The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about a Oil cooler in the return line? I think to machine one from a piece Aluminum. Since I use the 3TB motor in a 84 TT600 frame with out oil in the frame, only the TT steel oil reservoir.
    67402767_2638489036161499_4932009532676112384_o.jpg
    enduro16 and tuscan like this.
  2. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    At a guess I dont think the early XT/ TT's would be so bad although standard still run a solid bashplate that minimizes airflow around the crankcase as compared to the 3TB XT open style "protector". The oil tank is in a lot better position on early XT/ TT/ Tenere and would think there is quite a bit of cool air swirling around the tank as is right next to the rear tyre. Maybe because the TTR has the oil tank in the hot air flow from the engine and solid bashplate it runs hotter?. The early TT's also ran a vented front fender . Do you have one of those? They can be hard to get. The early XT600's ran a non vented fender.

I have a 34L tenere and will get around to doing some side by side testing against my 3TB XT and TTR one day. The 34L has a vented front fender and has a small oil cooler though so how much that helps is to be determined. A 34L style oil cooler on the TT would be quite neat?
  3. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On both the TT600R and TT600RE the oil tank next to the rear shock gets quite hot and in summer it can be uncomfortable on the left leg. Given your oil reservoir is not finned which would aid cooling, it would not do any harm to install a cooler if you can - possibly an XR650L type cooler could work if you could fab up the necessary brackets....

https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-xr650l-xr600-nx650-oil-cooler-from-gsmark.652313/
  4. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yes I have seen these and I question whether they help overall oil temp reduction. The position they are placed then messes with the original airflow over the cylinder fins and crankcase. I couldnt see that anyone has done any testing to see whether it actually reduces oil temp overall. The 34L factory oil cooler on the other hand is positioned behind and away from the engine and uses a scoop to draw cool air over it. Not messing with the airflow over the engine.
  5. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry I missed that - sounds like the best solution if you can make the 34L unit fit.
  6. -H-

-H- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your comments dzl. I already have had my share of hot engines with long travel bike XJR1300 in city traffic and TT350 in slow marsh sections. Even burnt the clutch once. Tempereatures are easily above 120 C, on both. My own fault, love the looks of air cooled engines :1drink

So far I have not used RE much but once it's up again it'll be the next trip companion.

The fender on my RE has melted and if it's not original then obviously due to different shape. I will have to look for original and meanwhile cut this shorter. Thermometer dip stick on oil tank I already have.

Looking for this 34L system.

I alredy bought a cooler for 350 but not yet installed:
    IMG_8005.JPG
    Idea with this was to locate it (on TT350) on right side, next to cylinder and above exhaust but the rather small oil passages in this block made me to be careful.
  7. -H-

-H- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Front fender seems to be available as original so I ordered that.

Off-the-road.de tells that their oil cooler (180€, temp regulator +90€) can reduce engine temperature up to 15 degC if the carb is adjusted properly, not to run on too lean mixture. Their racing header would be needed (200€) and additional racing carb set (180€).

Wouldn't a pro's carb setting do the same? Anyone done - results?
  8. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    I really doubt the claim of 15C improvement and the added complexity of that system I would avoid it. What sort of temps are you going to be running in.? Unless youre going to be running in very hot temps in above high 30's and doing slow knarly tracks or very high speed running in those temps you will be fine.
  9. -H-

-H- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm building this bike for gravel road trips. With better suspension than RE originally has. Temperatures will seldom be above 30 C in Scandinavia. And not on highways, rather slow roads <80 km/h. But, city visits and paths there will be. And long way to Alps.
    So, most likely not really a problem and I'll have time to see. Specially this spring. But, now I have time to fix it so experiences shared here are good information to me, Thank you all! :-)
  10. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding with my friend today,100 km .Still some snow in shady places, even on the Road A few km back on the road..... 28A0C834-F676-4589-9B2B-84407CED0A88.jpeg
    OzCRU likes this.
  11. Mr.JAJA

Oddometer:
    And this is In CALIFORNIA. 87624929_3118610331482698_2308995433604579328_o.jpg
    OzCRU and Tritwin like this.
  12. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost the same , 14 degres celsius yesterday in Ringsaker,Norway. 2008 I bought a very Nice 1964 Chevrolet Chevelle SS from the original owner in Oregon North of California?! Maybe not far from were you live?? Unfurtenly sold to raise some Money in a house Project after only two years ownership…….
  13. Mr.JAJA

Oddometer:
    I am in San Diego, all the way on the south end to Mexico BAJA.
    OzCRU likes this.
  14. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    652A5AF6-1B4D-49CB-B828-FA493BDF7882.jpeg A small test drive with a New acerbis fuel tank and original exhaust fitted
    OzCRU likes this.
  15. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B9D2FDDA-488C-4143-85C4-F9FD3CDDCC84.jpeg Helgøya, Norway
    dzl and OzCRU like this.
  16. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E19CD75D-70AC-49C7-8237-C10039330B63.jpeg
    dzl and OzCRU like this.
  17. jagerb

jagerb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick story on my TT from 89 :)

I bought it a month or 2 ago, from a guy with (arguably) bad taste:
    IMG_5470.JPG

My plan is to take it back to the original colors and build a good trail bike out of it. I will also put some modern stuff on it, like a trailtech that is headed my way as we speak.

Things i've done so far:
    - Some original colors back
    - New handlebars, handguards and grips
    - Original headlight back on
    - A big service (ofcourse)
    - Fitted KTM footpegs because the original ones are absolutely tiny

Here are some pics:
    IMG_6025.JPG IMG_6011.JPG IMG_5992.JPG

Like i said; Next up is the trailtech. Are there other mods you guys would suggest? Cheers!
  18. johnnyj1000

johnnyj1000 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks. Just popping up to say hi from Crete, Greece. Hope I'm not gate crashing. My bike here is a 2004 TT600RE, which is fairly stock. I kind of bought it by mistake and yet now I wouldn't be without it, so much so that I am thinking of taking it off the road for a bit for some TLC. Really it needs a good service, but I'd also like to change the fork seals, sprockets, chain, pads, discs etc. Oh, and give the frame a new coat of silver plus replace the graphics with new originals .

It is the ideal bike for here, and copes well with the variable grades of asphalt and of course the dirt roads. Definitely a keeper.

All the best

John

20190514_172113.jpg
    arkastt, Tritwin, dzl and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ian_TT

Ian_TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice original-looking paintwork you have there. Good looking bike, congrats!
  20. johnnyj1000

johnnyj1000 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ian. Since the photo was taken last year I have changed the mirrors for XT items. The box makes the bike look a bit clumsy but boxes are essential here in Greece for shopping etc. The paintwork looks good from a distance but really, to make it nice, it could do with a re-paint as it is a bit chipped in places. John