The Ultimate Alaskan/GWN '06-'07 "Silly Season" Hijack

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by helikron, Nov 6, 2006.

1. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Legion, On your roads south keep an eye open for that yellow R100 w/sidecar driven by a Norweigen. He departs Panama on Monday for parts south trying to catch friends flying in from the homeland. He knows you will be dusting roads down that way.
    Have a safe trip and post if you can.
    Paul
  2. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    I just got confirmation from Jim's staff that I'll get a set of their last run of cylinder head guards. :clap They seem like mandatory equipment for AK/Canada/GNW! :nod

This is the very, very last production run and there are PERHAPS a couple of sets available for 1100/1150 oilhead bikes. They're fulfilling any backorders now, and MIGHT have an extra.
    http://www.jimmyjib.com/guards.htm

If you want/need a set, get on the phone ASAP. :deal
  3. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone!

Rainy ride on NYDay (Bremerton Naval Shipyard):

[​IMG]

It's already running better in '07 (thx Grüvers!):

[​IMG]
  4. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Nice composition....I was stationed at Bremerton for a new construction back in the late 70's....no one drew a sober breath for months. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  5. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Excellent post my man..... wear it proudly. Fite
    Send more pictures. Koool stuff.
  6. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Cross-link from the group ride.

The day before I rode w/ Reilly/01mtnfreak to the south of Tacoma. Route 7 to Centralia, 508 to 161, north to home, about 220 miles. Mudslides, icy corners, and drunk locals, but some awesome roads for when the elevations thaw out toward Mt. Rainier.
    Never got >35°F the whole day. And yes, it does actually snow here. :lol3
    Note the new cupholder:
  7. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Santa gots a baaaaad lean goin' on; levered the rear tire right up!
  8. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Hey Heli, nice scooter!:clap

BTW, That last pic i posted had zero alcohol involved, just done in spirit of scarin' folks for Holloween. Seems like it worked!:eek1 :lol3

I hope you have a great 2007 and hope to see you in Dawson.:deal

frank
  9. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Thx, KF; it's a good one! Whichever gear it's in, just twist-n-go torque everywhere. Telelever is stunning... and I'm even adapting to the unique BMW switchgear. I likey likey so far. Now, to add about 2.5" of seat foam; my knees hate the yoga bend!

It worked... and the scarin' it gave was more like a 'scarring'-- as in, a branding of the retinas. :D

#38 will attend. :nod Happy trails, and :thumb for '07! btw, we're getting Kodiak-like rainfall today. I put up a canopy for my chopsaw this morning and it collapsed just before lunch... 30 gallons of cold H2O directly into my toolbox below the saw stand. :bluduh I'm going to adopt the Prince William Sound technique of storing my tools in 5-gal buckets of WD-40.
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:

Hey Heli, Good Gusgus pics, I just saw them an hour ago. Funny stuff. I miss so much having a life sucking job. But it beats the, the, what ever, I mean it sure as hell beats the , the, uh, the damned thing, that , , , Oh never mind. You know what I mean right?

That is such a sweet bike my friend. I like that it is all set up. The headlights rock dude. Those extra lights will really help in a state where it never gets dark, but what the hell everyone else uses them right? Including me!:huh

I sat on your WeeStrom. Nice ride also. Is the seat stock? How about fuel mileage, per mile and per tank. Just asking.......:wink:

Now this WD-40 idear is a bit off the splittin maul, my friend.

Try this one on for size, simply work in drier places. A simple idea, which has done me well for a few years. Another simple idea is only drink when alone,or with somebody. I never have found that to be a bad thing either.
    So the moral to this story is stay dry and drink. Oh wow, I think I just found the perfect motto for Big Lake.
    Big Lake, where we drink and stay dry!
    Ok it needs some work, but a great start.:lol3

Thanks K5, this thing is incredible!

[​IMG]
  11. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    :tb :tb :tb
    That is an immaculate creation!! I'd sell a WeeStrom for one of those :knary and go flat-trackin' wit legion, or I'd hang some knobbies an' have a trials day wit legion. That bike looks like a solution to many of life's persistent problems.
  12. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Didja make vroom-vroom noises? :D

You need one. I sincerely believe that everyone in Alaska needs one. I actually miss that lil' fucker, so spank its tank for me, eh?
    The 650 Strom is an astoundingly competent bike, and I miss it dearly when this <strike>high-market pig</strike> GS gets just a lil' off-balance, or starts arguing with Einstein. I would LOVE to swap the WeeStrom transmission into the GS... that'd be impossible, but we're magicalizationizing here.

The seat is a fair-trade swapper from AKTroy's BigStrom, which made it +1" mo bettah for my knees, and note the Fastway footpegs at -3/4". I tried JMetteer's Russel Day-Long saddle during his visit, but he's a 5'-8" scrawny fucker, so never mind. Didja dig the AKLeather buttpad outta the left pannier? There's another 1/2". Hell, if the pavement's dry by The Abbey, run it out a few miles and say Hi to Keith (who also rode it back in August). The fuel is Sta-Bil-ized, but everything else should be good to go; check the tire pressure, too. Insurance is your issue, but what's a few grand between friends?

In my experience, MPG with OEM gearing (15/47) was <40 most of the time on the 5.8 gallon tank; you'd see 225 miles when running moderately :rolleyes. In reality, I'm a fat fucker and I wring that motor's svelt little neck all the time. I didn't buy that bike to go slow and lollygag up and down the Parks or Denali or wherever. Current gearing is 16/45, so I'm still getting 220 miles/tank with much saner RPMs/usable gearing. If you want to go all NASA with it, carry an extra gallon or two in flat Kolpin ATV tanks strapped to one or both of the HT panniers. That'll be my strategy next... summer, year, and forever.
    That is to say: buy a WeeStrom and get Wilbers shocks w/ good spring rates. That's the best money I ever spent on that bike. I don't weigh 170#, and neither do you. The difference is stunning with correct suspension. Don't let AKTroy talk you into a 1000, either. :nono

You're right. Some of the wizards out there used #2 oil, drop-oil from ??? crank cases, or straight diesel... :D
    OTOH, the first sign of pit rust on the ol' Starret gauge is a harsh reminder that ye better be respecting your elders. Good thing that Lie-Nielsen planes are silicon bronze...

The only desert I can stand is booking about -30°F right now...

I'm really, really looking forward to DeathValleyDaze at the end of January... :1drink
  13. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Where is Tom S, man of 999 posts? Saving the Big Thou for something special? :ear

Last posted on 12-19 in JoMomma.
    Last GWN post was on 12-09: [and I thank him for giving me a Soccer Mom fix... :tb]

linky :wink:
  14. Fireground

Fireground Parking the engine

Oddometer:
    Maybe he's preparing "The Mother Of All Photoshops!" :D
  15. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Heli, nice posts....the GS is looking great. Way to bait that hook for Tommy Boy....I've been trying to get him to come out and play for a few weeks now.

I think you're correct....TB must be preparing the mother of all photoshops. Here is one he's sent a couple of days ago so I know he's around. He's had a few "transportation" issues....now only has one old rolling cage with bald front tires. Nissan Sentra I believe.

Anyone seen this guy?

[​IMG]
  16. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Nice..... TommyBoy and Rollie Free.
    TB... you're keeping pretty good company these days.
    Where the f&@k you been?
  17. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Man, that picture is WAY cool!

Awsome! I really like it!

It is photochop, right? :lol3

I hope to learn some day.

Mark H.
  18. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    2002 R1150GS pair for sale, delivered to AK!! I'll pre-buy inspect for anyone interested.

The blue bike has 28k miles, ABS, heated grips and is $9500.
    [​IMG]

The silver bike has 19k miles, ABS, heated grips, performance exhaust, luggage, and is $10500.
    [​IMG]
  19. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Yeah, saw that... Trying to talk a lurker here into picking one of 'em up. He says no, but we'll have a baseball bat talk to his knees if he doesn't give into peer pressure... :deal Doesn't look like they will be up here in time for D2D this year though...
  20. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's cold here. Hasn't come close to 35°F all day :vardy and my toolbelt won't flex in anything less than 40°F.
    :D

I'm route planning to give a repair estimate for a yacht's galley table tomorrow morning on Lake Union :boatrepairsmilie, watch Dakar videos in Anacortes on Sunday :beer, fit in a couple hundred miles' riding on Monday :ricky, and somehow get to Death Valley Daze by the 24th... :jkam

Any suggestions? :ear