1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Ultimate Canol Thread:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by windquest, Sep 29, 2011.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah you see it alot on remote Yukon roads.

We did Cambell coming to Dawson talked to locals they say no briges past Yukon/NT border. Water crossing could be easy or impassible depending if it rained upstream. We were planning to do it on the way home but too tired maybe next time. Time to head home.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was really impressed with the scenery on the South Canol and on the Campbell between Ross River and Carmacks.
    In all our trips to the Yukon these two highways where a first time for us.
    eemsreno and cyclopathic like this.
  3. dogon2whls

dogon2whls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you sure are going to give it a pass? i’m here in dawson and was going to head that way after i clear my after D2D head and pack up the bike.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not this time. We just got back from Tuk hasn't been on the bike 2 days feels great.

Just sent you PM
  5. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    Bumping this thread for any info on Canol Rd conditions, both North and South segments. Hoping to do both in 6 - 8 weeks from now.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you will find much up to date info here your best bet is to talk about N Canol to locals at Ross River ferry. Or call RCMP they have HQ in town a couple hundred meters before ferry. There is also a general store with gas station they might be willing to answer your question.

South Canol is well travelled locals use it to go shopping to Whitehorse good luck.
    Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
  7. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    We rode the South Canol a few days after it opened for the season last month. It was flooded in a few areas but nothing to be worried about. It was our first time and it was very scenic. The North Canol was closed at the time.
  8. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son was 70 kms up the south Canol earlier this week dropping of a canoe group. Said it was fine and was meeting RV's traveling the road.
  9. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We mountain biked from 222 to Norman Wells again last week. Planned on making the return trip too but had a bike issue that we couldn't trust would hold up.

A fellow from Ireland on an Enduro machine crossed on the ferry with us. He had no problems making it up past 222 in a day, he turned back before Dechenla lodge to go camp in Mac Pass.

The rest of the trail isn't getting any easier! We did it in six days this time (vs. eight in 2012). There is a serious lack of atv traffic on the far end now that Dodo canyon is blocked, although the lake is definitely draining. The Twitya cable ferry has never been put back into service after it was tested in 2016.

Also note the trail cleanup is happening this summer. All the buildings are being demolished with a few left standing and boarded up. The telegraph line is gone completely. Different feel to the trail now for sure.
    selkins, RevyRider and cyclopathic like this.
  10. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Was on both the South and North Canol this summer. Finally made it to the NWT border. All I can say is WOW!!! I think the North Canol is the best scenery in all of the Yukon.. Amazing!!!! Nahanni Range Road is a close second. I plan to return with better weather and more time allotted to explore up there. DAMN FINE COUNTRY up there.

IMG_7161 (1024x683).jpg
    IMG_7148 (1024x683).jpg IMG_7149 (1024x683).jpg IMG_7151 (1024x683).jpg
    Deadly99, GSPD750, Square1 and 6 others like this.
  11. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noooooo!!! Say it ain't so! All the derelict stuff out there is what makes the North Canol the North Canol. You can get mountains and rivers anywhere in Canada.

Now you've got me bummed. The North Canol is on my bucket list. Shit, by the time I get up there it'll probably be paved and have a Starbucks every 10 miles...
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hiked the Chilkoot Trail and part of the allure was all the stuff left behind by the gold rushers, it was like a living museum!
    canuck 1 and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is still plenty of cool stuff out there, plenty of car hulks, graders, piles of barrels etc. All the old pump stations are still intact but boarded up. A couple of wanagons that they missed too.

Biggest bummer is not being able to read the decades of messages people have scrawled inside the buildings as they pass through.

One of my favorites at Pump Station 6 was a guy in the 90s who tried it three times with a pickup truck, Suzuki 4x4 and finally 8-wheel argo. "Never made it past Caribou pass I'm done with this trail!"

Canol Outfitters (formerly Rams Head) has replaced horses with helicopters. A few ATVs have made the trip in the past ten years but nothing really recent. So it's basically the half dozen or so hikers/bikers every year who are keeping the trail in use. Its getting more and more grown in. That may or may not change when the cleanup is complete and they turn it into a park.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    The intent of the clean up is not to make it into a park. Structurally unsound buildings will be torn down. Any asbestos will be removed from site. What do they call those big oil storage tanks, is it Baileys? I can't remember, but anyway they'll be welded closed and the bottom 6ft or so of ladder removed. All glass and any liquids will be removed from vehicles. Drums are to be condensed rather than left strewn about the place. Contaminated soil and buried batteries are to be excavated. That's all that I remember off the top of my head, I'd have to check my notes to see whether there was anything else.
    eemsreno likes this.
  15. SSPhoto

SSPhoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Did the south and north Canol roads end of June. The north canol was the highlight of the trip for sure and I'd highly recommend it to anyone on a suitable bike. It's a good road all the way to the border - some potholes and the odd patch of mud (it rained) but I'd drive it in a 2wd car no problem. Bring lots of gas as there's lots of side roads to explore. This should be a must ride road for an adventure rider!
  16. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The clean up is likely nearly done. We passed the crews in July just finishing up at Mile 108 and they'd done everything between there and Mile 0. They were working out of Norman Wells via helicopter and were re-locating to 222 to finish the job from the other side. There are few buildings left mostly the pump stations and one or two larger buildings. All the smaller buildings, quonsets etc. have been knocked down and left in a pile. Some of the more interesting camps, like Camp 80, have no buildings left standing. Everything else is basically as you described it.

Once the clean-up is finished there will be a territorial park established. It's part of the Sahtu final agreement and will be called Doi T'oh Territorial Park. Of interest to this group here is that the plans I've seen for the park will ban motorized use in the summer. (They will still allow snowmobiles in the winter). So if anyone here is still thinking of trying to make it to Norman Wells on a motorbike I'd get on it sooner rather than later.
    Deadly99 and squonker like this.
  17. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found that Google streetview has travelled at least some of the Canol rd, north and south. Lots of laneway type road, likely before you get to the really interesting stuff, I guess?
  18. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Ride it and see..:-)... the south is just a dirt road with some splendid scenery
  19. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WHAT? Why??.....When I can 'ride' it from the mouse pad!
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  20. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Canol/Yukon Hwy6 was easy fun riding and the weather was great too.

0823181528a.jpg

0823181539_HDR.jpg
    0823181742_HDR.jpg
    Fishenough, LittleMac and eemsreno like this.