

Oddometer:
    I own a TT600e -96 (4LV) and I have a plan to remove the rear shock (Not Ohlins) and leaving it for a refurbish, new oil and gas. In that course I would like to install a stiffer rear spring to compensate better for my weight (110kg). Wondering if anyone here know where to get a stiffer spring for this?

I will ride 90% tarmac to and from work so I don't need to upgrade to Ohlins or something like that, just stiffer.

Same with the front, have refurbished the front suspension but stiffer springs would be nice. Did find these on Ebay for example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/361494879244?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Are those worth considering?
  17. Fantuzzi

Oddometer:
    I have lowered stainless steel foot peg brackets on mine and they are very nice and comfortable.. The design and production was made by a guy from the German TTR forum.

High
    [​IMG]

Low
    [​IMG]

High
    [​IMG]

Low
    [​IMG]
  18. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's perfect Fantuzzi thanks - I was going to fab up my own but that will save a lot of heartache.

Don't happen to have the link do you??

Cheers
  19. Fantuzzi

Oddometer:
  20. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantuzzi...is it for general comfort you lowered the pegs or for ergonomics while riding standing?