1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Ultimate Canol Thread:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by windquest, Sep 29, 2011.

1. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Another thing which people don't seem to take into consideration is the damage done when riding off the trail on a motorbike or a quad. Damage to the vegetation can take literally decades to repair itself in that climate. Someone might think that they're 're an ADV god for making it further than anyone else on a bike, but the damage you do to the landscape in the process is more than anyone with that attitude will understand. Was it ten, fifteen years ago that a group of Landover enthusiasts tried to see how far they could get? The ruts they left in the wilderness when leaving the trail to navigate around obstacles are still plainly visible today. I fully support the adventure aspect of it, but you have to be respectful of where you are and what you are doing.
    GSPD750 and shuswap1 like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I met a university professor on the trail that was doing a study of how the land was recovering from the initial Canol pipeline project. Pretty interesting hearing him talk about it. Those who have visited the area probably recognized that much of the "disturbance" that was there actually looked pretty recent compared to what it might be like in a different climate after all those years. I think his work ties into trying to figure out the impact of and potentially long recovery time for what some might describe as industrial "injuries" to the land as some enterprises operate in the region. I don't want to get into an environmental/motorized debate. I'm only pointing out that people do look at these kinds of things for a variety of reasons.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mile 212 just across Yukon/NT border:
    http://www.dechenla.ca/lodge_facilities.php

I think they wrote somewhere they're accessible from Maximilian pass airfield which is on YT side.

GrizzLee and squonker like this.
  4. dimension4

dimension4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys is the south Canol open in winters? The Yukon DOT page says the Canol is "Closed - Impassable". Top of the Wold just says "Closed".
  5. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are closed in the winter.
  6. dimension4

dimension4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured that was the case. The word "impassable" got me thinking there was a washout.
  7. Ryan Bradburn

Ryan Bradburn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea when it's set to open?
  8. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Last year it was June 13th or 14th
    cyclopathic likes this.
  9. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    I would think they would both be open soon. We are planning on riding the south canol on our way to do the Dempster in mid-June. If they don't show it as opening by the end of this month I will get in touch with buddy's in Whitehorse.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    When are you guys going? We are doing Cambell on 16 on the way to Dempster.. and my partners not interested in Canol. I will probably hit it after D2D.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  11. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    We catch the ferry north to Skagway on June 16th. We will spend a day or two visiting friends in Whitehorse then do the South Canol up to Ross River. My bride wants to take the ferry and ride part of the North Canol but I am not really interested in that.... we will see. We might make a pass threw D2D if the timing works. Then it's up the Dempster to Tuk. Then the plan is top of the world, and back up the Dalton. We will see, weather will dictate our route :-) We have about three weeks to wander.
    After we get back I have a few days to repack and I will take off on my Wing to see family in Michigan and do another Great Lakes Ironbutt ride that IBAJIM is putting on.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  12. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    I just checked and the South Canol is listed as open for the year.
  13. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    The south Canol was nicely graded last year in late June. I rode it immediately after the work was done first week of July. Smooth as a baby's bottom. The section north of Quiet Lake is more interesting than the south so you might plan to camp there - plenty of idea spots. The campgrounds at Quiet Lake were packed so I avoided those.

North Canol had a washout last year and was "closed" - I read somewhere it is still closed.

Plenty of bear scat along the road so watch out for Yogi...
    eemsreno and Bigbob1 like this.
  14. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    The section with Difficult driving is the North Canol. Every year it seems to get rougher from what I year. Do search I belive there is a report from a GSA rider in the last year or two that did part of the North Canol, it had lot's of pictures.
  16. chief 06

chief 06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Great find, thanks for posting this...tough character this Guy Blanchet was I read in
    "The Northern Horizons of Guy Blanchet: Intrepid Surveyor, 1884-1966"
  17. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    My Bride and I rode the South Canol on Monday. It was not in great shape but not too bad. There was water across the road in 3 spots. We rode it from south to north and only saw 4 pickups and one Gsa. Bear crap was all over the road. The Dalton was a smoother ride than this.
    cyclopathic, jackalsour and eemsreno like this.
  18. dimension4

dimension4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How deep was it?
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    the bear crap?
  20. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Well the crap was big and deep in spots...
    The flooded road was not bad, about a foot deep, I think beavers where in the area
    morerpmfred likes this.